Talk

Advanced search

In thinking that its way too early to put your Christmas tree Up??

(126 Posts)
IfYouCouldWouldYou Wed 04-Nov-09 16:27:11

Or has anyone got thiers up already? shock

Coming back from school today i happened to notice someone near me has thier tree up, i could see it through the window.

It seems to be getting earlier and earlier each year at this house.

If any of you have started with christmas decorations by now, I would be interested to know what reason you have for doing so [nosy emoticon]

As i myself would be absolutely sick of the thing by christmas day never mind into new year. Beginning of December is early enough for me if i can be bothered, But do aim to have it up by the 25th grin

NowtonTelly Wed 04-Nov-09 16:28:48

The local shops are starting to get theirs out, but haven't seen one in a house yet!

When we were kids we put on up about 10 days before Christmas. Me and DH put them up on the first weekend in December now. Deffo getting earlier in general.

Hulababy Wed 04-Nov-09 16:31:58

Madness to have it up now. As DD tells me when she sees the Christmas stuff in shops: it hasn't even been Bonfire night yet!

Our tree goes up mid December. We will be away the weekend before Christmas this year, so will go up weekend before.

If I put a tree up now it'd be dead before the Christmas season had even started!

lissielovessparklers Wed 04-Nov-09 16:32:04

I wish I could do it now (am a bit fed up and knackered by December, but yes, bit too early even for me!

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 04-Nov-09 16:32:05

Oh gawd, we usually wait till just before Xmas, but then we're not very Xmassy people. blush We've had an outdoor tree the past few years, mostly because we have a very large yard (rural livers) and I can't be arsed with the needles. And we have cats, who might just find baubles attractive!

It's a bit early, though.

lissielovessparklers Wed 04-Nov-09 16:36:58

we put ours up at beginning of dec (around the 5th) and when ds in in bed, dh and I open the mulled wine that we should've been saving for Christmas eve, and wrap the presents!

TrillianAstra Wed 04-Nov-09 16:39:25

December!

crokky Wed 04-Nov-09 16:41:02

I have not got my tree up, but it will be going up sometime in November (fake one obv).

DB and SIL will be away on Honeymoon for the whole of Dec so we are having an early Christmas with them before they go in addition to our christmas at the proper time grin.

Anyway, I have put some paper chains up. Needed something to entertain the DCs (3 and 1) so made Christmas paper chains. It would have been mean not to put them straight up as they had tried to make them with me.

agedknees Wed 04-Nov-09 16:41:09

dh would put up ours now, i would put up ours on Christmas eve and down boxing day, but I am a bah humbug.

YANBU. But dh would disagree.

ohIdoliketobebesidethe Wed 04-Nov-09 16:42:00

One of our neighbours has one too.
I decided they must be about to emigrate or someone is dying and either way they need to have an early christmas this year....only fair explanation.

GeeWhizz Wed 04-Nov-09 16:43:14

None around our way yet, I wait until the first weekend of December.

We have made some decorations over Oct break though to keep the children quiet but they are not up.

Marne Wed 04-Nov-09 16:44:01

We put ours up in the first week of December and take it down a few days after x-mas.

If dh had his way they would go up x-mas eve and down on boxing day.

Horton Wed 04-Nov-09 16:45:23

I never do ours until the weekend before Christmas, whenever that falls. I would be sick to death of it before then otherwise.

Also, have you all got huge houses or tiny Christmas trees? Ours takes up a significant percentage of floor space in our tiny house!

FanofFireworks Wed 04-Nov-09 16:46:02

I put mine up on December 1st...

Perhaps they've reasons why they're celebrating early? Perhaps a family member isn't expected to be here next month?

agedknees Wed 04-Nov-09 16:46:03

Marne - swop dh's???

Bettymum Wed 04-Nov-09 16:46:18

I try and have mine up for my birthday (second week of December), I get all my christmas CDs out and decorate and it makes me all happy and smiley. All the decs are carefully wrapped in tissue paper and put in boxes so that it's exciting to get them all out again each year. Looking forward to it now .
Always take it down before 12th night though.

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 04-Nov-09 16:49:32

I saw one in a flat window about 3 weeks ago, I was sat alone on the bus and actually exclaimed outloud when I saw it, luckily it was quite an empty bus.

bellissima Wed 04-Nov-09 16:50:07

YANBU. My birthday is at the end of November and I have always hated Christmas stuff being put up before December (not that I think the world revolves around me, obviously grin). But seriously, beginning of November ridiculous. They are complete Thelmas!

(see Likely Lads Christmas special. Okay you aren't nearly as old as me, just take my world).

Saritasmum Wed 04-Nov-09 16:50:24

We put it up the weekend before Christmas and it comes down 12th night-ish if the animals don't manage to floor it before then. Fairy lights are for all year round!

bellissima Wed 04-Nov-09 16:50:58

or even word. (so old she's going demented)

TheBlairSnitchProject Wed 04-Nov-09 16:53:53

But it's November!! shock

We try to put ours up 12 days before Christmas (and take it down 12 days after) - once or twice I've gotten very excited and put it up a few days early and once or twice I've put it up later too. Would not consider putting it up before December 1st at the earliest!! I'd feel daft.

Will put it up mid December this year but it's going to be an Xmas eve job in this house from then on as DD is due around the 20th and I've been told that people with Christmas birthdays appreciate it if the tree goes up after their big day.

IfYouCouldWouldYou Wed 04-Nov-09 16:54:01

oh good its not just me then, Fair enough if you have to do early christmas crokky like the idea of two christmas's...Just not the owrk that goes with it!

I dont think the family have any reason to celebrate early though as they have always had the tree up by middle/end of Nov just seems mega early this year.

shock at "3 Weeks ago"

happywomble Wed 04-Nov-09 16:56:26

How ridiculous to have a tree out already. We dig up a real one so won't be doing so till mid December.

I nearly walked out of Costa Coffee the other day when I realised they were playing "So it is merry Christmas, every body having fun"...

teameric Wed 04-Nov-09 16:58:12

I always put my tree up on the first of December

alwayslookingforanswers Wed 04-Nov-09 16:58:18

I'll do ours at the end of the month - I always aim for the first Sunday in advent - which is the 29th November - so decorations will go up then - tree will be a bit later this year though as we're getting a real one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now