Talk

Advanced search

to be just a little bit annoyed?

(16 Posts)
LollipopVioletsExplodingRocket Mon 02-Nov-09 20:02:32

OK, long story short, I was out shopping with 2 friends today. Now, we're all quite young, all single, no kids yet. So, we're looking in all these shops, and I'm the biggest of the 3 of us at a size 14/16 (varies by shop and style of clothes- am also going to the gym to slim down), both my mates are finding nice things in their size, I'm having a right old time (only finding up to a 12), and one of them says "Don't worry, there's always the maternity section." I gave her a look that probably would've killed her, and said I didn't really find that sort of thing helpful, nor funny. I'm very self conscious about my size, and as I said, I am working on it. Seems to be water under the bridge now, she sometimes speaks before she thinks and it's the first time I've ever had a problem with anything she's said. But would you have been offended? I think maybe I am being a teeny bit U because I was daring to look in places like Primark, Topshop and River Island...

toddlerama Mon 02-Nov-09 20:07:16

She sounds like a little cow. Good on you for saying something to her instead of letting her get away with barbed comments like that. I have a similar friend...since I started to say things like "that was unpleasant" or "what are you trying to achieve with those comments?" she has been around less...

busybutterfly Mon 02-Nov-09 20:09:18

YANBU to have been offended and even more YANBU to have been looking in high street shops for your size!

Blimey, do they only go up to a 12 now? sad

PyrotechnicToadstool Mon 02-Nov-09 20:09:35

Of course it's offensive. What a bitch. Get new friends. I buy lots of size 16 clothes from Topshop - but River Island is crap.

LollipopVioletsExplodingRocket Mon 02-Nov-09 20:11:10

That's all I could find! Primark did go to 14, but their sizes are tiny! I think the fact I'm after a bargain (student ) also limits it, and maybe because it's the sales...I don't really know, but today I was having no joy.

GhoulsAreLoud Mon 02-Nov-09 20:12:14

She was being a cow, I would have thought all of those shops would stock your size, you're not exactly massive are you? A pretty average size I would say.

angelbymoonlight Mon 02-Nov-09 20:13:05

No not unreasonable at all, I would have been offended too.

Besides maternity is cut different to cover a baby bump. IME some mat wear can actually make you look bigger if you wear when not pregnant.

The way I used to see it when I was as small as you (pre kids) is that the reason there was nothing in my size is because that size is obviously more in demand than the smaller sizes which were left on the shelf. smile

teameric Mon 02-Nov-09 20:15:12

next time tell her to go fuck herself,cheeky bitch angry I'm the same size as you and find things in Topshop, agree with you on River Island and Primark, never find anything to fit me in there either sad, at least your doing something about it though, good for you! stay positivesmile

LollipopVioletsExplodingRocket Mon 02-Nov-09 20:50:21

Aaah I'm so glad I wasn't being overly sensitive! And, on the plus side, I've just remembered that I ordered some very nice jeans from the ladies section of Premier Man, of all places. Just looked online and found some cargo trousers (that I've been after for ages!) and a nice top (in 2 pretty colours!) all for not very much, so they'll be ordered tomorrow All is well in my world, for now!

Firawla Tue 03-Nov-09 10:11:59

i thought primark did do size 14 and 16?
its quite an average size these days im suprised if they dont
and yanbu at all, your friend is rude

oldraver Tue 03-Nov-09 18:09:13

Well I think the reason you couldn't find those perfectly average size is just that. they are so popular they seem to go quickly

Morloth Tue 03-Nov-09 18:14:25

Cut her loose. I had a "friend" like this when I was young. Whenever I was with her I always ended up feeling bad about myself.

catinthehat2 Tue 03-Nov-09 18:39:46

Cow.
Bin her.

PixiNanny Thu 05-Nov-09 22:27:40

I'm an 8-10 top wise and once came out with "Wow, this size 6 fits me brilliantly!" (or something along those lines blush) in front of my friends who were all sizes 12-16. I felt terrible. My point is that if this was a one off, she's probably feeling a bit terrible for the comment too!

FanofFireworks Thu 05-Nov-09 22:32:03

With friends like her, who needs enemies?!

New look are good value / size range too (fron an old fogey of 26 rofl)

TheLadyEvenstarsRomanCandle Thu 05-Nov-09 22:35:21

Ohhh Now primark are a classic. I am a size 12 bottom and a 14 top...but if I buy from Primark I have to get an 18 to get it to fit!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now