Talk

Advanced search

to think this is not a career choice of a decent person?

(55 Posts)
itsbeingsocheerful Mon 09-Nov-09 17:04:09

DH has played around with tarot since he was a teenager. Always out most when he's feeling stressed, unsure of future etc.

I don't have any issue with and think they can be quite fun/diverting but mean absolutely nothing.

He was made redundant a couple of months ago, and the tarot have become almost a permanent fixture, which I sort of understand. But now he's talking about trying to turn it into a business - premium phoneline schtick - and has done quite a lot of detailed research.

I hate this idea with a passion, and am not sure I want to be with a man who thinks it's ok to prey on what I see as others' vulnerabilities. And for some reason the phoneline thing seems worse that a face/face reading.

He says I'm a 'stuck-up prig' to object. Am I?

Hullygully Mon 09-Nov-09 17:05:48

I don't know.

Tidey Mon 09-Nov-09 17:07:12

biscuit

That was my first ever biscuit. I feel so proud.

cocolepew Mon 09-Nov-09 17:07:18

Ask the cards.

mumblechum Mon 09-Nov-09 17:07:28

Hmm, no worse than those religious tv progs in the states which screw money out of idiots vulnerable viewers.

However on the practical side I don't think there can be THAT many gullible people around willing to give him a decent salary out of the tarot.

I guess he doesn't believe it's screwing the gullible, but actually believes all that stuff??

wannaBe Mon 09-Nov-09 17:09:24

Well why not?

If people are gullable enough to ring those phonelines, then why shouldn't there be someone waiting to cash in?

If he doesn't have a job atm so there is no income coming in, then tbh I would go for it.

BalloonSlayer Mon 09-Nov-09 17:09:29

"stuck-up prig"? hmm

Is his name Dick or Julian, by any chance?

I am a complete cat's-bum-facer when it comes to any kind of fortune telling but I was once told by someone who read tarot cards that you find out what the cards in question mean to the client and help them to work things out. She said it was more counselling than clairvoyance.

I would be more worried about you thinking that this makes him not a decent person. I mean, he obviously believes in tarot and thinks it helps him. Why would he be being a charlatan just because you don't believe in it?

ilove Mon 09-Nov-09 17:11:01

lol

I work for the biggest company in Europe selling psychic readings. In the UK, £ sterling alone, JUST the UK we take around £10k a day. Some of my readers earn £5-7k a month. That isn't including US$, AUS$ or Euro. We advertise and take calls from all over the world, and operate 24/7/365.

It is a lucrative business.

*Disclaimer - I don't do the readings nor do I cold-call*

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 09-Nov-09 17:11:07

YANBU
too much of that sort of thing already

wannaBe Mon 09-Nov-09 17:13:15

£5-7000 a day? shock shock shock where can I start? grin

itsbeingsocheerful Mon 09-Nov-09 17:13:27

Oh yes, Mumblechum, he believes, which I still find quite odd, cos he's in other ways quite rational

I know there are worse scams going on, but not sure that makes it ok for him to join in and at the lower ends.

I did ask him what the cards said. Apparently they were inconclusive grin.

BadgersPaws Mon 09-Nov-09 17:17:10

He appears to believe in the cards so it's not as if he's doing it cynically to exploit people or views it as a scam.

wannaBe Mon 09-Nov-09 17:17:28

why is it a scam though?

I don't believe in it personally but lots of people do.

And as long as he's not cold calling people then they're making a conscious choice to ring his phoneline and get a reading. I don't see what's wrong with that. If he doesn't gain from it, someone else will.

And the lower end? hmm now see if he was going into prostitution I might have issue with that, but I don't personally see what's wrong with this. There are people out there with money to pay for these readings, all he's doing is providing a service.

displayuntilbestbefore Mon 09-Nov-09 17:19:17

but it's a service that is taking advantage of vulnerable people by making them think there really is something in the cards and I'd be like OP in not wanting to be part of that when there's money involved.

itsbeingsocheerful Mon 09-Nov-09 17:24:46

Balloonslayer, I know he's decent, but I suppose it concerns me too much what others will think, who could mistake him for a charlatan. Although apparently he's quite good.

And no, he's not a Julian or a Dick, just tends to sound that way when he gets through-gritted-teeth angry. Opposite of that recent 'golly gosh' thread grin

He didn't come up with figures like that ilove shock Maybe I could come to terms with it after all grin. How do your readers find you?

BalloonSlayer Mon 09-Nov-09 17:25:31

Surely no-one is so vulnerable that they are unaware that some people think the cards cannot really predict the future?

JeremyVile Mon 09-Nov-09 17:26:43

I agree - I dont think it is the career choice of a decent person.

SolidGoldBangers Mon 09-Nov-09 17:27:24

Well, on the one hand, obviously Tarot is bollocks so in that way he is conning people - but on the other hand, these woo-lines often provide at least a listening ear for the dumb and desperate, and as long as the people doing the actual readings are checked for sensibleness (ie they are not going to tell callers to saw their own feet off or apply to be on Question Time or anything) there's not much harm in it. The most ethical way for your H to do it would of course, to be to charge the cheapest rates for the phone lines.

Ivykaty44 Mon 09-Nov-09 17:30:20

would you be ok with him writting a horoscope chart for the newspaper or on tv?

Most people know that these are a crutch for when things are perhaps going worng a little ...

Why not tbh for some it is a form of counselling, I have friends who have tryed both and friends whom both have worked or them

BalloonSlayer Mon 09-Nov-09 17:31:32

I hope he never calls you a Fathead, itsbeingsocheerful. grin

TrillianAstra Mon 09-Nov-09 17:35:16

If he believes it's real then it's not un-decent, just very gullible and naive.

Is he planning on setting up on his own, or joining ilove's company?

ilove Mon 09-Nov-09 18:43:15

OUr company I don't believe I can post on here, it would be seen as advertising I think, although I only work for them I don't have any vested interest in them!

TrillianAstra Mon 09-Nov-09 19:21:51

OP - if your DH is serious about it then you should def CAT ilove, that way at least he won't be both gullible and broke. grin

It is ridiculous of course.

SolidGoldBangers Mon 09-Nov-09 19:22:43

Ilove, so if you don't peddle the woo directly, what do you actually do at the company? Obviously you don't have to tell me if you don't want to, but my interest is not specifically in your lot but in the range of jobs there are within such a company IYSWIM.

busybutterfly Mon 09-Nov-09 20:11:20

I used to work for a national newspaper and believe me, these tarot ads rake in a fortune. The idea is (of course) to keep you on the phone as long as possible, this is done by lots of drawn out...pauses...keep you hanging...

That'll be £10.80 please grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now