Talk

Advanced search

I know i am but i need a rant re Neighbours.

(17 Posts)
Marne Sat 07-Nov-09 17:41:24

We live on a small culdi-sack (sp), most people have lived here 5 years + and we all get along, parking is a bit of a problem on our road, each house has either a parking space or a garage plus space on road parking, on road parking is a bit tight but if people park correctly then you can fit one car outside each house.

So a few months ago our next door neighbour moved out. This week a new person moved in. The first day he was here he woke us at 6.45am drilling the walls and banging in nails, the next day he came over and introduced his self and said sorry for the noise, i explained to him that 6.45am is too early to be banging around and i told him he had woken the children up.

Yesterday i had to pop out to get dd1 from school and i got back and he was parked half way in my space (i say my space but its the public highway so not any ones space), i had to park at the bottom of the road and struggle up the road with both dd's and school bags etc..

I know i cant really complain as its not really 'my space' ,anyone can park there but its a bit of a struggle when i have 2 Autistic children, dd2 runs off whenever she gets the chance and when i have a car full of shopping its a night-mare having to walk up and down the road whilst leaving dd2 on her own in the house.

Today as soon as i pulled away from the house he puts his van right outside my house so when i get home again i have to park somewhere else and struggle to cling on to dd2 as she tries to run off.

IO know there's nothing i can really do but if he moved up a few more inches i could probably squeeze my car in. I don't really want to moan at him as i have already had a word with him about being woken up, i don't think dh would go and talk to him either, i don't want to get off on the wrong foot its just i have parked my car in the same space for 5 years and not had a problem.

We have one space which is ours at the bottom of the road that dh uses for his car so when dh is home i have no where to park.

AIBU in expecting him not to jump in my space the second i leave?

He has just popped out, would it be childish of me to go and move my car back into his space? I am staying in tomorrow so if i move my car back he wont be able to get his in tomorrow grin.

3littlefrogs Sat 07-Nov-09 17:44:05

Would you be entitled to a disabled bay outside your house? Shouldn't be necessary I know, but just a thought.

LaurieScaryCake Sat 07-Nov-09 17:46:21

You use the driveway and dh can park anywhere in the road as its you doing all the struggling?

and good idea about the disabled bay.

Firawla Sat 07-Nov-09 17:47:07

yes go and move the car back, it might just give him the hint without you having to say anything?

Marne Sat 07-Nov-09 17:52:16

I have just moved the car back.

I am in the process of getting dd a blue badge so i would have thought a disabled bay could be possible. We are hoping to move house after x-mas so it might not be worth the fuss.

I could try talking to him but i don't think he's the type to understand (single middle age biker). Men don't always think about these things grin.

wingandprayer Sat 07-Nov-09 17:52:56

I have parking issues outside my house even though is public road so I appreciate how emotive these things can be.

Bottom line though is that he has as much right as you do to park there, half way across where you usually park or anywhere else that doesn't break the law. There is therefore no point in getting stressed about this or starting a row no one will win.

I bet he has no idea what a struggle things are for you. Tell him you don't want it to become a big deal but explain how it makes things tricky for you and ask very nicely if he could park making allowances for you whenever possible. As a compromise say if he ever needs the extra space for a delivery or something he can ask the same from you. Would take a fairly heartless bastard to ignore a nicely put request with explanation and no need for you to stress about approaching him - it's just a friendly chat after all

Marne Sat 07-Nov-09 17:53:37

Our parking space (which dh parks in) is quite far down the road so i would have the same problem if i used dh's space sad.

MillyR Sat 07-Nov-09 17:56:14

I would just go and talk to him about it; he might understand and be helpful.

biggirlsdontcry Sat 07-Nov-09 18:08:34

ohh i know exactly how annoying this can be angry i have exactly the same problem with our neighbour , the second i move my car he pulls his car up in half of my spot so i cant park outside my own home & because its a public road we cant do anything about it , we also live in a cul-de sac . my dh asked this guy 4 times now to stick to his own side but now he just smirks at us while he pulls his cars up angry . the disabled bay is a good idea ... good luck x

pippa251 Sat 07-Nov-09 18:20:58

If he's a single guy with no kids he probably has no idea about what a hassle this is being for you. This is displayed by his early morning DIY. I have just had my first DC and it really did open my eyes and make me more considerate (no more hoovering before 8.30am etc). He has just moved in and I'm sure he wants to fit in and get on with his neighbours well.

It may be worth going over (with a small house warming gift anything from a box of t-bags) and having a chat- explaining about the kids and how much of a hassle a short walk is from the car. This was a real eye opener for me.

If you get into the passive aggressive moving car tactics- you will just get more p**ed off if he does the same and he will either get pissed off or just fail to notice. Trust me my friend has been having the same silent war with her neighbours for 10 years.

Good luck

duchesse Sat 07-Nov-09 18:29:27

Gosh, I thought this was going to be a rant about an Australian soap. Disappointed now...

mazzystartled Sat 07-Nov-09 18:30:12

Oh, goodness just go and ask him.

He probably has no idea that it causes you a problem, and he'd probably hate to inconvenience you, hairy biker or not. Especially if it makes no difference to him.

Just be friendly and relaxed about it. not whiny in any way and don't mention anything about having parked that way for 5 years)

SerendipitousHarlot Sat 07-Nov-09 18:33:52

What mazzystartled said.

AliGrylls Sat 07-Nov-09 18:45:27

Just have a word with him - do you really want to make an enemy so soon after him moving in.

2shoes Sat 07-Nov-09 18:47:56

spaeak to him
if you are nice and just ask for a compromise, he will most likely oblidge.
I remember a neighbour always blocked me in, was a nightmare as he parked soooo close, I told him that I sometimes forgot to put the hand brake on he stopped.

Fabster Sat 07-Nov-09 18:48:24

I also thought it was about Neighbours, everybody needs good neeeeeeeeeighbours.

2shoes Sat 07-Nov-09 18:50:30

no the op is not ranting about the terrible sunny

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now