Talk

Advanced search

To think we're back in the 80s

(79 Posts)
AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 18:49:48

Been in town shopping today and I feel like we're back in the 80s.

All shop assistants horrible, no concept of customer service.

Closed down shops, boarded up.

Litter everywhere, people on streets smoking.

Jeggings!

Everyone wearing cheap clothing (me included)

Grey dismal skies

Queues out of the door of primark and pound shops

dizietsma Tue 27-Oct-09 18:51:04

YANBU

I've been feeling the same ever since neon leggings made a comeback.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 20:50:22

too right, and wtf is up with the dayglo socks/gloves coming back (one orange, one green).

I would have confidently predicted that would be a trend that would never return.

What next, t-shirt dresses? Rags in the hair? Those wrinkle tops that used to drive my mum crazy?

MorrisZapp Tue 27-Oct-09 20:56:18

lol, how true!

I took a wander into the shopping centre of my youth last week (Cameron Toll in Edinburgh) and found myself dazed and confused in Dorothy Perkins, in amongst a riot of teal and mustard, chunky beads, batwings and fingerless gloves.

I almost expected my mum to appear, dangly earrings quavering with annoyance, to start an argument about the advisability of tight jeans on chunky thighs.

Have the last 20 years actually happened?

pruneplus2 Tue 27-Oct-09 21:42:53

Cool.

<dusts off leg warmers and Frankie Says Relax t-shirt>

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 21:47:16

Don't talk about leg warmers - new look was full of em. And arm warmers too! (don't ask me what I was doing in new look)

BalloonSlayer Tue 27-Oct-09 21:52:16

Oh I do hope so.

I have been longing for the return of the shaggy perm for two decades.

< rubs hands together and pats extra-large tub of moisturising henna wax in anticipation >

Dlamis Tue 27-Oct-09 21:55:00

And tight jeans.

I remember my mum wouldn't buy me any so i borrowed her sewing machine and took in the ones i already had. One leg was tighter then the other and they took ages to squeeze out of get on and off.

MorrisZapp Tue 27-Oct-09 21:57:06

V05 hot oil at the ready grin

MorrisZapp Tue 27-Oct-09 21:59:10

Aargh tight jeans! We used to 'take them in' too. They looked very bizarre when they started unravelling from the ankle up, giving odd 'skirted ankle' look, not ideal match for Adidas kick trainers if I recall.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 21:59:18

pmsl at Dlamis's different legged jeans [hrgin]

However there is one big difference from the 80s, apparently bodyshop are no longer doing the patchouli scent <shakes fist heavenwards>. But they do still do ananya, dewberry and white musk, hurray

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 21:59:43

whoops grin

pruneplus2 Tue 27-Oct-09 22:25:48

Haha AnyGhoul - I recently bought the Karma Komba shampoo bar from Lush - after a nice shower and hair wash I was snuggled up to my OH and he said "why the hell do you smell like Jitter Juice?" shock

Olifin Tue 27-Oct-09 22:32:31

LOL @ Morriszapp's recollections.

But..erm...I rediscovered V05 Hot oil some time ago and am still using it, without shame.

Olifin Tue 27-Oct-09 22:34:36

What is Jitter Juice please?

I am hopeful that the Bodyshop will bring back Yukka shampoo.

busybutterfly Tue 27-Oct-09 22:36:19

YANBU - but it's FAB! Went to see Fame at local theatre tonight and am humming the song constantly grin

TrickOrTrefusis Tue 27-Oct-09 22:38:57

I was looking at the music page of an online newspaper yesterday. The three leading articles concerned Spandau Ballet, Michael Jackson and Frankie Goes To Hollywood shock.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 22:40:14

Ah Bruno, our love could never be - because you were fictional.

pruneplus2 Tue 27-Oct-09 22:40:51

Not sure if its a regional thing Olifin - its what everyone around here used to call patchouli oil.

"Jitter" being a name for metallers/goths/anyone with long hair and/or "unconventional" looks and heavy on the black eyeliner.

We used to walk through town in groups of many ponging of it in our teens - wearing the obligatory black clothing/band tshirts/silver jewellery.

Olifin Tue 27-Oct-09 22:50:42

Ahhh..patchouli; maybe a regional name then. I think there was a fashion for it down here too amongst those groups.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 23:03:13

We had goths, rockers and townies in my neck of the woods.

So where can you get patchouli now? I have a nostalgic yearning for some!

pruneplus2 Tue 27-Oct-09 23:10:46

Any good aromatherapy stockist will sell patchouli oil.

We used to buy ours at a tiny little shop that sold loads of candles/crystals/joss sticks etc...

Wonder if its still there? <dreamy reminiscing smiley>

SquIDGEyeyeballs Tue 27-Oct-09 23:17:26

I am tempted to get a shaggy perm like this and buy a diffuser.

I'll have no problem buying the leggings, pixie boots and plastic pastel jewellery.

AnyGhoulKno Tue 27-Oct-09 23:20:39

every girl at my school

busybutterfly Tue 27-Oct-09 23:27:51

Christ she looks like she should be in Neighbours grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now