Talk

Advanced search

To discourage DD (8) from asking for a microphone for her birthday

(13 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Tue 27-Oct-09 18:36:34

She has the loudest voice ever, only has to give you a cheery greeting for cows in fields four miles away to think it's milking time.

Her singing is coming on, but...

Today she has decided she wants a fecking microphone.

She is ardently googling, and her birthday is coming up.

What'll I do?

<weeps>

<looks for cotton wool>

UniS Tue 27-Oct-09 18:43:52

give her a mic, but no cable, no amp and no speaker... she can have those one at a time over the next 3 birthdays.

overmydeadbody Tue 27-Oct-09 18:45:20

How about just not buying it for her? Or saying "no"?

BalloonSlayer Tue 27-Oct-09 18:47:25

I have told her I don't understand the technology of them (true) and whether they will work with her crappy little keyboard (unlikely).

Fingers crossed this will be enough.

But she will get birthday money. Oh yes.

BalloonSlayer Tue 27-Oct-09 18:49:36

If I say "no," which I am quite prepared to do BTW, I will get asked "why?"

If I say "Because your singing is so lovely I don't want to share it," do you think she will swallow it?

overmydeadbody Tue 27-Oct-09 19:09:18

lol maybe, maybe not.

Just tell her you don't like noisy electrical gadgets.

BalloonSlayer Tue 27-Oct-09 19:58:17

I could of course use your nickname...

PlumBumMum Tue 27-Oct-09 20:02:43

Oh no my dd got sing it 2 years ago for christmas, I it got very competitive, fighting over mics

Got fed up singing High School Musical though must tell her she wants ABBA this yeargrin

cakeywakey Tue 27-Oct-09 20:24:27

Sounds like she doesn't need any amplification grin Can you get her a mike that doesn't amplify?

Or ask her to write out list of things that she would like for her birthday and Christmas on the understanding that, just because it's on the list, doesn't mean she's going to get it?

TrickOrNinks Tue 27-Oct-09 20:32:10

YANBU grin I have one of those!

Um, Karaoke DVDs which are only to be used in the privacy of her room with the door kicked shut, Grease and HSM?

BalloonSlayer Tue 27-Oct-09 21:11:30

DH said: don't fret, there are probably microphones nowadays that make the voice quieter...

I am hoping he is right. grin

cloelia Tue 27-Oct-09 22:00:20

i don't think it's a bad present for an 8 year old. Can have fun sharing songs with friends or siblings; might encourage playing instruments or reading music; might turn up on x factor in eight years time; seriously i think it is a potentially creative and entertaining pastime.

plantsitter Tue 27-Oct-09 22:39:57

A microphone and some huge sound-proof head phones, which are, after all, what proper pop stars use?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now