Talk

Advanced search

to not want yucky fishy burps after taking omega 3 capsules?

(18 Posts)
Pluginbaby Tue 27-Oct-09 10:38:39

Are there any fish oil supplements out there without this horrid side effect? Please!

GrimmaTheNome Tue 27-Oct-09 10:41:54

Just take a garlic capsule straight after and you won't notice the fish grin

I'm currently consuming some supposedly-strawberry eye-q capsules which were meant for DD but she won't take - they taste disgusting if chewed - but they seem OK if swallowed, haven't noticed fish burps.

AbricotsSecs Tue 27-Oct-09 10:43:31

Message withdrawn

GwarchodwrPlant Tue 27-Oct-09 10:44:22

Or take and iron tablet and they will taste ironic. grin I think you will just have to put up, learn to like it or stop taking them I'm afraid!

Pluginbaby Tue 27-Oct-09 10:45:22

Ah I take them too so must already be having ironic fish burps yum!

AbricotsSecs Tue 27-Oct-09 10:56:41

Message withdrawn

Pluginbaby Tue 27-Oct-09 11:03:01

Ta, I shall pop them in the freezer, deffo want the fish ones though, the plant ones are supposedly not as effective.

Dislike oily fish so cheating by taking the tablets.

Jux Tue 27-Oct-09 11:03:10

Where is the Omega 3 from? It will say on teh packet whether it is from marine products or something else. You may not need to take them at all (if they're not from marine products then you'll have wasted your money and can bin them).

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Tue 27-Oct-09 11:09:37

I take these - no fish required

marenmj Tue 27-Oct-09 14:38:49

I took a variety while pg that supposedly had parsley to counteract the fish-burps. I'm BF so still take them.

No fish-burps.

TBH, the 'pregnacare' multi-vit causes more vile burps than the omega3 one did.

Pluginbaby Tue 27-Oct-09 14:46:36

mmm will have to investigate at Boots/Holland and barratt and try a different fishy treat!

ImSoNotTelling Tue 27-Oct-09 14:47:18

Where do they get the fish oil from I wonder. Given the fuss about sustainable fishing and so on...

marenmj Wed 28-Oct-09 11:40:07

According to Wikipedia, about 1/4 of the fish oils come from Peru, Chile, and Morocco.

I was curious so I went looking around. Apparently omega3 supplements from fish oils are potentially dangerous due to the amount of heavy metal toxins in the oils. Weird fact #2 is that fish don't actually synthesize the fatty acids but get them from the plankton etc in their diet - so the fish themselves aren't so much the source as a way of concentrating the fatty acids.

It's a fascinating read.

I don't know what it means for overfishing, but it does give me some hope wrt veg sources.

Tee2072 Wed 28-Oct-09 11:42:56

Use the kind made from Flaxseed. Holland and Barrett have it.

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Wed 28-Oct-09 11:46:04

see above - the ones i take are from algae, not fish, so completely sustainable. The theory being that it's the algae where the fish get it from, so why not just eat the algae derivative..

www.v-pure.com

Stayingscarygirl Wed 28-Oct-09 12:51:24

Tee - I heard something on Radio 4 yesterday, discussing the differences between omega3 from fish oils and from plant sources. The expert was saying that it is long-chain omega3s that are the ones we need, and the ones in flaxseed and other plant sources are short chain ones, and therefore useless.

They did mention algae-derived omega3 as being an option, when asked what alternatives there were for vegetarians.

I've been taking the vegetarian omega3s because I hated the fishy burps too, but will have to go back to them and try freezing them - though the risk is that if they are out of sight, they will definitely be out of mind for me.

My memory is dreadful - so I clearly need more omega3, but I forget to take it because my memory is so dreadful........blush

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Wed 28-Oct-09 13:03:02

I don't work for them or anything! but it's long chain omega3 in the v-pure ones. I will not mention them again

Stayingscarygirl Wed 28-Oct-09 13:39:51

Thanks PartOfTheHumphreysGroup - I will definitely look at them, as I would rather not take the fishy ones - many thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now