Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To enjoy work?

(14 Posts)
lisbey Sun 01-Nov-09 19:25:11

I work in banking and no matter how much everyone thinks we got was was coming to us, we brought it on ourselves etc, the vast majority are ordinary people doing ordinary jobs for ordinary money and the last 12-18 months have been truly horrid.

There has been huge uncertainty about jobs, lots of restructuring that means people are now not doing the jobs they wanted, some good colleagues have been made redundant and we've had to deal with all the venom in the press and from the public.

I was one of those made redundant, but at the last minute, was able to to apply for (and got) another position, which was a promotion (every cloud)

I am now doing the new job and really enjoying it, while all around me people are still almost ready to jump. It makes me feel guilty and I want to solve all thier problems for them, but obviously I can't.

Earthstar Sun 01-Nov-09 19:27:41

err what is your point exactly?

llareggub Sun 01-Nov-09 19:32:10

What you are describing is a common reaction to a redundancy situation.

Mutt Sun 01-Nov-09 19:42:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

agedknees Sun 01-Nov-09 19:42:52

Just wanted to say congratulations on your new job.

YANBU to like your work. We spend a lot of time at work and should enjoy it.

pippylongstockings Sun 01-Nov-09 19:43:31

I too work in banking and it on a day to day level it is shit - in the last year have been subjected to take-over, made to learn new computer systems with no face to face training, been told my job no long exists and I have to work in direct sales, and been made to move offices several times or else I don't have a job - glad you enjoy your work but...........

Mutt Sun 01-Nov-09 19:44:40

Mutt Sun 01-Nov-09 19:45:21

lisbey Sun 01-Nov-09 20:06:54

Ok, so my OP could have been better.

It feels unreasonable to be enjoying work, when all around me are feeling like pippy. I don't gloat about it, am a bit embarrassed about it TBH, but also feel like I should be "allowed" to enjoy it while it lasts, as I also know it will be short lived and the buggers will mess it up again before long.

lisbey Sun 01-Nov-09 20:08:15

Mutt - if it's only DM journalists, there must be an awful lot of them about, based on the abuse we take from the public on a daily basis.

Mutt Sun 01-Nov-09 20:30:55

WhereYouLeftIt Sun 01-Nov-09 20:39:14

Lisbey, YANBU, and as already mentioned by llareggub is a common experience when redundancies are happening - I think it's called 'survivor syndrome' or some such waffly term.

Back in the 90's there were four separate rounds of redundancy in the company I worked for. I 'survived' each round, but several colleagues did not. The workplace was not a nice place to be, as those of us still there felt guilty about still having jobs when our friends of many years did not.

You are fortunate that the reorganisation has placed you in a new promoted post, where the pleasure in that can outweigh the guilt. Recognise it as such, and be grateful. You are not a bad person for enjoying your new job. Consider how it would be if you had been made redundant but then offered this job by another company - you'd have no reason for unearned guilt then.

lisbey Sun 01-Nov-09 20:49:49

mutt - in a bank! grin and the abuse comes from customers who think our huge (or non-existent) bonuses come from the charges they pay, or that all bank staff must be as useless as the past executives (especially when you have to tell them something they don't want to hear ) Bank knocking is the current national sport and because of the way the bonuses get reported, the abuse is aimed at the staff personally, rather than the organisation iyswim

LoveBeingAMummy Sun 01-Nov-09 20:52:28

you should enjoy your job, i did and i was made redundant from a bank in may. wonder if its the same one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now