Talk

Advanced search

To hate my husband getting s**tfaced?

(22 Posts)
Mooj Fri 30-Oct-09 08:40:36

DH is not a big drinker, and a very caring dad and partner. But about twice a year, usually when extra-stressed by work, he goes on a total bender, turning up at home almost comatose, sometimes needing to be carried in by me and a cab driver. Or else he gets on public transport, falls asleep ending up at some sidings at the other end of the country. It's terrifying, because he doesn't answer his mobile and in that state anything could happen to him. I have to lie to the kids that he's tired if they see him like this. It happened again two days ago, and something in me has finally snapped. It's happened for so many years now the flowers and apologies the next day just won't do any more. AIBU?

girlafraid Fri 30-Oct-09 08:49:09

Hmm, I don't think YABU at all though the fact it's only twice a year is some mitigation

Have you told him how it makes you feel? There's nothing wrong with cutting loose once in a while but it's not OK to leave you to clear up and explain things to his DC

I don't think it would be considered accepatble for a mother to behave like this so it shouldn't be for a father

BooingTheBestICan Fri 30-Oct-09 08:50:00

I would say YAB a teeny bit U. its not every weekend he comes home like that, but then he isnt setting a good example to your dc's about responsible drinking.

I wouldn't get angry with him as then he wont listen to you,i would calmly talk to him & explain how scary it is for you & the dc's when he comes home like that.

My Dad used to come home every Sunday like that,i remember him staggering up the road & he often came home with cuts on him from falling into walls.It was scary to see so you have my sympathies wrt how he comes home to you.

Devendra Fri 30-Oct-09 08:51:35

Twice a year? Give the guy a break. YABU

TombliBOOOOOObs Fri 30-Oct-09 08:52:12

I can understand that you are upset and it is irresponsible of him, but twice a year, I think, means you have to cut him some slack.

I won't say YABU, because I wouldn't be happy about it, but nor do I think you should hold resentment about it.

diddl Fri 30-Oct-09 08:56:28

YANBU.

It may only be twice a year, but it´s still a pathetic state for a grown man to get into,imo!

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 30-Oct-09 09:06:19

YAB a bit U I think.

Can you not come to a compromise that he can go out but has to arrange to stay elsewhere on the nights he does it?

Mooj Fri 30-Oct-09 09:08:21

Thanks v much for everyone's replies - and different opinions!

We've talked it through calmly many times and he always says it won't happen again.

I am cross that it's a bad eg for the kids, but it's not the actual drinking that bothers me really - what most worries me is that he is putting himself in danger. He has suffered injuries in the past and been mugged too when he was liked this.

Mooj Fri 30-Oct-09 09:11:06

alwayslookingforanswers - it's always unplanned unfortunately, but I could give him the idea for next time sad

TheSorcerersApprentice Fri 30-Oct-09 09:13:08

I think YANBU and agree with your last post. Fair enough go drinking from time to time (and as you say its not v often) but to drink so much that you are comatose is dangerous even if you only do it once! As you say he is putting himself in danger and thats not fair on you or the children.

Bathsheba Fri 30-Oct-09 09:15:47

I'm in pretty much that same situation - my DH does it a bit more often than 2 times a year but maybe 6 or 8 times....and I HATE it.

I'd far rather he went off, went out and then stayed out until he was in a position, sometime on Saturday evening, to come home and be a coherent person - I hate having to write off the entire weekend because he has gone out on a Friday night and has got completely wrecked.

He has just told me that 2 weeks today is his boss' birthday and he'll be out that night, and I'm already dreading the pointlessness of the entire weekend, and the fact that I'll have no support to look after the girls that weekend (and by then I'll be 31 weeks pg).

TombliBOOOOOObs Fri 30-Oct-09 09:18:41

Agree with Diddl, that it is a pathetic state to get in to.

I just don't see what can happen tbh. He hasn't changed when he has promised to.

It is unplanned to release whatever stress he builds up, so perhaps that is something that needs addressing. What is happening to build up to these blow outs twice a year.

I think, unless he can find another way to let off steam, which would obviously be preferable to him acting like a drunken fool, then things will stay the same. If everything else is good, then there is not much you can do. can the two of you plan in some relaxing nights out together?

alwayslookingforanswers Fri 30-Oct-09 09:19:43

ahh - if it's not planned I can see the big problem then. obviously it's not healthy/safe - but if he was planning on going on a bender on X night then at least he could make arrangements to sleep on a friends sofa or something such like so you wouldn't be dealing with the immediate (when he gets home) and following day (him being grumpy and feeling like shit).

Nekabu Fri 30-Oct-09 09:21:24

I'd be livid. Putting himself at risk like that (he's lucky he's got away with small injuries and being mugged so far, he's risking a lot worse) and setting an atrocious example (the only way to deal with stress is to drink so much it renders you comatose) is simply not on. Going out for a drink to de-stress is one thing but this is in a different league.

It would appear he cannot self-limit his alcohol intake when stressed so maybe he needs to find another outlet for it.

diddl Fri 30-Oct-09 09:23:04

Yes, it´s whatever else is leading upto it that needs addressing before it gets to such a point.

Mooj Fri 30-Oct-09 09:23:57

Bathsheba you have ALL my sympathy - maybe alwayslookingforanswers suggestion could work for you too.

minxofmancunia Fri 30-Oct-09 09:25:30

yanbu, I don't mind dh getting a bit drunk and having a good time but if he gets into a complete comatose state it's another matter.

Like you say the whole weekends gone then and you're left doing all the childcare. It's unfair of him to behave this way, I did ask my dh if he was planning on going on a bn=ender coukd he stay at a friends house rather than turning u in a state and inflicting his vile hungover nastiness on me and dcs (dh is nasty with a hangover).

You could aks that he does this, or moderates his behaviour just a little bit.

diddl Fri 30-Oct-09 09:27:48

I assume he goes out more than just these times?

So everytime he goes out,you´re left wondering if he´ll come home that night, or have I misunderstood?

Mooj Fri 30-Oct-09 09:33:45

Thanks everybody - yes from years of living with him I can now see when the stress is building up and try to suggest he does more exercise etc. But he's not responsive by that point, then it's only a matter of time before a quick drink after work turns into a major number.

teameric Fri 30-Oct-09 09:38:13

twice a year isn't so bad really, although I can understand why you get pissed off at the state he gets in.
My DH goes out on the odd friday night after work but very rarely gets absolutely rat arsed.
The last time it happened he come in and was covered in cuts and bruises, turns out on the way home on the underground him and his mates thought it would be really funny to try and run down the esculators going up, needless to say he lost his footing and slipped.
He actually thought it was hilarious when he was telling me the story (while still pissed) strangely enough not so funny when he got up the next morning.
He's 35 by the way hmm

IsThatTheTime Fri 30-Oct-09 09:41:59

YANBU
I'm in exactly the same situation, and while the weekend dealing with DCs on my own when I've been lying awake all night worrying is a massive PITA, my greater worry is that Something Really Bad will happen to him, and that's not mitigated by sending him or myself somewhere else. I think it's hugely irresponsible and selfish, even if it's twice a year, but haven't yet found a way of getting this across effectively enough to stop him doing it. Any help gratefully received!

Mooj Fri 30-Oct-09 09:44:17

Diddl - yes he/we have a normal social life. We go out together and separately with friends and he has post work drinks of the usual kind.

But yes, when he gets really pissed I have no idea what state he'll be in/whether he'll get home at all.

minxofmancunia

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now