Talk

Advanced search

aibu to not want Virgin Wines to help themselves to my money?

(15 Posts)
thesecondcocking Wed 04-Nov-09 14:58:54

Quickly, before the supervisor rings!
Joined the virgin wine club as had a voucher for £40 off a case. When it came to the final screen we entered the discount code and the amount came up as £77 ish which we thought was ok for 2 cases of nice wine (which we were allegedly going to save for Xmas... blush)so I typed my card in and was agreeing for £77 to go out for the wine

anyway,just checking my bank statement it seems they have decided (retrospectively) the wine we ordered was already half price and therefore have SURCHARGED me the the £40 as my wine didn't fulfil the small print.

They say that they're really sorry, they say that they are entitled to take it-I think the voucher code should not have deducted the money and that if i only say 'take £77'then they aren't even legally allowed to then take more- i am FURIOUS
what do you reckon? the lady is ringing me back shortly...
PS they've asked me to show them the screen where the amount i agreed to is on-well it's a live link so i didn't have a copy of it...what do i do? i am RAGING and feel like Richard bloody Branson has mugged me!

Hulababy Wed 04-Nov-09 15:07:17

Not sure but hope you get it sorted.

A year ago we discovered we had well over £100 in a Virgin Wine account, that we hadn't even realised. Apparently after using one of these said vouchers we had inadvertently agreed to them taking a monthly amount from us. Just never knew or realised until quite be acident once when DH got another voucher he fancied using.

So do check your account after this - just in case you have also signed up for this monthly account thing.

cocobongo Wed 04-Nov-09 15:09:40

Don't know the ins and outs legally, but wouldn't think they could do this. do you already have the wine?

Watch out that you are not also signed up to their wine bank- this involves them debiting £20 a month from your bank account and then allowing you to spend it on their wine.

Hulababy Wed 04-Nov-09 15:31:18

cocobongo - yes, that is what we discovered we had signed up for. As it happens it is fine and we have cntinued with it for now, and have enjoyed all the wine we have bought from them.

But it is important to note that we did sign up to this somewhat without knowing!

thesecondcocking Wed 04-Nov-09 15:34:45

i am in wine bank,discovery club and god knows what the hell else...
i can't even see how taking money as a surcharge retrospectively is legal.
i agreed one price-they changed that price.

meltedchocolate Wed 04-Nov-09 15:37:06

just keep chanting that. dont give up. be fir. say you will take it further if yu have to. hope all goes well x

meltedchocolate Wed 04-Nov-09 15:37:46

**be firMMM **if YOU have to

ginnybag Wed 04-Nov-09 15:54:12

Ask them to put in writing what they have done and freeze all payments. I'm not sure on the legal stance for this but I'm pretty sure they shouldn't have stored your card details in this way to take a second payment!

Then post over in Legal and see if anyone knows more.

Alternatively, scream blue murder until they send you more vouchers and/or free wine!

Depends if you're generally happy with the rest of their service and if their error caused you any other problems i.e. going overdrawn etc.

I would think though that, legally, the price on the screen was the one they are honour bound to give you the product at.

Have you still got your emailed receipt or delivery note?

thesecondcocking Wed 04-Nov-09 16:00:59

they confirmed the amount via email (which went into dps spam account) which states the full amount and does not reference the voucher.
i pointed out that this is sent after i've said 'you can have £77 not a penny more' and that a reputable company shouldn't do that...
she's gone over to IT to see if they can do a screen print of my transaction to back me up...

carocaro Wed 04-Nov-09 16:08:11

Oooh this has put me right off, I was literally about to order some for Xmas as I have one of thise vouchers. I am not now.

This sort of thing pees me right off, they do it to everyone I reckon in the hope that only a certain % A - notice and B - kick up a fuss. It's probaly some sales technique they have learnt to squeeze as much cash out of us so Branson can take more Tattinger to Necker Island over Christmas!

thesecondcocking Wed 04-Nov-09 16:12:14

the voucher is apparently only valid on individual wine cases costing more than £79.99...although the voucher will let you use it and you'll agree the amount,and then they'll just take what they want when the wine is despatched from the warehouse!

thesecondcocking Fri 06-Nov-09 12:07:12

update on this shitstorm...
They've recreated the transaction and seen that i am not lying (!) they've offered to refund the £45 and are letting me cancel my membership to 'wines of the world' wine club (apparently i also 'joined' that)
it still doesn't sit right with me that they could help themselves to my money though so i've sent an email too...see what they come back to me with-just a word of warning to anyone thinking of getting involved with Virgin Wines.

StealthPolarBear Fri 06-Nov-09 12:13:48

not that I agree with what they've done at all, but this does happen with online shopping - e.g. tesco when you confirm say it's a guide price and is always different when it's delivered. OTOH it;s always LESS IME and they spell that out for you.
Justa thought

thesecondcocking Fri 06-Nov-09 12:19:57

this was a voucher that they let me use and then the next day decided it wasn't valid on the wine i'd bought,if they'd rung me or emailed i would've cancelled-they didn't, they just helped themselves to it-i am sure it's not legal though.

StealthPolarBear Fri 06-Nov-09 12:24:17

no, you're right, if you can't use a voucher you expect to be told that when you enter it!
(A few years ahgo I realised the valid to dates on tesco vouchers were ignored...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now