Talk

Advanced search

to go abroad for 3 days leaving 9 month old with DH?

(19 Posts)
cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:28:20

have been invited to a hen do abroad - DS will be 9 months old by then. Do you think that's too young for me to leave him? What's the likelyhood that he will still be waking up for feeds at night?

StephHaydock Sun 01-Nov-09 21:29:48

Go entirely with how you / DH feel. I went away for 4 nights when my first child was 6 months old. Some people would think that was awful, but I felt comfortable that my DH could cope and that my DS had a good attachment to his dad and felt happy and secure. Of course I missed him, but I also had a bloody lovely time away! grin

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:33:53

DH is such a heavy sleeper I worry that he won't wake up if DS cries in the night - he never does when I'm there unless it's a ploy to avoid getting up hmm. Problem with seeing how I feel is that it's 4 months away & if I go they need to know now to book cheap flights

Ewe Sun 01-Nov-09 21:34:13

I think you'll be fine. I too spent 4 days away when my DD was 6 months, had a fantastic time and whilst I missed DD I really needed the break after six months of breastfeeding and not much sleep grin

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:37:50

that's the thing, I'll still be breastfeeding so I'm wondering whether it's worth the hassle of missing him/worrying about him/expressing 3 days' worth before I go/expressing whilst I'm away to avoid sore boobs/milk drying up...

LynetteScavo Sun 01-Nov-09 21:39:53

If he's still waking up during the night, being left with a heavy sleeping dH should soon sort him out. wink.

Seriously, though, your DH is only not waking up because he knows you're there. If he has sole responsiblility, he'll wake up for your DS.

Where is the hen night?

LynetteScavo Sun 01-Nov-09 21:40:56

Personally, If I was still BF, I would't go, but then I hated expressing.

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:41:39

lets hope you're right LS! It's in spain

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:42:26

I HATE expressing too....

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 21:51:05

if you are happy to leave him then go and have fun

some mums on here arent happy to leave their dc, others are

it sounds like you are happy to leave ds

your dh should will be capable to look after HIS son for 3 days and sure a monitor placed right beside dh ears willmke sure he akes up

and you never know ds may be sleeping through by then

lilolilmanchester Sun 01-Nov-09 21:55:54

If you feel you could go, I think it will be good for DH and DS to spend some time together and for you to have a break. The only rule is that if you decide to go, you go without feeling guilty and have the best time. Hope you decide to go xxx

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 21:56:30

if I'm honest blondes, I'm not really happy leaving him but it's a really close friend and I feel as though I should go, and others going are leaving babies as young (and younger) and I don't want to seem like a wimp for not wanting to leave him (he's not PFB either grin!)

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 22:03:21

would you feel any different in 4mths time?

could you book flight now if not too exp and then if you cant leave ds not go?

is friend having a local hen do as well that you could go to?

mollybob Sun 01-Nov-09 22:05:30

I left PFB for 3 days at about that age - he was mostly sleeping through and not being breast fed. I missed him but him and DH were fine. DH lost his shoes and apparently PFB kept looking at him with a confused look and poking his chest which DH took as him saying "Where's the other one who is comfier to cuddle?"

Not sure I could have gone if I was breast feeding though

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 22:06:39

this is what I've been thinking blondes, and/or just go for 1 night although it seems mad to go to spain just for a night out!
she is talking of doing a local hen do yes, so I would definitely go to that either way

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 22:13:09

if you go for one night you would have to book different flights from your friends and would prob be a lot more money

i say book the flight and if you really cant manage to go in 4mths then so be it

BosomForAPillow Sun 01-Nov-09 22:15:55

To be honest I couldn't have left my dd for 3 days at 9 months. If you're still going to be breastfeeding then it will be a huge pita commitment to express before and during the weekend. As you say you're not really happy leaving him but feel you should, I think you would not be able to relax and enjoy the weekend anyway.

cluccles Sun 01-Nov-09 22:16:12

will have a look at flights tomorrow then decide
thanks, off to bed now

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 01-Nov-09 22:23:20

welcome

night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now