Talk

Advanced search

to hate fireworks?

(24 Posts)
deaddei Sat 31-Oct-09 09:38:08

Now I love watching them explode in the sky- very pretty- but I hate all the bangs.
The golf club at the back of us had a display last night, and it was 30 minutes of non stop bangs. Ds (10) was scared- the cat hid behind the tumble dryer.
And it's not even the 5th!

anothercoldcupoftea Sat 31-Oct-09 09:43:27

I suspect many will say YABU because they are good fun, but I think YA definitely NBU. Its like downtown Baghdad here from October through to New Year. Stops me sleeping, wakes the kids up, scares the cat. Grrr.

nevergoogledragonbutter Sat 31-Oct-09 09:45:55

oh i can't stand them

i used to watch my dad go around in the garden in the dark attaching catherine wheels to trees and have them spin off in his direction.

at school we would spend all day listening to warnings about how dangerous they are. then in the evening my dad would attempt an amateur display with fireworks that didn't go off etc.

i get a big 'health and safety' about it all.

CrystalQueen Sat 31-Oct-09 09:53:39

I love watching fireworks, at a proper display. They can be amazing. So from that point of view, YABU. But I used to be cursed by kids letting them off outside my flat for three months a year (once, in the stairwell ffs). My poor dog hated it. So for the crap ones you can buy YANBU.

cakeywakey Sat 31-Oct-09 09:53:40

I love fireworks, but I think that there's real overkill now. I'm one of the killjoys that thinks there should only be organised displays and no over-the-counter-sales to the general public. And that displays should be held as far away from people's houses as possible.

I've had to arrange with a neighbour (who works shifts) for us to get each other's cats in and out during the day for the next week - as we reckon that people will start their own displays tonight and run until next weekend.

We had a nightare last year with daughter being woken up at all hours of the night. And one my cats went missing for a week the last time we let him out on a week night, days before 5 Nov angry.

<gets down from fireworks soapbox and goes to put kettle on>

RatherBeOnThePiste Sat 31-Oct-09 13:40:09

It was Diwali recently though - so lots of fireworks to celebrate that, so maybe they weren't early for nov 5th?
I do agree on over the counter sales - not neccessary. displays are the way to go. I love fireworks but my cats don't.

sazzerbear Sat 31-Oct-09 13:42:28

I love them too but every year the dog goes berserk and DH is always working so I have to deal with the poor pooch on my own! It wouldn't be so bad if they were on for say two days but they seem to go on for weeks sad

BobbingForPeachys Sat 31-Oct-09 14:06:14

I like them on Bonfire night <<with a few days leeway I guess>> and New Years Eve, I think they should be limited to certain locations (licences system) above that, and displays with qualified staff only

BobbingForPeachys Sat 31-Oct-09 14:07:32

(OH yes- add Diwali and Eid partiesand theiorequivalent to list of OK- but still limited.)

red37 Sat 31-Oct-09 14:12:43

I cant stand bonnie night, at the back of us, the local park has a display, I darent leave the house as the parking is terrible for hours and I will not be able to get my space back
sorry for being a misery guts

BobbingForPeachys Sat 31-Oct-09 14:14:23

Well I do understansbut then thatsuseveryday between 2 and4 LOL_ too many schools, nurseries, Church classes etc.....

Crazycatlady Sat 31-Oct-09 14:18:49

You are NBU. Organised displays are fun but I could happily exist without them.

We live in a south London terrace and why on earth people think it's ok to let fireworks off in the garden I don't know (gardens are about 3m square round here).

It's just loud and annoying quite frankly, and the cats are terrified every year. Dreading fireworks night now we have a 9 month old too.

boodeniites Sat 31-Oct-09 14:19:08

i love them at organized displays and ill be going to one on the 5th hanging out the window to see the one in our home town onthe 7th cant stand the neds that let them off in the street etc my cats are terrified of them they try and get into a tiny corner or under the couch

whatreallygrindsmygears Sat 31-Oct-09 15:10:42

loathe them because they terrify me. i stay indoors like the Blue Peter pets

seaglass Sat 31-Oct-09 15:25:07

I hate fireworks - in an ideal world, there would only be organised displays, which have to give plenty of warning before they happen.
We went out one night, leaving the dog in the kitchen. While we were away, some little oiks let off fireworks near our house, the dog went berserk, and ended up covering herself and the kitchen with blood - we never did find out where she hurt herself.
Hate them, hate them, hate them!

Besom Sat 31-Oct-09 15:44:43

I'm sick to death of organised ones as well because I live somewhere where the council uses any old excuse to let them off what seems like every other week. Not pissy gardens ones, either - big, megaton ones. I realise I'm being bah humbug though, because they do look nice I suppose.

PootleTheFlump Sat 31-Oct-09 17:03:42

My poor dog nearly expires each year, and we now have to medicate her. Because you cannot predict when they are going to start (she ran off last Monday after hearing some near the park, we now have to drug her for a period of about 2 weeks, and she still ends up in a panting mess, poor thing. I actually like fireworks and always enjoyed going to displays, but think it should just be sparklers and golden rain etc in private settings and the big bangs should be saved for limited, licensed public displays that would be advertised and predictable.

bamboobutton Sat 31-Oct-09 18:45:54

i hate them, really hate them. i currently have a 20mo screaming and too scared to leave the living room because kids are letting off fireworks that seem to be exploding right over my roofangry

i agree with the newspaper campaigns to ban the sale of them to the general public too. agree they should be for organised displays only.

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sat 31-Oct-09 19:02:54

YABU. They're fun.

DS is 18 mo and he likes them too.

At 10 yo, your DS should probably not be scared by fireworks. It's not like he was the one setting them off.

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sat 31-Oct-09 19:04:09

Although I do believe that people must be sensible with fireworks- they are dangerous in the wrong hands.

Displays are just good and you're lucky to have one so close. We are too, we can see over the whole town from our house so it's fantastic on bonfire night.

deaddei Sat 31-Oct-09 19:06:57

DS hates the constant bang of rockets, which goes on for 20 minutes- so do I.
I consider it an intrusion in my home.

bluejeans Sat 31-Oct-09 19:12:42

Having just posted on the other thread sticking up for halloween I have to say i hate bonfire night! You know evey year there'll be a news story in the morning about an injured child

Once on holiday I was awoken by fireworks at midnight and took me a minute to figure out it was actualy fireworks not gunfire- not been keen since

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Sat 31-Oct-09 19:12:43

It's not every night of the year though is it, it's a couple of months at the very most and a display is a responsible way of allowing people to enjoy fireworks without coming to harm.

You moved there.

If your DS 'hates' the noise of rockets so much maybe he could turn the telly up?

It sounds like you don't like them and you've then put this on to your DS- he's probably picked up on your attitude towards them. It might nice if you both go and watch them together out of the window. Particularly as it will go on regardless of how you feel about them.

deaddei Sat 31-Oct-09 19:19:51

"I wouldn't mind if it was only 1 weekend a year- it's the way it goes on for weeks. Not at the golf course, but around the area.
My dd doesn't give two hoots about it- obviously my ds is more sensitive like me!
As I said, the visual displays are great- it's the gunfire/living in Beirut type noise I hate.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now