Talk

Advanced search

to not want to sleep in a 'used' bed?

(56 Posts)
wonderingwondering Thu 29-Oct-09 18:00:33

We've been invited away with friends who are renting a cottage for a week, we're staying mid-week for a couple of nights. They've now said that their uncle and aunt are going to stay for a night earlier in the week - in the bed that we'll be sleeping in. So the sheets will have been slept in before we get there - makes me feel really squeamish.

We're flying so can't take our own bedding, but DH thinks that would look too precious anyway! AIBU?

Fibilou Thu 29-Oct-09 18:06:50

Ewwwww, no I would hate that, skanky ! Imagine that auntie and uncle had got up to the business in that bed, not realising it wouldn't be changed..... yuck. Like having a bath after someone you don't know and not cleaning it inbetween. No no no !

luciemule Thu 29-Oct-09 18:08:18

YANBU - I would feel really ookyy knowing some strangers had slept on the same sheets the day before. I'm funny when MIL tells me she has changed the top and bottom sheet and pillow cases but not the duvet cover. Can you not take a really light weight sheet and a couple of pillow cases and roll them up really small and perhaps forfeit a jumper or something?

throckenholt Thu 29-Oct-09 18:08:35

you could easily fit a sheet in the suitcase with you surely ?

lou33 Thu 29-Oct-09 18:10:16

can you not ask them if they can bring an extra sheet and change it for you when the aunt and uncle have gone?

acebaby Thu 29-Oct-09 18:10:33

I'm not particularly squeamish about this sort of thing, but I understand that many people are so YANBU in my opinion. Couldn't you ask the cottage owners to leave an extra set of bedding? Many cottages that I have stayed in provide spare sets anyhow - presumably in case a child has a wet bed (as almost invariably happens at least once on holiday in my experience).

LaurieScaryCake Thu 29-Oct-09 18:10:35

triple yuk, others pubes and fluids

<boak>

buy something there in Tesco? Ask the cottage owners to provide extra bedding and charge for it?

mustrunmore Thu 29-Oct-09 18:10:53

Yuck shock Even with clean sheets I make dh roll around on them a bit first blush

wonderingwondering Thu 29-Oct-09 18:16:23

I wasn't sure if I was being too precious but I am really perturbed by the idea! Is two singles, so unlikely to be any funny business, but still thinking of dribbled-on pillow cases sad.

We're flying with hand luggage only so sheets not really an option, and we'll be with our friends in the hire car so a surreptitious trip to Tesco also a non-starter.

I think I'll have to mention it to my friends and hope they are not too offended (am now wondering about their bed-changing habits in their spare room....!).

At least I know I'm not being completely unreasonable in mentioning it!

abra1d Thu 29-Oct-09 18:18:31

I'm Mrs Slack-Housewife but even I wouldn't do this to people staying here.

PeterDominic Thu 29-Oct-09 18:19:03

oh fgs you nutter

diddl Thu 29-Oct-09 18:20:13

Is there anyway the others can wash the sheets before you get there?

alarkaspree Thu 29-Oct-09 18:21:23

Do you know that the sheets will be already used? Did they say 'your sheets will be dirty, sorry'. Holiday cottages often have washing machines and spare sets of sheets so I don't see why you should expect that the sheets will not be washed in between visitors.

morningpaper Thu 29-Oct-09 18:21:26

eugh it is gross yes

however I would turn pillowcases inside out and turn sheet over

PurpleCrazyHorse Thu 29-Oct-09 18:23:45

It wouldn't bother me if it was for one night. I guess you either have to sound a bit precious about it and ask for a second set of sheets to be provided or turn the pillows over (or cases inside out)

I would say you're being a little BU just because it's one night and a rented cottage - I'm sure your friends wouldn't recycle bedding at home.

wonderingwondering Thu 29-Oct-09 18:27:52

OK. I think I could live with turned over sheet and duvet and inside-out pillow cases.

There is a chance, I suppose, that they are planning to wash the sheets in between visitors. I was just bit taken aback - the attitude was 'auntie and uncle are passing by before you arrive and we'd got enough beds' and I wanted to shout 'but not enough bedding!!'. But I restrained myself.

abra1d Thu 29-Oct-09 18:32:17

Those are good ideas about turning over.

Rollergirl1 Thu 29-Oct-09 18:40:04

Are you contributing to the payment of hiring the place? If you are I think it is really out of order of them to suddenly invite other people, even if you're not there. If you're not paying then I don't think you really have grounds for saying anything.

Mspontipine Thu 29-Oct-09 22:07:39

Euuu - remember the poo pellets thread??!

TheDevilsKnickers0nMaHead Thu 29-Oct-09 22:10:42

Am I the only one who wouldn't be bothered?

Mspontipine Thu 29-Oct-09 22:10:46

Actually poo crumbs - just for you

paisleyleaf Thu 29-Oct-09 22:12:09

Do you have to travel with just hand luggage?
Or, that is good idea about asking the cottage owners to leave an extra set of bedding.

Haunty27 Thu 29-Oct-09 22:19:06

I'm no Mrs Bucket but sleeping on bedding that someone else had used is an absolute NO NO for me. You could buy some really cheap ones when you get there. Just make a joke of it with your friends if they question it. Or I'd forego luggage space for clean sheets. smile

MitchyInge Thu 29-Oct-09 22:21:37

that wouldn't bother me at all

but I am only a few crusty bits short of being an actual tramp

hatwoman Thu 29-Oct-09 22:27:45

most s-c cottages have a washing machine. and it's entirely possible that the aunt (but not the uncle!) in question will be a considerate tidy bod who would pop the sheet in the washing machine. aunts are like that. (but if not you can do it - as long as you're not arriving late evening you could get it washed and dried before bedtime)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now