Talk

Advanced search

to let my DP do my hair?

(16 Posts)
sparkle09 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:33:46

after 2 months of being let down by various hairdresser friends and family to colour my hair should i just let my DP do it because he offered today when i was in tears from being let down again.

my hair is in an awful state and really needs colouring.

bonfirewithaheartofgold Thu 05-Nov-09 16:34:56

is there any reason why you can't do it yourself?

sparkle09 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:36:38

its colour and highlights and ive never done it on my own before.

the bleach has to be put on then the dark around it so even if i done it on my own i would need help.

Seededbiatch Thu 05-Nov-09 16:36:39

YANBU if he is a hairdresser otherwise I think it is very unwise to put something so potentially controversial in the hands of your unskilled DP.

sparkle09 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:38:49

yeah, hes not a hairdresser, this could be very scary.

ginnny Thu 05-Nov-09 16:40:55

OMG are you crazy???
Don't let him do it.
What if it goes wrong? Home highlight kits are not as easy as they look on telly!
My Mum did her highlights herself with a home kit, she dropped the bleach comb thingy and had a big blonde blob on her head. She had to rush to the hairdressers the next day for an emergency appointment.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 05-Nov-09 16:41:12

umm I have to say I wouldn't trust DP to do anything with my hair other than a nice shampoo and head massage when I'm in the bath. And the bleach then the dark thing sounds complex. I don't think YABU I just think you're being brave.

bonfirewithaheartofgold Thu 05-Nov-09 16:42:37

i wouldn't, unless you can afford to have it put right or live with the consequences.

kitkatcadaverqueen Thu 05-Nov-09 16:48:04

My dp did mine once, dyed it one colour and then streaked it, was fab. I got loads of compliments Depends on how much you trust him...

TrillianAstra Thu 05-Nov-09 16:48:15

I've done a home kit on a friend and it worked very nicely acksherly.

sparkle09 Thu 05-Nov-09 16:51:25

this is how desperate i am!

i think i will let him, but i have told him to prepare for me to be helpful a pain. grin

wish me luck!

bluebump Thu 05-Nov-09 16:53:14

My DP does my highlights for me sometimes, no problems at all apart from the nagging to actually get him to do them in the first place!

Triggles Thu 05-Nov-09 22:26:37

dh does mine regularly and does a great job. can't hurt to let him try!

Poiparcel Thu 05-Nov-09 22:45:26

DH used to cut mine regularly, concientious and skilled until the last time, when halfway through he went 'oops'.
Took many months before it grew back to the length I was looking for. sad

humanfraggle Fri 06-Nov-09 14:31:12

my DH always colours my hair... and he does a fab job

My only gripe is how many colour splashes end up around the bathroom when he's done hmm

Other than that - why not let him try doing just an all over colour to start with, can't go much wrong with that - then see if he can work his way up to highlights?

sparkle09 Sat 07-Nov-09 22:17:09

sorry for the delay,

my hair is still on my head and it doesnt look too bad.

i didnt nag either! it was a very calm and nice experience. hehe

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now