Talk

Advanced search

not to buy my 3-yr-old high heels?

(39 Posts)
MaMight Sun 08-Nov-09 14:00:17

Dd's sole mission in life is to own a pair of high heels. She is three and a half.

Obviously I have said no.

She is being more persistant about this than anything ever before in her little life.

I am still saying no.

Her best friend at nursery is allowed to wear high heels most days.

Still no.

Dd wondered if she could have some of those dressing up ones, just for playing pretend.

I said no because I think life will then be a constant battle not to let her wear them daily and she will forever try and wear them out of the house.

I have explained why she can't have some (because the bones in her feet are soft and high heels will hurt them and I'm her mummy and it is my job to care about the precious bones in her feet, so no. And no, I don't know anything about Lucy at nursery's soft bones or what her mummy thinks, my only concern is with your feet dd hmm)

Some people have said a pair of dressing up heels wouldn't hurt.

She wants them more than anything else in the world.

I still think no!

AIBU?

IdrisTheDragon Sun 08-Nov-09 14:01:40

Personally I think a pair of dressing up shoes would be all right. And that a three year old shouldn't be wearing ordinary shoes with heels.

It is however, your DD and so what you say is what is right for you smile

shockers Sun 08-Nov-09 14:04:40

Maybe you could get the dressing up ones ( known as 'clacky shoes in my house!) on the understanding that if any fuss is made about wearing them out of the house, they will vanish without trace.

nattiecake Sun 08-Nov-09 14:04:51

could she wear a pair of mummys old heels for pretend? that she obviously couldnt wear out though, as they'd be too big for her...??

IdrisTheDragon Sun 08-Nov-09 14:06:36

Dressing up ones are "clippy cloppy" ones here smile

GunpowderTreasonAndDragons Sun 08-Nov-09 14:06:44

Get her some dressing up shoes.

GunpowderTreasonAndDragons Sun 08-Nov-09 14:07:53

Ours were clippetty cloppetty shoes

dilemma456 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:07:57

Message withdrawn

MaggieMonday Sun 08-Nov-09 14:08:38

yes, clippy cloppy slippers that come with a princess outfit.

But as for 'real' shoes, obviously not. However, I've heard of their existence, but never seen a pair for sale!

shockers Sun 08-Nov-09 14:08:46

Or all the right ones!

MrsChemist Sun 08-Nov-09 14:08:46

Which would be more irritating? Having her bug you constantly about getting the dress up shoes, or bugging you constantly about wearing the dress up shoes.

Ivykaty44 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:11:21

please please - keep a chripodist in a job and get your dd a pair of silly shoes....

By the way it will set you back around £5 per visit for her feet - these shoes are very productive for the chiropodist bank account smile

TrillianAstra Sun 08-Nov-09 14:13:13

Please explain (or preferably post a picture of) the "high heels" that 3 year old Lucy wears every day?

purepurple Sun 08-Nov-09 14:14:13

Children just copy what they see. 'Clip clop' shoes are very desirable. Even more so when mummy keeps saying no. Just buy her a pair of dress up ones and the novelty will wear off.

Mutt Sun 08-Nov-09 14:14:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaftApeth Sun 08-Nov-09 14:17:29

I think if you do relent and get her some dressing up ''clicky shoes'', she will actually lose interest in them more quickly. Especially when she realises that they are quit difficult to walk in.

Dd(4) desperately wanted flip flops in the summer. I eventually bought her some and banned her from wearing them outside the front door in case he tripped over them. She soon lost interest.

You could always get them for her from Father Christmas then it won't seem as though you condone them wink

GunpowderTreasonAndDragons Sun 08-Nov-09 14:19:02

Suri Cruise wears heels. She's 3.

<<shakes head in disgust>>

piscesmoon Sun 08-Nov-09 14:21:19

Stick to what you believe-it will be the first of many such battles!

BibiBOO Sun 08-Nov-09 14:26:49

DD1 had the same desire when she was about 3 and a half (5 now) for a pair of "heel-up" shoes as she called them. I stuck to my guns, explained they were bad for her feet and just rode it out. She still asks occasionally but it's not a daily issue now.
If you really don't want her to, then don't. Your dd, your decision.

alexpolismum Sun 08-Nov-09 14:39:58

Don't do it!

Ivykaty might have a good reason to wish to support chiropodists, but believe me it's no joke growing up with problems in your feet.

I spent years with painful feet and could never find any shoes that fitted because of my bunions and it was truly horrible. Don't do this to your dd.

I had to wait until I was in my 20s and have my feet operated on (chiropodists advised that I would have to wait for the bones to finish growing), and now I have the scars to consider when buying shoes. Do you really want your dd to spend her life with painful feet? Stick to your guns and leave those shoes in the shop.

prettyfly1 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:53:42

no. yanbu. little princesses should have princess feet - not corns, callouses and broken ankles when they slip off their clippy heels - there is plenty of time in her future for dressing up and play - stick to your guns.

Ivykaty44 Sun 08-Nov-09 14:58:55

Seriously

If you want feet problems the top tips are:

Get your dc to wear shoes that are to small

Get your dc to wear shoes with high heels - not only will this damage their feet/toes it will creat knee and back problems aswell

Get your dbabies to waer babygrows that are to small and dont cut the feet toes out

Your dc have very pliable bones in their feet and they can easily be moulded inot awful positions and made to stay there, traction in reverse its called.....

It will stay with them for life, cost a fortune to try to correct and make chiropracters and chiropodist thousands.

dittany Sun 08-Nov-09 15:04:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

alexpolismum Sun 08-Nov-09 15:15:51

I second Ivykaty's post. As I have already stated, I had those problems. It really is no joke. I had an operation to correct the shape of my feet, but I still have back problems.

When I was growing up I used to resent my mother for having allowed my feet to get into that state, it wasn't until I was mature enough to understand that she truly had been ignorant of the dangers that I was able to stop blaming her.

Your dd might be happy in the short term with high heels, but it's not worth the long term resentment, pain and anger.

prettyfly1 Sun 08-Nov-09 15:17:01

oh and btw - you could give in one this - and set yourself up for fifteen years of arguments over high heels that you dont win.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now