Talk

Advanced search

To hate it when inconsiderate motorists park so much on the pavement that you cannot get your buggy past thus blocking a public right of way

(51 Posts)
pigletmania Fri 06-Nov-09 15:21:20

I was walking on the pavement today down a quietish road, all the houses had driveways with no cars parked on them because they were all parked on the pavement so far up that they were practically blocking public right of way except for a very narrow gap that even Victoria Beckham would have difficulty squeezing past angry. I just walked through the little gap there was not caring one jot if i scratched the car parked there, no way was i going to go on the road putting my lo in danger and incoveniencing myself by crossing over when they should not be parked like that in the first place angry

sarah293 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:22:37

Message withdrawn

OldLadyKnowsNothing Fri 06-Nov-09 15:24:55

YANBU. I was once so infuriated by crap parking (outside a nursery, FFS!) I marched up the middle of the road with my double buggy. Yes, a driver had to slow down for me - I wasn't going to creep along at the side and risk being hit - but I couldn't believe it when the silly mare actually beeped at me. Er, yes, dear, I know you're there... it was only for 50 yards or so, I must have held her up for all of, ooh, twenty seconds tops.

Sweetney Fri 06-Nov-09 15:32:09

YANBU I am also a wheelchair user and it does my nut, I get so angry about it, you shouldnt have to put yourself in danger to get past a car when the driver could of walked the extra 3 feet. Its a shame the councils don't have a poor parking line and a zero tolerance policy. I would pay money to see them tow away the worst offenders!

pigletmania Fri 06-Nov-09 15:36:02

Oh good so IAMNBU then. It is illegal to block a public right of way like a pavement or footpath. I was walking with another mum back from mums and tots when i saw these pratts. The lady i was with said she did the same thing and scratched a car, the woman came out and complained and the mum i was with said that she was breaking the law blocking a public right of way and that she cannot expect her to walk in the road with a child just becasue her precious car would get scratched. Some people are so inconsiderate, i was thinking of how a wheelchair could get by, it couldent adn the person would have to inconvenience themselves by knocking on the door and asking the cars to move. one by one angry

sarah293 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:38:52

Message withdrawn

pigletmania Fri 06-Nov-09 15:42:27

IMO the cars should not be there in the first place, its their fault if they park like that and people accidently scratch their car by going past.

pigletmania Fri 06-Nov-09 15:43:02

angryangryangry

pigletmania Fri 06-Nov-09 15:43:46

i should go and have some chocolate to calm down lol

alicet Fri 06-Nov-09 15:46:05

I nearly posted a very similar thread this am.

YANBU

MillyMollyMoo Fri 06-Nov-09 15:46:35

They are tossers, I got blocked inside my own house once because the driver parked so close to my front door step.
The police said they couldn't spare anyone right now but if I did scratch the car to buggery getting the buggy out they would completely understand.

sweetnitanitro Fri 06-Nov-09 15:47:15

YANBU. I don't mind it in my street so much because if people didn't block the pavement then they would be blocking the road and I'd be buggered if my house caught fire, there'd be no room for a fire engine. I live in a very quiet cul-de-sac though so it's not unsafe to walk in the road. I hate it on main roads though, there's no need.

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Fri 06-Nov-09 15:49:20

Oooh yes, this really gets my goat. I often push a wheelchair as well and that is even more unwieldy than a pushchair. Car parkers drive me mad like that!

doubleexpresso Fri 06-Nov-09 15:51:35

This makes my blood boil. Last week the road up to the school (double yellow) was full of cars parked half on pavement, half on road. We had to squeeze past and I may have (completely unintentionally) knocked someone's wing mirror off... the woman was in the car blush so I gave a 'what can I do ?' kind of shrug and she stayed in her car (phew)! Hopefully she will park legally next time.

Ninks Fri 06-Nov-09 15:51:39

YANBU, it is so selfish. Nice one OLKN grin

Then again the cars in the disabled spaces at Sainsbury's are the worst for pulling up right over the path to the store. I can never get the trolley past and have to go behind them in the road with DS instead.

