Talk

Advanced search

to be VERY suspicious of an email telling me that I have won 800,000 pounds in the UK National Lottery ?

(13 Posts)
Helena1964 Thu 29-Oct-09 19:40:10

( I'm a new poster here.) I am usually very wary of too-good-to-be-true offers like this. But right now my circumstances are very difficult ( I've received my last unemployment check last week, and I'm trying not to panic. ) So perhaps it's making me desperate enough to want to believe it could be legitimate-yes, I know that scammers prey on people's desperation.
The email was headed UK National Lottery End of Year Promo. It said that my email address was one of three selected. I am a US citizen, living in the US, but subscribe to many UK websites (shamelessly Anglophilic grin ). I don't know a thing about how British lotteries work. They requested info such as nane, address, etc., but nothing suspiciously personal , such as bank account numbers. I plan on doing Internet research on them, but am humbly soliciting the wisdom of Mumsnetters on this matter.hmm
If I don't post back immediately, I am not a troll-honest! I'm on a public computer and have to leave soon.

wicked Thu 29-Oct-09 19:42:29

don't be silly

Mamazonabroomstick Thu 29-Oct-09 19:42:40

The only National british Lottery is called LOTTO.

They don't take email address.

Im afraid its a scam. sorry

differentWitch Thu 29-Oct-09 19:42:49

it's a load of bollocks to put it bluntly.
The only way you can win a lottery is to enter it. if you don't remember entering it, you prpbably didn't therefore how can you have won anything?
PS the uk National Lottery is run by a company called Camelot.

southeastastralbeing Thu 29-Oct-09 19:43:40

scam!

TotallyAndUtterlyPaninied Thu 29-Oct-09 19:53:23

We got the same e-mail a few months ago. Looked up the e-mail address and 'scams' in google and there it popped up.

It's a scam I'm afraid Sad but true. There are a LOT of them around.

theGreatPumpkin Thu 29-Oct-09 19:59:47

Definitely a scam. If you didn't sign up to the Lotto online ticket service and you didn't buy a ticket, you haven't won anything. Sorry, would be nice though wouldn't it.

dilemma456 Thu 29-Oct-09 20:13:07

Message withdrawn

diddl Thu 29-Oct-09 20:16:45

There are no such things as lotteries by email.

And only 800,000.

Blimey, I get them telling me that I´ve won millions!

I can´t believe that people really think that email addresses are magically entered into a lottery-by the lottery fairies?[hmm9

nannynick Thu 29-Oct-09 20:18:09

Most definitely a scam. To win a lottery you have to enter it in the first place and pay the fee, you then get a ticket.

UK Lottery official website - links to Terms and Conditions. Near the bottom of that page you will find the official contact details - there is an e-mail address.

Helena1964 Thu 29-Oct-09 20:39:27

Thanks to everyone for warning me. I think I really knew, deep down, that it was a scam, but the panicky, unemployed part of me led me to lose my senses, for a brief moment. Thanks for the bracing back-to-reality slap in the face-I really needed it!blushblushblush Now that I've just accomplished the achievement of making a fool of myself on my first ever post to Mumsnet, I will crimson facedly shuffle off, and vengefully press the "Report" button in my email box.

differentWitch Thu 29-Oct-09 21:09:34

nah, that'snot making a fool of yourself. it's a sensible question.

ImSoNotTelling Thu 29-Oct-09 21:17:27

You think that's making a fool out of yourself? That's nothing grin

Sorry to hear your finances are up the spout though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now