Talk

Advanced search

To not turn my answer phone on?

(9 Posts)

My mum thinks I am. She's moaning that she can't get hold of me when she wants me. Well she can, I have a mobile. But she chooses not to ring me on that, thinks its too expensive.

Everyone else if I'm out will ring on my mobile.

The last thing I want when I get back from work is to have to listen to loads of messages, mainly from people/companies I don't want to talk to and then have to ring them back.

Oh, and my mum never has her mobile phone switched on. She says its for her convenience not other peoples'. Which has caused problems before when she's had my DD with her and I haven't been able to get hold of her. But I've never had a go at her about it even though its irritating.

vvvodka Tue 27-Oct-09 10:04:51

i NEVER used to phone people on their mobile phones. it IS too expensive. then, however, i got a contract phone with a gazillion free minutes and suddenly our landline bill went down to the line rental, plus any international calls we make. why? because phoning mobiles on a contract phone is free. lol, it was like an epiphany for me.

i understand exactly what your mother is saying. and i even agree with her about not turning her mobile phone on. however, it might be an idea for her to have it on if she is babysitting. if you want to moan at your mom, feel free to do so, after all,if you cant moan at your mom, then who can you moan at?

I can understand her not ringing on my mobile, but she could turn her mobile on and send a 5p text asking me to ring her. She knows how to text. Grrrrrrrrr.

I only work 3 days a week and I'm in the house the rest of the time 95%. Its not like I'm out all the time and that hard to get hold of.

Firawla Tue 27-Oct-09 11:48:31

yanbu if she doesnt want to ring your mob then how is she in a position to complain she couldnt get hold of you? more like could, but didnt want to pay so didnt... i would find that annoying too

WebDude Tue 27-Oct-09 16:19:39

YANBU. If she can text for 5p then she could either put over the query at the time, or say "please ring when you can..." leaving you the option to ring when it is most convenient to you.

In the past I've even turned on "incoming call barring" on my landline, so no-one could ring me. That really annoyed a few businesses who wanted to reach me smile

I hate 1571 (money grabber, as it takes call when line is engaged).

PuppyMonkey Tue 27-Oct-09 16:23:35

Why have you even got an answerphone at home then?

I have a system with DP where I ring him on his mobile from home and when he sees it's me, he'll hang up and ring me straight back. He's got 100,000 free minutes a month type thing. Could you suggest that to your mum?

It came with the phone.

PuppyMonkey Tue 27-Oct-09 16:52:14

Ah right. You could tell her it's broken then!

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 27-Oct-09 16:57:24

I don't have an answerphone at home at all for the same reason as OP.

Webdude - I had no idea you could bar incoming calls. I might do that, I never answer the housephone. If people ever want to get hold of me they call the mobile. I only have the landline plugged in for when I want to make international calls.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now