Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to want to beat my head repeatedly on the kitchen table?

(26 Posts)
preciouslillywhite Mon 02-Nov-09 18:55:23

Ds (12) is Ill, with an ailment which he says "might be flu"- he has been sent home from school by the nurse (who also sent him home "ill" early on the Friday befor half term...one hour later he was eating crisps and watching cebeebies hmm)

Unfortunately when Ill ds now looks exactlee like his dad, who I will call xp (I normally call him a lot more than that, but that's another story)- who when he was Ill used to put on a sort of salwar kameezy thing he'd got on holiday, which I used to call the Pyjamas of Sickness. He used to just sit in them watching Ricki Lake, sweating and groaning.

Oh, and smoking hmm

Now have been trying to get ds to take ibuprofen tablets in all different shapes and sizes by swallowing them with water. Since he hasn't learnt this life skill yet six of them are now in the kitchen bin.

Now I am trying very hard to talk in a nice kind squeaky voice, when all I really want to do is shout "forgodssakeDSgetafuckingrip!!"

now- am I being fucking unreasonable??AM I???? angry

2shoeshissbangwhoosh Mon 02-Nov-09 18:57:15

give him some calpol
ds took yonks to take tablets
so 12 is still young
oh and yabu comparing you ds with someone you don't like
but I feel your pain

LynetteScavo Mon 02-Nov-09 18:57:56

Aww...give him calpol and only vegtable soup to eat.

Then kick his ass into school in the morning!

kittywise Mon 02-Nov-09 18:58:13

no yanbu

tell him to get a grip, 12 is old enough!

preciouslillywhite Mon 02-Nov-09 18:59:15

I know you're right 2shoes...

...but he really really looks like his dad grin

AnyFucker Mon 02-Nov-09 19:00:14

ill kids have to go to bed in this house

no tv, no pc, no GameBoys etc, nada

if you are too ill to be in school, then you are bedbound, simple as

funnily enough, my kids are never ill smile

preciouslillywhite Mon 02-Nov-09 19:00:56

...will probably be quite glad if he never manages to take tablets

then I won't have to worry about certain forms of drug abuse when he hits full adolescence

<unscrews infant calpol bottle>

2shoeshissbangwhoosh Mon 02-Nov-09 19:01:28

are you sure there isn't a hidden problem, like being bullied at school

preciouslillywhite Mon 02-Nov-09 19:03:03

am pretty sure there's no real underlying problem- just what we call in this house CBA (Can't Be Arsed)...but I will investigate

...when a bit less impatient

madamearcati Mon 02-Nov-09 19:13:50

YABU some adults can't swallow pills.

raindroprhyme Mon 02-Nov-09 19:13:51

my 4 year ols swallows tablets. pharmacist thinks it is great and always tells him some people have to have tablets only in certain colours so they can swallow them.
To be fair he has to take about 15 different tablets a day so has had lots of practice.

i remember being shut in the larder with my mums best friend and wasn't allowed out till i could swallow a sugar coated paracetamol. i was 12.

totally irrelevant post apologies. i blame pregnacy brain and 2 sick children home from school all day and a hungover husband. i am going slightly mad.

preciouslillywhite Mon 02-Nov-09 19:16:30

that wasn't irrelevant raindrop!

...I used to have tablets crushed between two teaspoons with jam on the top smile

madamearcati Mon 02-Nov-09 20:48:50

Its an involuntary thing though so i can only think pressuring a child is going to make it worse.

BLEEPyouYOUbleepingBLEEP Mon 02-Nov-09 20:57:21

lmfao at the image created in my head by the 'Pyjamas of Sickness' - fkg brilliant lol

EccentricaGallumBANG Mon 02-Nov-09 21:01:38

DD won't even take crushed with jam / disolvable / in juice / liquid forms of any medicine in any form at all.

Although she can swallow whole smarties.

Drives me mental.

DS isn't wearing the sickness nightie is he? I think a very very early night is neededfor someone with flu.

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 21:02:23

anyfucker i like the sound of your house (and i love your name) (and im really not trying to lick your ar*e)

peppapighastakenovermylife Mon 02-Nov-09 21:06:48

Oh god, my DH does the pyjamas of sickness thing too - I feel your pain.

He wears exactly the same thing - joggers (a pair he only wears when sick), t shirt and then dressing gown over the top. And slippers. Very attractive.

Sits in the living room, curtains drawn. Eats chicken soup for lunch (regardless of what else he eats in the day). Watches tv he wouldnt normally watch.

Has that look on his face...long...sad mouth...dog eyes. Just generally sulky teenager face which makes me want to slap him. Can only talk in a strained voice...

I remember him doing this when off with a sickness bug. I had hyperemesis at the time but was still working so wasnt ovely sympathetic about him being sick once. I was working from home and feeling rough...he offers me sour cream and chives pringels. At 9.30 am. I was sick on the spot. He couldnt see the issue.

Anyway I am seriously digressing. I feel your pain. Fingers crossed so far my DS is a real little trooper but has a long way to go / learn as he is only 3.

crankytwanky Mon 02-Nov-09 21:07:06

Rofl at "pyjamas of sickness"! grin

DH -can't-- won't take pills, so glugs at the calpol when he's sick.hmm

AnyFucker Mon 02-Nov-09 21:15:21

< proffers hand to be kissed by boooooo >

smile

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 21:17:55

<wipes mouth with back of hand and puckers up>

AnyFucker Mon 02-Nov-09 21:21:59

< whips hand away and inserts lips for smackeroony >

hormonesnomore Mon 02-Nov-09 21:33:44

Ooh, don't give crushed tablets with jam. I used to have this and can't face blackcurrant jam now (my mother's medicine jam of choice). It always tastes of aspirin to me.

hormonesnomore Mon 02-Nov-09 21:36:41

When DD2 had to take tablets (at age 3), I used to crush them between 2 teaspoons & pour on a little juice to mix. Fiddly, but quite appealing (especially if the juice was fizzy smile)

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 21:38:04

ooh anyfucker ive come over all faint

preciouslillywhite Mon 02-Nov-09 21:51:20

In the end had to give him three spoonfuls of infant ibuprofen myself because he said he was too fragile to do it...

was like spooning it into xp's mouth. Three times

<<shudder>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now