Talk

Advanced search

... to feel 'fobbed off' by physiotherapist?

(5 Posts)
humanfraggle Thu 29-Oct-09 11:27:45

Hi all

I've been given a maternity support band by my physiotherapist this morning, as I'm getting bad pains in my coccyx when I've been sitting down for a while.

The physio told me to wear the band when I'm shopping / doing housework, etc, but to take it off when I'm sitting down - which to me defies the point of having it, as the only time I am getting pain is when I've been sitting down.

Has anyone else had any experience of these bands? I wore it for about an hour this morning but it's so uncomfortable - it feels fine around my back but seems to put pressure on my belly and bladder - not good when I already constantly need to pee!

I just feel like I've been a bit fobbed off... hmm

I know I'm not medically trained but the advice she has given me would appear to be more relevant to lower back pain than specifically pain in my 'bum' ! blush

AMumInScotland Thu 29-Oct-09 11:37:33

Perhaps even though the pain happens when you are sitting down, it is caused by strain which is happening while you are up and about?

If she listened to your symptoms and examined you before giving you this advice, then I think you shuld try to do as suggested for a few days at least, then go back if you're not seeing the expacted level of improvement.

curiositykilled Thu 29-Oct-09 11:48:52

hmm

She's probably thinking the pain is SPD and wants you to try the support. You can't wear the support for sitting down as it cuts off the blood supply to the legs. Why would you go for advice and then refuse to even try the thing the phsyio has asked you to try? Seems strange.

SquIDGEyeyeballs Thu 29-Oct-09 12:25:59

Coccyx pain, or coccydynia, is very difficult to manage and treat. Regular painkillers can help but if you're pregnant you're a bit more limited in what you can take. Regular paracetamol might help. You might get some benefit from seeing an osteopath.

The support bands help to keep the pelvis more stable so might reduce movement in the coccyx and lower back and so hopefully limit the pain you're having when you sit. You can't wear them when sitting because they restrict blood flow and as well as being blooming uncomfortable don't offer any real benefit.

If it's hurting your tummy when standing make sure you're wearing it low enough - it should go under your bump and be quite snug around your hips and bottom. It isn't especially comfy and will dig in when sitting.

humanfraggle Thu 29-Oct-09 15:23:27

curiosity I think you're being a bit unfair... I didn't say I refused to take her advice and I will be certainly be trying to use the support band when I'm out and about. I just thought it was a bit strange that what she has told me to try was for the opposite time to when I get the pain!

MuminScotland - good point that it might be being caused when I'm not sitting down but only manifesting istself when I do - pesky pain!

and Squidgy - thanks for the advice... it is only uncomfortable around the tummy when I'm sitting down, but I'll take it off now when I'm sitting - and I'll look into your osteopath suggestion too

Have a nice afternoon, all

x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now