Talk

Advanced search

to let my newly walking dd to wander far far away?

(112 Posts)
StarlightMcKenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:24:45

Message withdrawn

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:31:17

YANBU to let her wander, but I don't think I'd be surprised to get such comments.

In fact, I think it's good that so many were looking out for her.

MmeGoblindt Mon 26-Oct-09 22:33:51

ooooooooooooooooh, I hate this.

The paedophile on every corner thing.

Aside from anything else, why scare the bezeezus out of the bairn with stories of bad men taking her away.

BiteOfFun Mon 26-Oct-09 22:34:41

If she is just wandering though, could you grab her quickly enough if she did amble out of sight into a shop etc, or would that mean you were leaving your other child to sprint over? I am not too precious about kiddie stuff, but it strikes me that a shopping centre is a bit dodgy for this kind of wandering. I'd be happier at the park or something.

MaryMotherOfHellFire Mon 26-Oct-09 22:35:52

Is this AIBU to let my daughter wander a bit, or Are other people unreasonable to say "watch out for the paedos".

Cos that's two different things.

Anyway. YANBU and they're just being a bit odd. But it's good of them to watch out for her.

smokinaces Mon 26-Oct-09 22:35:53

we had this the other day. At a very quiet shopping centre, DS2 (19m) was walking about 50yrds, maybe 100 in front of us - literally like 3 other people in the centre. Then 2 women came out of a shop and tried grabbing him to take him to security "as he wasnt with anyone". His brother was about 3 steps ahead of him, and chatting to him the whole time!

I think people are so paranoid nowadays. But then high profile cases such as the Bulger case stick in peoples minds and make people panic. I would prefer someone made sure my son was safe, as opposed to ignoring him if he did get lost IYSWIM?

though shouting about abductions 4 times in 15 minutes is a little too much!

BiteOfFun Mon 26-Oct-09 22:36:04

Not because of paedos though (even though my nearest shopping centre is where James Bulger was snatched), but more a general safety thing.

MmeGoblindt Mon 26-Oct-09 22:38:27

Ok, the general safety thing I can understnad.

Even then, I would look around first to see where the mum was sitting before diving in.

Rollmops Mon 26-Oct-09 22:38:51

How far is 'far'? I
What would you have done if a large group of chattering teens or similar/very large person/etc. would have come between her and you and during that 5 seconds, she had wondered off, out of your sight?
YABU.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:43:22

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 22:46:52

Message withdrawn

slowreadingprogress Mon 26-Oct-09 22:58:33

well I think there's a time and place for everything, and letting her wander in a cafe in a shopping centre is not a good time imo

I hate to see this personally, not because I think there is a paedo on every corner just because it's inappropriate - I've nearly tripped over ankle-biters with hot coffee on my tray numerous times

Also, to be brutally frank, our little darlings while endlessly fascinating to us are possibly not so endlessly fascinating to others when they're wandering round tables and wiping their snot on their sleeves while staring at people....I'll never have it said about my ds but I guess it is possible they could be a little annoying unwelcome
grin

It's just not a good idea. Sit and entertain her for as long as she will bear it then you go, imo

Let her wander freely at the rec or the park

Hassled Mon 26-Oct-09 22:59:18

I dunno - I do see what you're saying, but you have to see it from the others' POV as well. And parents do take their eyes off the ball sometimes - I certainly have enough times. Once I found a toddler about to cross a ring road - turned out (eventually) that she'd got out of the garden while the father was hanging out the washing, and was a good 100m from home.

A couple of times I've seen what appears to be a rogue toddler unaccompanied in a shopping centre or street; I haven't grabbed them and marched off to security but I have watched closely until I was happy they were with someone. And if you were sitting down that would have been harder to spot. I think you were fair enough - but then so were the do-gooders, IYSWIM .

Plonker Mon 26-Oct-09 23:05:44

Well, I think it's lovely that in todays world so many people gave enough of a shit to care about your dd.

So, for that reason alone, YABU ...

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 26-Oct-09 23:07:01

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 26-Oct-09 23:09:56

Message withdrawn

paisleyleaf Mon 26-Oct-09 23:11:29

The other people around can't just 'know' that you're over at the cafe. It's unfair to them to make them feel responsible for your toddler.

DougalDoneGood Mon 26-Oct-09 23:11:29

The problem is that so often tiny toddlers are left to wander unsupervised. I couldn't walk past a baby I thought was alone. I've been followed by a tiny toddler before out of a shopping centre. I took him back inside and back to his mother who hadn't even noticed he'd gone!

So I don't blame people for being concerned about your DD, but I guess YANBU if you're happy you're supervising her well enough.

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 23:12:19

Yes, shineon has it.

Starlight, you do come across as just a teensy bit provocative on this one grin

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 26-Oct-09 23:13:46

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 23:17:10

Message withdrawn

FluffyPumpkins Mon 26-Oct-09 23:17:10

i HATE it when people say that.
i had that the other day when dd was skipping 50m infront of me on way to shop's

she was infront of me, How could i not be watching her FFS...

Nosey Feckers imo..

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 23:19:04

Message withdrawn

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 26-Oct-09 23:21:11

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 26-Oct-09 23:28:25

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now