Advanced search

to fear for my girls' futures?

(11 Posts)
LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 09-Nov-09 13:00:01

Message withdrawn

LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 09-Nov-09 13:03:18

Message withdrawn

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 09-Nov-09 13:08:13

I don't think UABU, but do you have grounds for being concerned apart from the diagnoses you have?

LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 09-Nov-09 13:10:26

Message withdrawn

PeachyInCarnivalFeathers Mon 09-Nov-09 13:14:15

It's complicated isn't it?

There are ways to helppeoplewith LD keep their famillies-when I was at a related charity a group of volunteers took on a family with 2 children they were going tolose, giving them 2 hours a day plus extra focus time on weaning, food etc,and help to access toddlergroups and the like.

The family thrived.

There will always be a few peopleunable to care for their kids becuae of LD but there are solutions for most- even down to the offer of palces in hostels where famillies are assusted by live in carers. Sometimes it is easier toremove though i think, but proactive approaches are possible.

LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 09-Nov-09 13:18:39

Message withdrawn

shockers Mon 09-Nov-09 13:25:39

Sorry, what is HFA?

LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 09-Nov-09 13:27:27

Message withdrawn

shockers Mon 09-Nov-09 13:36:21

You are worried about them with their own children when they're grown?
I know of a family where Dad has autism ( I assume he is high functioning because I only noticed once I'd been told IYSWIM) 2 sons are on spectrum also... one has very little speech and stims constantly. As far as I am aware SS are only involved in offering respite and support. They are not in Birmingham though.

PeachyInCarnivalFeathers Mon 09-Nov-09 13:40:51

Leonie, reality is that a sizeable % of kids with asd have parents with asd regardless of whether they have a dx or not.

This willrise in terms of actual dx as its our generation that didnt have that option as kids, the next will.

SSd aren't going to have time chasing all those famillies tbh.

As a SW said to mealst wek 'I pity the poor councils having to deal with all these kids and what they cost'

(PMSL,laugh?I could have almost wept)

There does have top be some fallback for the very severely impairedpeople being that severe LD in no way prevents pregnancy or sex but budgets matters to ssd. A lot.

LeonieBurningHeapy Mon 09-Nov-09 14:03:31

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now