Talk

Advanced search

To give my 2yo Medised?

(7 Posts)
HangingOnTheTrubliphone Sat 31-Oct-09 13:35:56

I know the law changed in March to say children under 6 shouldn't be given Medised.

When DS was small, it was marketed as suitable for 3mo and upwards, which then changed to 2yo, and now to 6yo.

DS has had it occasionally when blocked up and coldy, which led to difficulty breathing during sleep - in fact, since he was a few months old (in line with recommendations then).

He has a horrible cold at the moment, bunged up, can't breath and it's affecting his sleep. Last night he woke about every hour through the night.

I've googled, found this "Products with old labelling that give doses for children under six won't be immediately withdrawn from sale, because there are no immediate safety issues with them and they have been in wide use for decades" and so am considering giving him a dose tonight.

AIBU?

reikizen Sat 31-Oct-09 13:37:48

I would give it to mine, but I don't know why they have changed the age guidance, was it something major?

sazzerbear Sat 31-Oct-09 13:38:39

No, YANBU, I think the law was changed as people in America were giving much higher doese than they should. I still use it from time to time, my HV has said OK to use in cold situations (as you are planning to do), just stick to the dosage recommendations.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sat 31-Oct-09 13:40:54

erm it can suppress breathing so best not give it to a child with breathing difficulties

prop up his bed/cot at the head end so that he is sleeoing on a slight slope

open window for fresh air

all the ususal things

TombliBOOOOOObs Sat 31-Oct-09 13:41:09

YABU

girlsyearapart Sat 31-Oct-09 13:45:18

I still occasionally give it to mine- still have a bottle with the 3m plus dosage info on.

Does nowt for their sleep but does help with their breathing when stuffed up.

wingandprayer Sat 31-Oct-09 13:45:49

I wouldn't give it to mine now. You don't know for sure that formulation hasn't changed now and it contains other things that are only suitable for over 6 year olds. A pharmacist wouldn't recommend it and they know better than me about such stuff.

What's wrong with calpol and a better decongestant? We use those plug in things and always worked a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now