Talk

Advanced search

To want to know the purpose of the "tonic" hairdressers apply to your head after having colour.

(6 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:21:31

And what's in it that burns your scalp to buggery! Whenever I ask what it is and why it's neccesary they respond as if i've asked them to sh*t in a cup.

Can someone enlighten me? Is it used to rectify mistakes?

bellissima Wed 04-Nov-09 21:22:53

To inflate the bill.

JackieNo Wed 04-Nov-09 21:22:56

Mine don't put anything on - just shampoo and conditioner. Or do you mean the stain remover stuff they dab round your hairline?

mmmwine Wed 04-Nov-09 21:23:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chegirl Wed 04-Nov-09 22:03:24

Do you mean 'toner'? Do you have your hair lightened? If so its what 'mmmwine' says.

It gets rid of the yellow/acidic tones left after your hair is tinted/bleached.

Im not sure why it hurts though. If you have had your hair lightend that will leave your scalp tender and even a shampoo may sting a bit.

You can buy a big bottle yourself if you dont want the hairdresser to do it. There are some good toning shampoos now so you dont need to use an old fashioned toner at all.

I use them regularly cos I live in London and all the polution is apt to turn my hair a fetching shade of greyish yellow after a few weeks.

AnyFuleKno Wed 04-Nov-09 22:06:12

because otherwise your hair will be yellow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now