Talk

Advanced search

to think that hollowing out pumpkins is infeasibly hard work?

(51 Posts)
Greensleeves Fri 30-Oct-09 18:58:03

I have about 8 pumpkins sitting here waiting to be carved, dh is away and the kids are too little to do the hollowing out donkey work, but thye are very excited about carving faces

the last time I hollowed out a big pumpkin it took hours and I had blisters

am I doing something wrong? are you meant to cook them first or something? or does everyone else just have bionic strength?

GentleOtter Fri 30-Oct-09 18:59:40

Honest to God they are easier than doing a turnip. <feeds the bloody thing to the guinea pig>

Wonderstuff Fri 30-Oct-09 19:00:20

I left it up to dh this year, although we did it last week and had it inside for a few days so now it is quite rotton sad
Some posters on another thread were saying in Scotland they used to hollow out turnips or something and pumpkins are a breeze in comparison.

Why on earth do you have 8?

Wonderstuff Fri 30-Oct-09 19:01:17

LOL @ x post grin

eggontoast Fri 30-Oct-09 19:03:15

Maybe, 8 is a little adventurous?? I always do one and really enjoy it.

I don't think it is a good idea to bother if it makes you unhappy!!!

I love doing mine and make it really special because it is once a year and its gets pride of place with a candle in it as a beacon to trick or treaters to call by!!.

hanaboo Fri 30-Oct-09 19:05:24

oh god, i've gotta do two tomorrow seriously... does anyone know of an easy way then?

wonderingwondering Fri 30-Oct-09 19:05:58

I used a metal ladle this year which was very efficient - got most of the seeds out, bit of stabbing around with a knife to loosen the rest, more ladling. Less than ten minute all in (including two carved faces). Not the most precise bit of pumpkin art you'll ever see, but DC's are happy smile.

madamearcati Fri 30-Oct-09 19:06:59

We are going to do a turnip this year (or swede actually) seems so much more British than a pumpkin and I love the smell of the candle in them and raw turnip is yummy.

Ivykaty44 Fri 30-Oct-09 19:08:06

black marker pen to make the eyes and smile smile

MamaGoblin Fri 30-Oct-09 19:10:13

I've always used a spoon and ended up with an aching arm - this year, I realised an ice-cream scoop would be a better idea! (the sort with a scoop, not the sort with a handle you squeeze) Took 3 minutes. That is my Halloween Tip Of The Day. grin

mawbroon Fri 30-Oct-09 19:16:42

Turnips are hard work.

Pumpkins are cheating shock

southeastastralbeing Fri 30-Oct-09 19:18:03

are they 'ard pumpkins like phil mitchell

notimetotidy Fri 30-Oct-09 20:20:11

I had this conversation with someone a few days ago. Apparently people take all the flesh out of the pumpkin as well as the seeds. I just take the seeds out and scrape enough of the flesh so that all the little stringy bits are gone. Takes about 3 minutes - face a few minutes more. Maybe it's me that's doing it wrong! Anyway, HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE - party, party

paisleyleaf Fri 30-Oct-09 20:28:32

I guess it depends if you want the flesh or not.

notsoteenagemum Fri 30-Oct-09 20:29:39

I do the same as you notimetotidy, I usually make it a bit thinner at the front but theres no point scraping it all round the back.
We always used to do a swede when I was little now that was hard work.

famishedass Fri 30-Oct-09 20:38:36

I brought a pumpkin carving kit for £1 in ASDA. Best £1 I ever spent.

Failing that, an ice cream scoop, like someone else said.

AnnieLobeseder Fri 30-Oct-09 20:45:11

I only scrape the seeds out, not the flesh, but it still seems to take a while. Then when I've done the face, I trim the holes thinner.

One year I scooped out all the flesh too, but it made the pumpkins too thin and they wilted within a day! They last much longer if you leave the flesh in.

Eight is very ambitious, though, I have to say!!

Glitterknickaz Fri 30-Oct-09 20:46:17

YANBU
That's why DH does it grin

Lilyloooohhhh Fri 30-Oct-09 20:48:07

Just scrape out seeds and stringy stuff here too!
Only have one though , dc's wanted one each hmm
Am quite proud of mine this year , not 'ComeOVeneer' effort but pretty good!

paisleyleaf Fri 30-Oct-09 21:01:39

vaseline is apparently good for making it last longer (spread around the inside).

MsHighwater Fri 30-Oct-09 21:36:53

Until today, I had never made a pumpkin lantern in my life before. I do, though, remember attempting to carve out turnips in my childhood (in Scotland) and that was HARD!

I couldn't believe how easy the pumpkin was in comparison grin (wishes there was an actual pumpkin emoticon)

ilikeyoursleeves Fri 30-Oct-09 21:39:29

I carved a pumpkin the other day and thought it was easy! blush

...and it looks fab

FlappyTheBat Fri 30-Oct-09 21:41:41

My dad carved out a pumpkin yesterday with dd1, I think he wishes that we had used them when I was a child.
It used to take him hours to carve out a neep (swede) when I was little.

Pumpkins don't have the same smell though when the candle is lit, neeps were much nicer!

Pixel Fri 30-Oct-09 22:35:38

But I want the flesh so we can make pumpkin and cinnamon muffins. It seems a shame to just waste it.

southeastastralbeing Fri 30-Oct-09 22:38:40

it didn't occur to me to eat the inside [grin[ ew bet it tastes shite anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now