Talk

Advanced search

on asking someone politely to please...

(12 Posts)
Servalan Wed 04-Nov-09 17:16:37

... not engage with my DD while she is having a tantrum, to then expect them to please not engage with DD while she is having a tantrum?

3 times I had to ask this woman in the supermarket today as she stood cooing over my DD's theatrical kicking and screaming meltdown.

I know she was well-meaning, but honestly! Gah!!!!

and breathe...

bigchris Wed 04-Nov-09 17:18:51

how old is your dd? mine are usually shocked into good behaviour if a stranger talks to them lol

shockers Wed 04-Nov-09 17:22:52

You are not!! It drives me mad... my dd LOVES an audience!

Servalan Wed 04-Nov-09 17:22:55

She is 3. And no such luck!!

lemonadesparkle Wed 04-Nov-09 17:23:33

Sorry am laughing here but YANBU.

This morning when I was shopping a little girl was having a major meltdown right under the rail that I wanted to check (searching for a specific size in a garment). Aware that her mother was having difficulty persuading her to come out and also had another child with her I asked if it would make the situation more difficult if I looked at the clothes. Her mum actually said she thought it might help in making her come out and it did smile. However, had she said that it could make the situation worse then I would have pottered elsewhere for a few moments. We've all had children meltdown in public at one time and strangers should either not get involved or respect the parents request.

displayuntilbestbefore Wed 04-Nov-09 17:24:13

yanbu
My MIL always tries to smooth tantrums over by offering treat-y distractions when I want my dcs to sort themselves out and stop being ridiculous, not give them a reward for theatrics!

Servalan Wed 04-Nov-09 17:26:49

Exactly lemonadesparkle. You approach would have been fab.

Instead, I had ahing and cooing from this lady who plain ignored me.

Her husband then ambled along and said "oh, you're doing that thing they do on the telly" and stood gawping at DD along with his wife as I repeated my request yet again! hmm

Servalan Wed 04-Nov-09 17:28:06

Oh yes, don't even get me started on treats for tantrums...

allaboutme Wed 04-Nov-09 17:31:20

Oh how annoying!
My DS has mega tantrums, he is 4. I was very impressed last time he had one in the middle of the street and I was ignoring him, as at least 3 people came over and told me well done for ignoring him and ignored him too grin
There was one old man though, he musy have been 80 yo, he just said ever so gently 'come on now son, you dont want to be laying on the floor, come with me now' and held out his hand.
DS just meekly stood up, held his hand and walked over to me with the man, who passed him to me with a grin.
Could do with him on hand all the time grin

PandaEis Wed 04-Nov-09 17:36:49

YANBU!! i hate it when this happens!! my DD is the queen of public tantrums!! she seems to pick just the right moment and then totally freaks out!!hmm
she loves the attention it gets her from others!! i try to ignore it butit really doesnt help when half the british public wants to talk to the screaming monster.

DD usually crys and tells the stranger that 'mummy did...x/y/z' and mummy gets disapproving looks from said public memberhmm bloody meddling old ladies (usually)smile
xx ei xx

hanabooOOOM Wed 04-Nov-09 17:40:20

oooooooh i would have sternly told the lady off and to mind her business

Homebird8 Wed 04-Nov-09 17:44:58

allaboutme, I agree it would be great to have a fairy godfather like your gentleman on occasion but isn't it scary how easily they will "come with me"?! shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now