Talk

Advanced search

To think this lady in cafe was BU?

(36 Posts)
BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 15:37:17

I was in a cafe yesterday and the cafe owner took great offence to (and even went and had a word with) three customers sharing a pot of tea for two.

I thought this was a bit mean. OK so the tea wasn't that expensive anyway but surely they would only be getting 2/3 of a cup each anyway, it's not like they magically got more by only paying for a pot of tea for 2.

MaggieOicheSamhain Fri 30-Oct-09 15:39:43

I always do this!! took the children out in the rain today and we shared 2 muffins between three of us and they shared a bottle of orange ! i had two coffees though.

If cafe staff said anything i'd never go back!

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 15:41:04

That's what I thought Maggie - can't be very good for business to go harrassing the customers!

citronella Fri 30-Oct-09 15:43:03

Well they are not about to come back again in a hurry now so he has just done himself a disservice. They are customers whether they had 1 cup of tea and 3 straws or 3 bottles of champagne. What ever happened to the customer is king attitude. Tsk, Tsk.

GhoulsAreLoud Fri 30-Oct-09 15:52:46

He should serve it in mugs and not teapots if he's that bothered.

When I was poor young we used to ask for hot water to refill the teapot and sit there even longer.

mathanxiety Fri 30-Oct-09 15:52:50

This is a case of penny wise, pound foolish if ever there was one.

troutpout Fri 30-Oct-09 15:55:07

I do this all the time with the kids. The man is a fool

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 15:57:09

She was a woman, not a man (not that it matters, just wanted to correct that )

TheDevilEatsBabies Fri 30-Oct-09 15:57:59

??? wtf?

why is it any of his business if they want to share??

as you said, it's not like they're getting more each because they're sharing it!

i could understand if it were an "all-you-can-eat" buffet, but a pot of tea???

shock

TheDevilEatsBabies Fri 30-Oct-09 15:58:26

she

blush

hocuspontas Fri 30-Oct-09 16:00:52

Sounds a bit old-fashioned. We used to buy three meals and ask for 2 extra plates and no one ever batted an eyelid.

The cafe owner probably didn't think. It's not like he was losing custom at that table. Another customer wouldn't have come in and sat at the same table and asked for a pot for one.

troutpout Fri 30-Oct-09 16:01:46

The woman is a fool then smile

troutpout Fri 30-Oct-09 16:02:43

<<whispers>>
'she hocus'

hocuspontas Fri 30-Oct-09 16:05:56

she

<copies out 100 times>

Vivia Fri 30-Oct-09 16:07:44

My partner, myself, and a friend went to an extremely posh and expensive restaurant last night. At pudding time, we ordered one dessert and three spoons. They quite happily gave us this despite a pudding being £10 where they could have made £30 out of us all having separate ones. It was a place where you might not feel comfortable doing that, but they didn't bat an eyelid. The woman in the cafe is ridiculously tight to find tea-sharing for three problematic - it was to be shared anyway!

cakeywakey Fri 30-Oct-09 16:07:56

What a misery! Totally unreasonable.

BertieBotts Fri 30-Oct-09 16:24:15

The way she peered suspiciously out of the door at them and tutted was quite funny. In fact I didn't look round straight away and assumed that it was 3 teenagers sharing one bottle of beer or something and she was suspicious that the other two were underage. Then I asked what she was talking about and she said "Well, they had a pot of tea for two and asked for an extra cup, but the three of them are sharing it! Well, that's a pot of tea for three then, isn't it? It's just not on." I thought about pointing out that they would only have 2/3 of a cup each but decided to just put on my unhelpful-HV-advice face and agree with her.

I have no idea what she expected them to do with the extra cup!

Docbunches Fri 30-Oct-09 16:31:48

I think it's exremely odd and unfriendly behaviour from the Cafe owner.

Some places positively encourage sharing - for example, when my DD recently went to Nando's with a friend, the waiter suggested they share a coke with two straws because they could be endlessly refilled thereby saving them money (which I thought was really sweet, obviously leaving aside any hygiene issues hmm).

Pikelit Fri 30-Oct-09 16:33:32

Here's the theory -

It's the loss of the sale, not the loss of the dosh - 3 people equals tea x 3 @ whatever the cost of tea per person is. Plus that third person is occupying a seat that a paying customer could have sat in.

It's all very small minded and not how I'd like to run a cafe or the best way of attracting customers back but on the other hand, I have witnessed some people go to quite bizarre lengths to stretch out basic refreshments (I'm talking adults here) and it does leave you wondering why if they really can't afford a cup of tea, they've gone into the caff in the first place.

hercules1 Fri 30-Oct-09 16:33:40

ACtually I am going to disagree. I think the customers were being unreasonable. They used a chair and cup of a possible paying customer. Very tight imo. THe cafe owner is entitled to make a living.

thrifty Fri 30-Oct-09 16:36:08

actually I'm going to go against the grain and say its a bit cheeky. If they were sharing 2 cups, then fair enough, but the cafe owner then has to wash the extra cup. You wouldn't go into starbucks and order a extra tall latte then ask them to split it into small 2 cups,would you? you'd get charged for 2 small lattes not 1 tall one. so i dont see the difference really.

p.s. I biased though as i run cafe wink

pigletmania Fri 30-Oct-09 16:36:16

Whats wrong with that! A bit tight but no crime.

hercules1 Fri 30-Oct-09 16:37:17

Noone said it was a crime...

thrifty Fri 30-Oct-09 16:38:17

lol, cross post hurcules.

i think sharing dessert after you have paid for a meal is entirely different however. as is sharing with children.

pigletmania Fri 30-Oct-09 16:38:18

They paid for the tea its up to them what to do with it, that cafe owner is not doing his business any good at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now