Talk

Advanced search

To expect my neighbour to take her dogs in on Nov 5th

(15 Posts)
alysonpeaches Thu 05-Nov-09 21:15:56

I know its none of my business, but Im a dog lover and my neighbour leaves her dogs out all the time on the back garden in small pens with a small kennel in each. They are actually yelping and crying.

They are out all the time and every evening if I go into the garden they start crying or whining. It makes me sad.

junglist1 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:17:30

Do they get walks at least? And yes it's your buisness because animals can't speak for themselves. They sound terrified!

BikiniBottom Thu 05-Nov-09 21:17:44

I would consider reporting it or knocking on her door if you feel assertive enough but I believe it to be cruel. And tomorrow night there will be even more fireworks

saadia Thu 05-Nov-09 21:19:42

yanbu, I don't even like dogs - or any animals - but I can't bear to think of them suffering so needlessly.

junglist1 Thu 05-Nov-09 21:19:53

Yeah report the stupid cow.

Callisto Thu 05-Nov-09 21:21:04

I think it is your business too. What sort of dogs are they? Are they ever let out? How are they cared for in general? If you're really concerned call your local dog charity and talk to them about what you can do.

Vallhala Thu 05-Nov-09 21:30:44

It is your business if you are any kind of caring human being BUT if the dogs have adequate shelter, access to water at all times and are fed regularly there will be sweet FA that welfare be done about it, even in the light of the new Animal Welfare Act.

Even those without shelter, left to lay in the snow, are deemed to be adequately cared for. See Bruno's story here - scroll down to see what the RSPCA consider to be acceptable conditions:

http://www.germanshepherdrescue.co.uk/rspca-failing-in-their-duties2.html

You'll have more chance talking to the neighbour yourself/finding out more about the dogs and why they are kept like that/persuading her to let them go to a better home via no-kill rescue/even, if you're as daft as me, offering to bring them into your home.

Vallhala Thu 05-Nov-09 21:32:13

PS - sorry, my first sentence sounded so rude. I wasn't indicating that you're not a decent, caring human being. Clearly you are!

Vallhala Thu 05-Nov-09 21:33:29

And sorry for the typo - "there is sweet FA that can be done about it" is what I meant of course!

alysonpeaches Thu 05-Nov-09 22:07:07

I have only just moved here so dont want to get into a row with my neighbour. The dogs are generally well cared for with food and water and do have a small kennel each which could be construed as a shelter. She cleans up after them too. They are small pedigree dogs and I think one of them has had a litter. I dont think there is any point in involving the RSPCA as some people DO keep their dogs outside. I have absolutely no idea if they are out ALL night, but I have just realised that they are out at night as I have a pup and am taking him out every hour up until bedtime. I have never seen her walk them.

I have decided to strike up a friendly conversation as we both have dogs, and actually ask her about them being out on bonfire night. I am not a confrontational person, but I hate to think of the animals being miserable. I had a dog many years ago who was absolutely terrified on bonfire night and the surrounding days and just tried to hide behind us on the sofa shivering because of the bangs.

teabreakgirl Thu 05-Nov-09 22:09:11

Phone the rspca as soon as poss so that they can come out and see for themselves. Regardless of whether they are well cared for generally they should be indoors when there are fireworks going off. Thats what most animal charities advise anyway. I think it is your business.

Plonker Thu 05-Nov-09 22:10:26

sad poor dogs

YANBU

teabreakgirl Thu 05-Nov-09 22:11:14

Good idea about striking up a conversation with her, that could be a good way to solve it.

BikiniBottom Thu 05-Nov-09 22:22:44

If there is a litter of puppies, even more reason to call RSPCA. At the very least they could maybe offer some advice. I am not confrontational either so conversation is a good idea but would still call RSPCA.

alysonpeaches Thu 05-Nov-09 22:36:41

Puppies arent outside thankfully. One of the dogs is having a good old yap now the fireworks have finished, which sounds more normal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now