Talk

Advanced search

To re-read books?

(148 Posts)
Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 21:48:59

Not a terrifically serious AIBU but still...

Just from a throwaway comment on another thread, do other peopel re-read books or not then?

I mentioned sthg about it at my book group and was met with horror at the idea.

I could give you a list of at least 30 books I have read many times (Austen, Sayers, Fitzgerald, Mrs Miniver), and others I have casually re-read. Eg I read Time Traveller's Wife 3 times (2nd time for book club; third time before I saw film); or Agatha Christies; or Anne Tyler books etc etc.

Not sure why I do it - is it a comfort thing maybe?

Am I a bit weird? wink

Singed Sun 01-Nov-09 21:50:25

Gosh no I love to re-read books written by my favourite authors.

Our groaning bookshelves are a testament to this!

LetThereBeRock Sun 01-Nov-09 21:51:20

I re-read some reguarly. I don't think of it as being an odd thing to do.

Some books are just too good to part with.

MavisEnderby Sun 01-Nov-09 21:52:14

Yanbu.I often go back to books I haven't read for years and find something new every time.

Am currently steeling self to start re-reading Dickens as got nothing from him as a teen when doing enforced reading of books for examsbut feel I need to revisit now am of more mature years to see if I can see what the fuss is about!

Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 21:53:00

This is it you see.

If you are not going to re-read it (and don't think it is worth saving for the DC to read) then why keep it?

If that is the case then I charity shop it.

forkhandles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:53:08

not at all weird, I re-read books but only certain favourite ones. Usually after I finished a really good book and don't feel like starting another one but still want to read something.

TeamEdward Sun 01-Nov-09 21:53:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 21:54:15

My dad btw always said there was a limited number of books he would read in his life so why re-read any?

hmmmm but if the re-read is better than the new book would be (tho how can you know!)

Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 21:54:52

Oh team edward I have just charity shopped (well actually scout-faired) The Host - I read it for work but really hated it! Sorry.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 01-Nov-09 21:55:11

I definitely re-read for comfort. But also for enjoyment of the work itself. You don't just listen to a piece of music once do you? It doesn't matter that you know 'how it goes'.

TigerBitesAgain Sun 01-Nov-09 21:55:29

I do re-read, but very very few. And all the rest are ruthlessly dispatched to charity shops. There are so many amazing and interesting books out there. Re-reading is good, and sometimes brilliant, but it is a luxury. IMO.

FaintlyMacabre Sun 01-Nov-09 21:57:20

I can't imagine not re-reading. If I have really enjoyed something then I want to read it again and again. It's often a comfort thing for me as well- Austen and Sayers are the ones I turn to as well. (Also Marian Keyes, Laura Ingalls Wilder, LM Montgomery and Noel Streatfield, but we'll gloss over those ones wink).

Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 21:57:52

See tiger, some people have said oh yes they have re-read a handful of books.

But I have a really really long list. I know Jane Austen and DL Sayers LPW books by heart; it's never a good sign if I am reading them.

But if like forkhandles I have finished the book I am on with, I will scout out something I liked to read again and it might just be some old Alison Lurie movel or such.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 01-Nov-09 21:58:37

God, what's the matter with a bit of luxury when it comes to reading?

Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 21:59:27

oooooh Anne of Green Gables...

I re-read What Katy Did the other day having found it at a fair and bought for DD

TheFallenMadonna Sun 01-Nov-09 21:59:54

Tigerbites - are you as ruthless in your experience of music? There's a lot of that out there too...

LetThereBeRock Sun 01-Nov-09 22:05:30

Why is it a luxury?

FaintlyMacabre Sun 01-Nov-09 22:05:33

Actually, for me at the moment, reading a new book would be a bit of a luxury. I can buy from Amazon, which is money I can't really justify spending on a book I don't even know I'll like, or I can go to the library. Currently, the only time I get to the library I am accompanied by a 2 year old who has no interest in leisurely browsing the adult section. So I am re-reading everything in the house for the nth time.
True luxury would be going by myself to the library with time to look for exactly what I want.

TigerBitesAgain Sun 01-Nov-09 22:09:15

well I guess what the book is and what the music is. Different things, to me at least: books, a new experience, a new world, a new puzzle (yes, quite a few I read are whodunnits, so once you know whodunnit, the mystery has gone..). Music - ok, I am not anywhere as ruthless but I like to hear new stuff all the time. Different art forms, different rules.
Sounds like a touchy subject though. I thought everyone recycled their paperbacks.

theyoungvisiter Sun 01-Nov-09 22:09:55

I re-read some books and not others. Like you I have some I've read 30+ times. Sometimes I'll read a book and love it so much that I'll start all over again at the beginning.

Definitely a comfort thing in some cases, other cases it's a sense of having read the book before I was ready for it, and wanting to appreciate it again.

LetThereBeRock Sun 01-Nov-09 22:12:19

Every 3 months or so I will send some books to the charity shop but I retain the majority of them.

IMHO the acquisition of new books, something that involves time and money, would be a greater luxury than reading a novel for a second or third time.

Clary Sun 01-Nov-09 22:14:19

actually tyv not sure there are many I have read 30 times! I said I could list 30 I had read many times grin

Tho Great Gatbsy now, must have read that at least 20 times...

DD is a re-reader btw which is interesting. She is a devourer of books but read the Enchanted Forest again and again. I think she just wanted more of it but there are only 3 books, sadly....

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sun 01-Nov-09 22:17:59

Always. I very rarely get rid of a book because you never know - only if I really wasn't impressed.

weblette Sun 01-Nov-09 22:19:02

YANBU I love re-reading.

Our house is full of books.

The thought that I can pick up and enjoy an old friend or rediscover something I read ages ago with a new perspective - it's what books are about to me.

UniS Sun 01-Nov-09 22:20:42

YANBU

Re-reading a book is like listening to a CD again, ie- NORMAL.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now