Talk

Advanced search

To think WTF at someone not using a basket or trolley in supermarket

(32 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Sat 31-Oct-09 15:08:18

Middle aged man in Tescos today carrying all his shopping in his arms.

Dropping bits everywhere. It was as if he was appearing on Crackerjack.

What was on his mind?

Why would you not say to yourself, oh, obviously it turns out I need more than the one loaf of bread I came in for and could do with some sort of carrying device - oooh look! - a faintly cubiod construction made of robust wire in a square pattern with a sort of primitive handle affixed to it - could I utilise that in any way?

Was he trying to advertise himself as: Single, In Need Of A Wife (but only achieving: Usless, In Need Of A Kick Up The Arse).

Why?

Why?

cornsilk Sat 31-Oct-09 15:09:17

Maybe there were no baskets left?

UnquietDad Sat 31-Oct-09 15:09:35

Double or Drop! Have a cabbage!

DaisymooSteiner Sat 31-Oct-09 15:10:42

It was probably my dad.

emsyj Sat 31-Oct-09 15:10:47

Oh god I do this ALL the time. I go in for one item, end up seeing another thing I need, then another, then another... and by then it's too late to get a basket, or they're so far away I can't be bothered.

<<shame>>

Why do you care so much?

Anifrangapani Sat 31-Oct-09 15:13:44

I do this .... Think I just need milk and bread and then decide to pick up chocolate, wine and a few other essentials

TrillianSlasher Sat 31-Oct-09 15:16:56

I just need... oh look it's on offer... oh yes that looks tasty... and this... I can manage it... baskets are too far away... smash!

whatreallygrindsmygears Sat 31-Oct-09 15:17:08

i do this too.
good for the biceps

BalloonSlayer Sat 31-Oct-09 15:17:12

Why do I care so much?

I don't grin

But he looked so stupid. He was dropping everything and didn't seem ready to give up and do the obvious.

Maybe he reminded me of DS1, who tries to carry lunchbox, book and pencil case to school all in his hands and when I tell him to get a BAG, gets one and then tries to carry lunchbox, book, pencil case and bag all in his hands to school.

<takes chill pill>

ShowOfHands Sat 31-Oct-09 15:19:08

"Hello StrugglingMan, my name is BalloonSlayer. You appear to be struggling a little. Can I perhaps get a basket for you?" <kindly smile>

OR

"WTF ARE YOU DOING YOU FREAK?"

OR

<shrug>

Stayingscarygirl Sat 31-Oct-09 15:20:37

I do it too. blush Dh and I go to the supermarket together, and sometimes we split up, and rather than getting the one or two items I've gone off for, I end up with a huge armful, wandering desperately round the supermarket, trying to find dh and the trolley. He always gets to keep the trolley - I am not sure why....

emsyj Sat 31-Oct-09 15:23:30

I do so many things that make me look stupid that one more can't harm. I just never realised that people thought I did look stupid!!!

Also what Stayingscarygirl said. DH is a master of hiding from me in the supermarket and whisking down aisles full of things we need whilst failing to put any of those things in the trolley, so that I end up carrying everything and losing him.

Stayingscarygirl Sat 31-Oct-09 15:24:45

Maybe there's some sort of special training course they go on, ensyj!

halloweenbanana Sat 31-Oct-09 15:26:26

Perhaps it's a form of weight training.

twolittlemonkeys Sat 31-Oct-09 15:26:31

We sometimes end up doing that scarygirl! I did go to Aldi the other day with my 2 DS and didnt have a pound for the trolley so had to pile up the buggy as they don't do baskets! Yes I did feel stupid when I added one too many items and everything crashed to the floor... blush

TabithaWitches Sat 31-Oct-09 15:37:48

I am always doing this too blush I look even more stupid when I am trying to push a buggy/ control excited toddler with my other hand.

peanutbutterkid Sat 31-Oct-09 15:41:33

This happens to me in Lidl. Because they only have trolleys, and you need a quid to get a trolley, and I almost never have a quid...
SIGH.

squeaver Sat 31-Oct-09 15:43:41

Arf at Crackerjack [gimmer]

IdrisTheDragon Sat 31-Oct-09 15:50:48

I did that today (but did eventually find a basket you will be glad to hear).

Bucharest Sat 31-Oct-09 15:52:11

It's a bloke thing- they think trolleys are for girls.

PeedOffWithNits Sat 31-Oct-09 15:53:32

i do this, when I pop in for a few things, thinking that I wont spend too much - but i cant resist the BOGOFS etc!

I never drop stuff though, if I had that much I would get a basket

TrillianSlasher Sat 31-Oct-09 17:00:17

LOL at SoH

phoebeophelia Sat 31-Oct-09 17:02:16

OP What's it to you?

diddl Sat 31-Oct-09 17:11:02

Of course YANBU hmm

I have never gone into a supermarket for a couple of items and ended up picking up more than I intended to.grin

SixtyFootGhoul Sat 31-Oct-09 17:13:43

Was it me? in Disguise I always do this.
Go in for bread then am tempted by wine other essentials .
Cannot be bothered to go back for basket.
Good job I have a llarge chin to keep bits hooked onto my folded arms!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now