Talk

Advanced search

...to hate the phrase 'Stay at Home Mum'

(12 Posts)
InMyLittleHead Mon 26-Oct-09 22:16:59

OK - I am not in any way saying that I hate SAHMs, or think it isn't a valid thing to do. I just hate the phrase.

It's the 'stay at home' bit. It implies that women who choose to look after their children instead of working are stuck solely in the domestic sphere and isolated from the 'real world', which isn't true. I think it's particularly the word 'stay' which implies that women's 'normal' place is in the home, so mums who stay at home are simply, passively, fulfilling their natural role. But I think it is an active decision that women make.

Am I the only person who has a slight niggle with the term?

onadietcokebreak Mon 26-Oct-09 22:18:18

Yep I hate it as much as I do Full time mum.....

Vallhala Mon 26-Oct-09 22:26:35

Its not my favourite expression but far better than 'housewife'. I have yet to meet a woman who is married to a goddamn house!

I can't immediately think of any alternatives which I do like. Do you have any suggestions, InMyLittleHead?

Ronaldinhio Mon 26-Oct-09 22:28:50

Stay at home is more correct than full time mum surely

but both shit YANBU

Firawla Mon 26-Oct-09 22:29:52

i see your point as it kind of implies we would never go out of the house, but i cant think of many other alternatives to use, and does not really bother me too much

jasper Mon 26-Oct-09 22:32:28

It's a pretty clumsy phrase, but does not really bother me.
Can't we invent a better one ? smile

NoseyNooNoo Mon 26-Oct-09 22:36:04

There are worse things to worry about...

roisin Mon 26-Oct-09 22:45:04

I think it's OK tbh. I was a SAHM for many years, now WOHM. I didn't/don't object to either name/descriptor.

InMyLittleHead Mon 26-Oct-09 22:56:17

I admit that I may be a bit of a semantic pedant, but it still niggles.

Not sure about other labels - full time mum is a bit insulting to WOHMs, who are also mums all the time. Housewife is obviously ridiculous. Hmm...

MrsThePoint Mon 26-Oct-09 23:06:11

Would unemployed, in terms of not earning an income, be more insulting than stay-at-home?

BoneYard Mon 26-Oct-09 23:09:47

Domestic Engineer wink shock

B
O
A
K

InMyLittleHead Mon 26-Oct-09 23:13:56

Lol at domestic engineer.

Unemployed is a bit insulting, but the opposite is employed - and who, exactly, are they employed by?

Getting technical now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now