Talk

Advanced search

to want DD to go and do something while I get some work done??

(10 Posts)
anonymous85 Fri 30-Oct-09 00:57:19

We've been out everyday this week and I just want one day to catchup on the hosue work and tidy the house up. DD just cannot stop talking, wont sit and colour or concentrate on anything I get out for her to do except sit and talk rubbish to the dogs through the door - loud enough so neighbours can hear stuff like you're a poo poo head billy" Billy just said he loves me blah blah or talk to me. Any excuse to talk. It's so frustrating. Like even now she is colouring (I had to eventually send her on time out because she wanted to watch tv instead and before that wanted to talk to the dogs - finally got her to do something productive). I quickly hop on here and she's asking me to come check on her, and talking about how she can't get it between the lines, Mitchell can because he's old...... and goes on and on. Finally get her to go back to doing her colouring and 5 mins latter it's "mummy" and off she goes again. I don't like to tell her to be quiet but it really is annoying after a while. She does need to learn to concentrate a lot more and I need to get some work done. I do put on tv and dvds and they're great but can't all the time. Think I'm going to have to use timeout each time to break the tv dvd cycle.

JanJanJanJan Fri 30-Oct-09 08:33:07

Encourage your DD to help you with the chores. My DD loved cleaning the bathroom sink whilst I did the remaining part of the bathroom and helping sort out who's clothes belonged to who and putting them away. Give them a polishing cloth to dust around too. It gets the job done whilst interacting with the children.

Firawla Fri 30-Oct-09 08:46:12

can you not just let her follow you round and talk but do your housework @ the same time, or get her to help?

littleducks Fri 30-Oct-09 08:48:58

how old is she?

teameric Fri 30-Oct-09 09:04:18

My 3 year old DD is like this, it's virtually impossible to do anything around the house, I've tried putting on a DVD for her, putting out activities, asking her to help but she gets bored within about 5 mins and starts moaning, I've tried ignoring her too but as quick as I tidy she'd making more mess elsewhere hmm

anonymous85 Fri 30-Oct-09 13:57:36

She's 4 in December. I get her to put away some washing and clean her table - wipe it over, cleaning her room is frustrating - have to remind her a million times to keep on task! Only so many things she can do. I do think I've done it to myself though, we're either out most days and when at home I mostly don't have set activites for her. Going to start doing it more I think!

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Fri 30-Oct-09 14:04:15

you want her to do something productive instead of watching tv, so that you can do something productive, but yet you come on here instead?

What's wrong with talking to the dogs anyway? How is that stopping you doing anything (productive or not.. )

And time-out for wanting to watch TV?? hmm

NanaNina Fri 30-Oct-09 20:10:06

Anonymous - this is a 4 year old you are talking about for god's sake - what on earth do you expect - she's behaving like a child! I think your expectations are unrealistic of this little girl and "time out" to break the cycle of dvd/tv - you don't sound like you are very understanding of your child's needs and your expectations of her are way too high - maybe that's the problem!

Liska Fri 30-Oct-09 21:14:16

troll? I hope so, cos if not I am quite upset on behalf of the child....

anonymous85 Sat 31-Oct-09 15:19:53

Ooo yeah I'm a troll and it's child abuse lol

I think it's a good thing encouraging her to cconcentrate on set activites and getting out of the tv rut. I have DN's and they have never been encouraged at all at home and just go around doing whatever and are really coming to head with problems at school. I really don't want that for DD, she has only next year and off to big school, I think it's good to get her onto sit down activities. Today we went outside and we picked leaves in buckets and she pasted them on paper making a big collage and she loved it and I got some quiet time. Yesterday arvo she ended up sitting down doing this 25 pc puzzle and she was really proud she achieved this and did it all by herself - without looking at the box she'd go on smile left it out for daddy to see. I'm def going to stick with it, she watches telly first thing in the morning for and thats going to be it until the arvo on days at home, any ongoing arguements when I turn the box off too bad too sad time out - she could argue forever that girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now