It's no biggie to me but wouldn't other wheelchair users prefer to use the path rather than be hit by a reversing car? It's a bloody dangerous height to be going along at.

Is there a reason why longer as well as wider spaces would be needed?

rachels103 Fri 06-Nov-09 15:56:25

On my road there are no driveways so you have to park up on the pavement a bit so that the road isn't blocked BUT I can manage to park so that there is still space for buggies to get through so it really winds me up when others don't. YANBU.

I am often tempted to stick snotty notes on windscreens as I walk along dodging the cars with a 3 year old and a pram.

Stayingsunnygirl Fri 06-Nov-09 16:04:21

My dad used to be friends with the local police sergeant. In the village they lived in, there was a persistant problem with lorries parking on the pavement like this, so that women with prams had to go round them on the road.

One day the sergeant was on the desk in the police station, when a very irate lorry driver came in to complain that a mum with a pram had told him off very strongly. He pointed at a woman passing the police station and said, "There's the nasty old trout now." "Oh", said the sergeant, "you mean my wife?!" I think the lorry driver abandoned his complaint and left. smile

<<Stayingsunny worries that she's told this story really badly and no-one will see why she thinks it is funny>>

Sweetney Fri 06-Nov-09 16:06:45

You can get bumper stickers and magnets and stuff that say this person abused a disabled/praent and child bay today. I really get angry at those that seem to need not just one but 2 spaces to park their childless able body cars in.
I am so glad ASDA are fining people for abuse of the parking system.
Its really so bad, you know if anyone got hurt or hit by a car trying to get round one of these idiots then it would be a case of "well you shouldnt of been in the road" It just makes me so cross!

theslightlypeckishcaterpillar Fri 06-Nov-09 16:07:52

My dh is a police officer and he gets cars parked like that towed away if he thinks there is not enough space for a twin buggy to get paste

theslightlypeckishcaterpillar Fri 06-Nov-09 16:08:26

Um, that was past not paste. Why would a buggy want paste?

suitejudyblue Fri 06-Nov-09 16:15:39

I could have posted this myself today. This morning I had to cross the road with a pushchair on a blind bend to get past a white van that was not only blocking the pavement but had its doors wide open so that they touched the wall of the house and blocked the view across the road even more.
When I had crossed over and back again I said to the driver, quite politely, that his van was parked in a really dangerous way. He was instantly really aggressive and said I should have told him the doors were blocking the way and I needn't have crossed over.
In my best Hyacinth voice I told him that in order to speak to him I had to cross the road and not to be so rude.
I would have called the police but I'm pretty sure he could have found out where I live and he didn't seem the sort to get on the wrong side of.
Next time I will bite my tongue and call them once I get home.
Rant over, I feel better now.

LadyOfTheFlowers Fri 06-Nov-09 16:17:23

We have a beamer parked right outside the school foot gate on 2/3 on the pavement nearly every morning. The side of it is very badly scratched from passing pushchairs/coat zips etc being dragged along it - owner doesn't care.

There is also always a car parked on a blind bend in our road covering the dropped kerb too, forcing you into the road with children and pushchair, which got badly keyed recently by someone.
It was not parked there for about a week afterwards but is being parked there again now. The stupid tart who drives it has kids. hmm angry

InterruptingKid Fri 06-Nov-09 16:19:36

sorry if someone has already said htis but in Germany years ago they had a big protest about this that involved peopel walking over cars parked this way,

InterruptingKid Fri 06-Nov-09 16:22:09

here oyu are

ladylush Fri 06-Nov-09 16:25:43

It's a pet hate of mine. Our road is opposite ds's school. At the end of the road a van parks on the pavement because his drive is too short. On the other side of the road (directly opposite) a man (dad) parks his 4x4 half on the pavement/half on zig zags and leaves the engine running while he chats to other parents dropping off their kids angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now