Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be really cheesed off at the catalogue guy interrupting dinner?

(7 Posts)
YanknCock Tue 03-Nov-09 20:19:01

My mum and her husband are over from the U.S. visiting, and tonight we were sitting at dinner (clearly visible through window through front of the house) when there was a knock at the door. My mum got up to answer since DH was in the corner seat and I was breastfeeding the baby.

This guy started banging on about his catalogue, kleeneze or betterware, can't remember which. I'd put one outside today, but when I said this (loudly from the table), he said it wasn't his and started trying to tell my mum about how some other guy was muscling in on his territory.

I then loudly stated we were having dinner and we didn't know where the catalog was. He kept standing there talking as my mom was trying to shut the door, basically being annoyed because we weren't stopping dinner to look for his stupid catalogue. Then he said he wanted us to ring him when we found it, but that he was going to be away soon....blah blah blah...at that point I yelled from my seat at the table 'I don't ask you to put those things through my door!'

Some times I throw the catalogues outside the day they arrive, but I'd kept them in so they wouldn't get rained on. I don't ask for them, and I would think if you try to make money with this scheme you would expect that some catalogues will go missing.

I've never ordered from them, but had been considering. Now I DEFINITELY won't. Only a month ago a guy (possibly the same one) came to the door wanting his fecking catalogue, and stood there waiting impatiently while my 5 week old DS was screaming and needed attending to. You'd think he would say 'I can see you're busy' and fuck off, but no, he wouldn't leave until we'd dug around for ages.

Am I being unreasonable to think this is a shitty way to treat potential customers, and that if you shove stuff through people's doors unsolicited, you ought to be polite and collect when it's convenient for the customer, not interrupting dinners and taking mothers away from babies?

SolidGhoulBrass Tue 03-Nov-09 20:23:15

YANBU and I say this as an Avon rep. If people don't put out my catalogues, I simply don't give them another one: I wouldn't dream of ringing the doorbell and demanding the catalogue back as that's a surefire way of annoying people (well OK I do very occasionally do if it's a regular customer who hasn't put theirs out, but they never mind). I'm quite aware that people don't ask for catalogues and legally they don't have to return them, and can shred them or wipe their bums on them if they want.

hf128219 Tue 03-Nov-09 20:23:23

I think YABU. To him his catalogue is not stupid - it could be his livelihood.

YanknCock Tue 03-Nov-09 20:28:20

hf--that's my point, if it's his livelihood, then he is pissing off potential customers by behaving this way!

SolidGhoulBrass Tue 03-Nov-09 20:42:43

HF: Then he's either a newbie to the job or a complete idiot. You have to absorb a certain number of lost catalogues: for one thing, people put them out obediently and they get rained on - and no one is ever, ever, going to make a purchase from a seller who is intrusive and annoying so it's extremely counterproductive to pester potential customers.

hf128219 Tue 03-Nov-09 20:48:20

I do understand. But I think the OP was more upset about dinner being interrupted/feeding baby - which is fair enough too.

I am a great believer in sometimes thinking the other person (that appears to be a knob e.g the Betterware guy) has probably just had a bad day and try and let it wash over me.

alarkaspree Tue 03-Nov-09 20:52:03

YANBU, as you say you don't ask them to put them through your door. So imo they need to be considerate and polite when they ask for them back.

I'd suggest putting a 'no catalogues please' sign by your letterbox, since this has happened to you more than once.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now