Talk

Advanced search

to not want to take ds's to a bonfire night thingy tonight 'cos it's flinging it down and will be cold, muddy and horrible...?

(18 Posts)
DottyDot Thu 05-Nov-09 14:06:49

sigh. Tell me I'm a wuss... Was going to tell them it had been cancelled (blush) but dp's making me feel guilty 'cos she says she'd take them (handy she's at choir tonight...hmm).

Is anyone else thinking of not bothering to venture out tonight?

CatIsSleepy Thu 05-Nov-09 14:07:55

dd1 has already told us she doesn't like fireworks

thank gawd

Fabster Thu 05-Nov-09 14:08:33

We haven't bought any fireworks as the kids have mostly been sods this week.

I said to DH I felt guilty but he said that it is their own fault.

They will just say what have we done when we tell them and then complain that was ages ago.
(1-4 days ago)

DottyDot Thu 05-Nov-09 14:12:07

Well I'm checking the website every 5 minutes to see if it's going to be cancelled - fingers crossed..!

They're really looking forward to going and I am a great big wuss who hates tramping round cold, dark, wet, muddy fields with two over tired and excited boys on my own...

Ah well - do you think if I bribe offer them 10 packets of Match Attax and some GoGos they'll be happy?! grin

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 05-Nov-09 14:12:33

Message withdrawn

Iklboo Thu 05-Nov-09 14:13:53

I don't think we'll be taking DS anywhere either. DH won't drive to the park cos it's a mare to park and DS will definitely not walk the distance to the park then stand in the cold and wet without whinging.
Last year the organisers put all the fireworks behind the trees so we couldn't even see anything and they don't start this year until around when DS normally goes to bed anyway

mazzystartled Thu 05-Nov-09 14:17:49

there's no way we're going out. but we have a view over the mersey estuary from our upstairs windows so will wa=tch from there. there will probably be some ne'r-do-wells chucking them about (as is their wont) in the park over the road too so we can benefit from that dubious pleasure too.

FimbleHobbs Thu 05-Nov-09 14:19:05

How about a compromise -is there nothing on at the weekend instead when you are both around?

Morloth Thu 05-Nov-09 14:19:12

Ours don't get cancelled, it was pouring last year and there were all were in the mud and the cold.

This is our last year and we have been every year since moving to the UK, but. I. don't. want. to!

Will suck it up and go.

CitizenPrecious Thu 05-Nov-09 14:24:10

there's one at the park down the road tonight, but because it's too much for me to wedge into a school night, and displays in Southwark tend to have an undercurrent of nortiness IME, I am lying to telling the dcs there is nothing on tonight...

...we will be going to Blackheath instead at the weekend as tis a bit more genteel wink

love love love Bonfire Night (well, BN weekend, anyway smile)

DottyDot Thu 05-Nov-09 14:28:20

There doesn't seem to be much on tomorrow and bizarrely, dp and I are out on a rare social event-type thing..!

Ho hum. Still raining but I think I'll end up going - grumbling, being stroppy and generally in a Bad Mood...

CitizenPrecious Thu 05-Nov-09 14:31:16

Oh, Dotty, you know you'll enjoy it when you get there! wink

...especially the bit where you try to get home afterwards. <shudder>

Elk Thu 05-Nov-09 14:42:16

YANBU, I am hoping dh will take the dd's and leave me at home with a hot water bottle. It is not raining here, in fact it is lovely and sunny but my back hurts and standing up for 2 hours and having to carry either a 6 year old who has decided yet again that fireworks are too noisy or 4 year old who claims she 'can't see' will nearly kill me. Also, I am terrified of sparklers.

DottyDot Thu 05-Nov-09 14:43:32

Ah yes - did I not mention we have to get a bus there and back.

And I started my period today - the stomach ache's kicking in and no loos at mudfest tonight...

GRUMP grin

CitizenPrecious Thu 05-Nov-09 14:48:51

...the bus there is always exciting, full of happy children and their folks, cheeks aglow with excitement and anticipation (and Haribos)

...for some reason the kiddies have always vanished by the time you get the bus back, and it is full of lairy teens with god knows what incendiary devices in their many, many pockets

DottyDot Thu 05-Nov-09 17:01:29

Woohoo!!! Result - have just bumped into a friend who lives at the top of our road and have bludgeoned persuaded her to let us join her at her's for fireworks in the garden!! grin Her Dad's doing fireworks for her ds's, so we're planning to drink wine coffee in the kitchen while the men do the fireworks. Very safely and at a suitable distance....

Marvellous!

mollyroger Thu 05-Nov-09 17:06:47

thankfully our local display is on sat as it is chucking it down here now too...
but we also have a bonfire party tomorrow and forecast is grim for that

BCNSback Thu 05-Nov-09 17:13:07

it's totally chucking it down here.. so we will be at home.. with a movie and hot chocolate and churros...as a gesture I will serve ice cream with choc sauce and a mini indoor sparkler to decorate

we'll see what's on at the weekend and what the weather is doing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now