Talk

Advanced search

to be fed up of "Sponge clean only" dress up outfits

(8 Posts)
TheBlairSnitchProject Sun 01-Nov-09 14:27:13

If I am buying a dress-up outfit in a toddler size, shouldn't it be obvious to the supplier that I do not have the time or the energy to sponge clean cake/crisps/juice off the damn thing after it's been worn to the party?

I just want to throw it in the washing machine!

But no, every single one is "Sponge clean only" or in one case we own "do not wash"!!!!shock

I am so tempted to throw the lot in the washing machine anyway and see what happens. Yes, if they're ruined it'll be a waste of a tenner (or whatever they cost - bar one Mothercare one, they weren't expensive) but on the other hand, are they ever going to get worn again anyway?

A handwash cycle wouldn't do that much harm right? hmm

Seona1973 Sun 01-Nov-09 14:29:16

I have washed halloween stuff on a gentle cycle before - a bit of the glitter came off but apart from that they turned out fine.

qwertpoiuy Sun 01-Nov-09 14:30:55

I bought a white Princess dress for DD1 years ago and first time she wore it, it got dirty. I threw it in the washing machine even though it was sponge clean only, and it washed well! It has been washed a few times since and now DD2 is wearing it. Only problem was one sean became undone - nothing a needle and thread couldn't sort out!

Jajas Sun 01-Nov-09 14:31:46

Oh I chuck all mine in the machine and they have always been fine! (Don't quote me though please if a Purple Pumpkin wrecks all your families lovely clothes blush!)

TheBlairSnitchProject Sun 01-Nov-09 14:36:17

I was going to chuck them in on their own so if they run they only ruin each other.

There's no glitter to come off, it's just a velour spider suit and a polyester vampire outfit...

Right - Spidey and Dracula are going in.... Wish me luck grin

Elk Sun 01-Nov-09 14:52:00

All fancy dress outfits in this house get washed on the handwash cycle and all seem to be ok.

TheBlairSnitchProject Sun 01-Nov-09 14:54:16

They're in now....

Cold hand wash cycle.

Will let you know if they come out OK.

TheBlairSnitchProject Sun 01-Nov-09 15:29:45

They're out and washed and all as good as new

Thanks Mumsnet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now