Talk

Advanced search

to feel like we just fleeced the new estate of sweets

(8 Posts)
zanz1bar Sat 31-Oct-09 19:52:07

Drove the dc from their rural home to nearest big new estate for trick or treats, feel a bit like we have just done the middle class equivalent of mugging for sweets.

people really put a lot of effort into decorating their houses, if anyone could find ours down country lanes they would get sweet FA.

IlanaK Sat 31-Oct-09 20:16:57

We do this - sort of. We live in a mansion block in central london so no trick or treaters here. We take the kids to a neighbouring part of London (only a 10 minute bus ride) where all the rich americans live. They really decorate their million pound homes and welcome trick or treaters. My dh took them late afternnon and they came home with an insane amount of chocolate and sweets. But dh said that all the people who answered the doors were so happy to see kids dressed up.

Wallace Sat 31-Oct-09 20:18:41

Trick or Treat tourism - I like it grin

Firawla Sat 31-Oct-09 20:34:43

well if you are going to do it might aswel go to the area where it's done "properly"
people who didn't decorate or prepare for it would have only been annoyed and not answered the door anyway, so yanbu

IlanaK Sat 31-Oct-09 20:37:05

The Americans in the area we go to would be very dissapointed if people did not go. It is such a huge part of their culture (I grew up in the US) and I think they miss the experience when they are over here. I don't feel any guilt about taking my kids to their area.

Hassled Sat 31-Oct-09 20:38:21

In previous years one road close by to us has developed a reputation as the Trick or Treat hotspot - hoards of children descended on it. This year - barely a pumpkin. The residents have clearly Had Enough .

zanz1bar Sat 31-Oct-09 20:52:37

Trick or Treat tourism ....how true.

busybutterfly Sat 31-Oct-09 22:42:57

Can you come to ours please - had no trick or treaters and have lots of Hallowe'en goodies!

Otherwise I'll be forced to eat them all myself sad grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now