Talk

Advanced search

to not let the meter reader in?

(17 Posts)
louii Tue 27-Oct-09 11:00:10

I arrived home with my shopping and the meter reader man was at my door.

Now i generally feel uncomfortable letting them into my house if i am on my own, as we live in an upstairs flat and he would have to come in, come upstairs and into the bedroom where the electricity meter is.

The house was also a bit untidy.blush

I said to the man, "i would prefer you didn't coem in and i will phone the reading in" and he was very rude in return and said " do i look that dodgy, sure what do you think I am gong to do to you, etc"

I ended up shutting the door on him.

So was i being unreasonable?

MenWhoStareAtMe Tue 27-Oct-09 11:01:23

yanbu and he was rude and aggressive.

curiositykilled Tue 27-Oct-09 11:01:47

Nope, he could see you were hassled and just on your way in, he sounds like an arse. Maybe he was just having a bad day.

Disenchanted3 Tue 27-Oct-09 11:02:39

No, YANBU, You don't ever have to let any of these people into your home if you don't want to.

I would ring and complain about him if he was pressuring you to let him in after you told him no.

IneedacleanerIamalazyslattern Tue 27-Oct-09 11:04:01

YANBU, there was one particular one that used to read my meter in my old house who was horrid refused him entry next time he came back.

Another guy started doing it told him of my experiences with other guy he was lovely said he understood and that the other man no longer worked for the company there had been other complaints etc.

TBH your guy was rude and doesn't make you want to invite him in and to me just makes you feel more uncomfortable.

KimiTheThreadSlayingAxeKiller Tue 27-Oct-09 11:05:10

Poor sod was only doing his job, YABU and rude not him

Vallhala Tue 27-Oct-09 11:06:24

YANBU. I may be mistaken but I seem to recall that these guys get paid according to the number of meters read rather than a flat wage. This may explain but will never excuse his rude insistance.

I would have told him where to go!

Astrid28 Tue 27-Oct-09 11:08:19

YANBU - Meter readers piss me off.

Mine always roll up at 7am. I don't really like looking at myself at that hour all bra less with morning breath, let alone a strange man watching over me as I heave the TV out of the way of the meter cupboard.

Surely they could visit after 9am, if I'm still braless by then I accept full responsibility.

diddl Tue 27-Oct-09 11:08:52

YANBU.

Why should we have to let strangers uninvited into our houses?

Disenchanted3 Tue 27-Oct-09 11:09:51

And why don't they ever make an APPOINTMENT?? rather than just turning up??

louii Tue 27-Oct-09 11:18:14

Yes, if they made an appointment I would have no problem, sometimes its just not convenient.

I am also pregnant and feeling slightly more vulnerable than usual so inviting a strange man upstairs to my bedroom just seemed like not a good plan to me.

I also was not rude to him, i actually apologised for not letting him in.

IMoveTheStarsForNoOne Tue 27-Oct-09 11:21:07

YANBU - you should complain.

cornsilk Tue 27-Oct-09 11:24:17

I also hate them coming but they've never been rude to me. It's so embarrassing having to empty out the cupboard under the stairs so he can actually see the thing. blush

goryminx Tue 27-Oct-09 11:28:12

I never let them in - 1 meter is in the crap cupboard, the other is behind sofa, in another crap cupboard, which would involve moving sofa, removing toys, xmas stuff etc to get to it.

And they never wipe their feet angry

Firawla Tue 27-Oct-09 11:55:35

yanbu its your choice to have him in or not.
if mine was all the way upstairs and through a bedroom i'd not be keen either

prettyfly1 Tue 27-Oct-09 13:27:56

i had one be rude to me the other day - he told me i HAD to let him in. Grrrr.

BlackYellowRed Tue 27-Oct-09 13:33:18

YANBU I don't let them in anymore and put reading through online. They get paid for every reading they do apparently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now