Talk

Advanced search

to want to disqualify people from recruitment process who can't follow the simple instructions on how to apply?

(79 Posts)

Message withdrawn

LadyGlencoraPalliser Tue 03-Nov-09 16:56:15

Nope. It constantly fascinates me that people will apply for jobs without bothering to check the smallest details about the application process. But at least it makes shortlisting easier.

GrimmaTheNome Tue 03-Nov-09 16:57:04

YANBU, if they can't do simply what's asked when applying, best concentrate on the ones who can. Its a valid first filtering mechanism.

I could understand asking for hardcopy if the applicant didn't have a computer, but as they emailed that seems not to be the reason. I suppose they might be emailing from work and have some restrictions.

MaureenMLove Tue 03-Nov-09 16:57:18

Nope. Not at all. I did exactly the same thing last month. I was recruiting and I received loads of application forms, which simply said, 'see attached' and had enclosed their CV.

I appreciate it's a tought world and some people are applying for everything, so it must get tideous at times. However, if you want to stand out from the crowd, in the right way, you have to be able to follow simple instructions.

Someone who doesn't follow those instructions, may very well not be able to follow instructions properly, when I employ them!

Reallytired Tue 03-Nov-09 16:57:45

I think you are being fair. If the applicant does not have a computer they can use a computer in a library and set up a hotmail account for email purposes.

I have strong IT skills, but I am about to lose home email/ internet access as I am moving house and our broadband provider can't get their act together.

SerenityNowAKABleh Tue 03-Nov-09 17:03:40

YANBU.

Message withdrawn

SerenityNowAKABleh Tue 03-Nov-09 17:06:44

Well, that is an IT skill, being able to lose hours to MN. It is stated as a requirement.

WhereYouLeftIt Tue 03-Nov-09 17:12:41

Surely following the instructions correctly is one of the "tests" you would expect to have to pass if you were applying for a job?

Blackduck Tue 03-Nov-09 17:12:51

I can have your job? I can email and follow instructions grin

nickelbang Tue 03-Nov-09 17:20:38

yanbu.

my first filter is spelling/grammatical errors, so whatever it takes to get rid of the ones who really aren't serious.

Pikelit Tue 03-Nov-09 17:20:49

Gah!!!!! I no longer recruit staff (other than peeps to clean or repair the house) but dp does and he suffers from all of of what you describe. Every job attracts candidates who cannot cope with the basic instructions about "no CVs" and a surprising number of hopeful aspirants submit very sloppily completed applications for roles where attention to detail is an essential requirement on the job spec. So no, YANBU. Merely righteously cross!

TrillianAstra Tue 03-Nov-09 17:22:46

YANBU.

I would be nicer to people who fill it in correctly and *also attach a CV than people who just say 'see attached' and don't bother to fill it in.

GrendelsMum Tue 03-Nov-09 17:24:53

Definitely YANBU. Can't follow instructions, can't email - not much use in a job needing IT skills.

Message withdrawn

Bathsheba Tue 03-Nov-09 17:34:04

I do something a LOT less serious than recruitment (NCT Nearly New Sales) and I'm baffled as to the people who can't grasp our simple instructions for that...and I'd expect them to treat a job application with a lot more brevity...but clearly you have found they don't....

AnyFucker Tue 03-Nov-09 17:34:25

well, I am involved in recruitment

we always get an avalanche of applications for every job

straight into the bin goes...

1) not following instructions to the letter

2) forms, online or otherwise, not fully completed

3) poor spelling and grammer

That then leaves about 10% of cases that are for serious consideration

Just make sure that in your list of essential requirements in the person spec are good IT skills and good literacy skills. Then HR cannot pull you up on equal ops.

BouncingTurtle Tue 03-Nov-09 17:35:43

No definitely not.

I was bloody FURIOUS at the jobcentre when they put my direct line on the job ad after I told them not to, as I had loads of people ringing up about a job I was advertising. I made them pull it and put up a new one without my number.

I rejected people who typed up their application form. It quite clearly states they are to be filled in by hand, as we had lots of records and documents that had to be handwritten, and so they needed to be legible.

Message withdrawn

Ivykaty44 Tue 03-Nov-09 17:37:22

My job share was recently advertised - 120 applications came in and 10 went in the bin as it states to fill out form in black - black ink

Not blue green or red

But due to the forms not photocopying they cant be considered in any other colour than blcak.

So the people shortlisting for interviews get 20 knocked off that they dont have to score

BLeedINGandLovingit Tue 03-Nov-09 18:18:46

This is absolutely one of my pet hates. I can't stand the laziness that says, "it's okay, I'm great, and this is ME so they must just accept me." Um, no, I don't have to do anything of the sort and will simply exclude you for getting basic things wrong.

And don't even get me started on interviews. I interviewed someone for a job in communications once - we even got her a Eurostar over from Paris so that she could meet with me and my boss in person. When I walked into the room, she was on her mobile phone texting and continued to text for the next 30 seconds while I stood there with my hand held out to shake hers. She didn't even say something, "I'm sorry, I'm just letting my DH know that I've got her safely" or something which while embarassing, at least wouldn't have been rude. I was very tempted to shake her hand and say "thanks for coming in but we won't be offering you the position."

Then there was the person who wanted a job in PR but told me he hadn't had time to do even a quick internet search on the company I worked for as he hadn't had time... it's a huge multinational company with an extensive and well informed website...!

BelaLugosisDad Tue 03-Nov-09 19:30:12

The only problem I can see is insisting the application is emailed; this doesn't select people with IT skills but people with their own PC and internet connection, which my diversity antennae say might be indirectly discriminatory. (You might not do such a good app or have time to spend on it if you have to use the library).

Otherwise - agree 100%

PeedOffWithNits Tue 03-Nov-09 19:38:45

YANBU OP

reminds me of a teacher friend who always used to bang on about reading the questions before starting the exam paper (in the days when you had to select 3 out of 10 Qs or whatever). he says once he set a JOKE mock exam which had as the first instruction "First read ALL of the questions, then decide which ones you will answer, in any order you wish" BUT, at the very end of the last Question it said "NOW that you have read all of the questions DO NOT answer any of them, you have already passed my test".

those sat scribbling frantically away could not understand those who were sitting smugly smiling after 10 mins of careful reading!

sazzerbear Tue 03-Nov-09 19:39:18

At least they are doing the CV "culling" for you, no excuses at the level you are recruting for!!

Reallytired Tue 03-Nov-09 19:42:23

"The only problem I can see is insisting the application is emailed; this doesn't select people with IT skills but people with their own PC and internet connection, which my diversity antennae say might be indirectly discriminatory. "

Not true, our local council library has free internet access. I am sure this is the case in many major towns. Alternatively there are internet cafes. It is not discriminatory to weed out those who have zero initiative.

Prehaps itwascertainlyasurprise wants to employ someone who can think laterally and doesn't give up easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now