Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to moan at nursery and start sending in daily rations of nappies??

(52 Posts)
smokinaces Mon 26-Oct-09 21:44:14

Picked DS2 up from nursery tonight and saw NAPPIES written in large letters on his day planner. Basically meaning they need more brought in.

He goes 2 times a week. (though 2 weeks ago was only in for 1 day) and I took a pack of 44 nappies in only 3 weeks ago. I double checked today I they do 3 changes a day (breakfast, lunch, dinner) although I very often drop him off at 8am saying to them not to bother changing him till lunch as he's literally had a clean one on at 7.55 (we're a 2 minute drive).

AIBU to moan at them that they've gone through 44 nappies supposedly for my son in just 4 or 5 days? (he was in someone elses today as they had run out) Surely 44 nappies /3 changes a day should give me 14 days so 7 weeks?!

I've told them I'm not keeping any stock at the nursery anymore and will send 4 nappies in in his rucksack everyday and they'd have to go to his peg before changing him. The NN was quite shocked I was questionning all this and was trying to assure me they would only have been used by him (he's the only one in Sainsburys purple ones apparently) but I'm a bit pissed off that I pay enough in fees and have to supply my own nappies anyway, let alone seeming to supply other children too! There is no way surely they could have gone through that many nappies in those short days - DS2 is 19m and routine in his poo etc and I rarely change him mroe than 3 times a day at home.

So AIBU to not give them "stocks" for their changing room and to have moaned at them?

BiteOfFun Mon 26-Oct-09 21:47:32

I'm sure they must have been using them for other children at that rate- it would piss me off too.

MonsterousNasalPustule Mon 26-Oct-09 21:48:20

Blimey, 44 gone already.

Nope your not being unreasonabe at all, bet his are used at the morning/midday change so no one goes home in his nappies and WTF weren't you told he was running low when they had at least a days supple in hand for him!!

elvislives Mon 26-Oct-09 21:50:11

I've been asked for more nappies only days after providing them, and when queried they've found the new pack in a different cupboard. Have you asked them where the last pack you took in is?

hf128219 Mon 26-Oct-09 21:50:14

The maths just don't add up do they! I have no objection to taking nappies in in bulk but then my dd goes full time.

I would have been tempted to have kept a log for a couple of weeks and produce the evidence!

smokinaces Mon 26-Oct-09 21:56:13

I did ask where the pack was - his key worker assured me she emptied the last of them in herself. But then she also said "today" - but he came home in a pampers when he had Sainsburys ones so I know somethings not adding up.

I know they went in on Tuesday 6th as it was the week before our holiday. He was in on the 6th, then the 12th, last Monday/Tuesday and today. And they're all gone. Even if you take into account "paying back" other kids he had to borrow from (like today) its surely not 44 nappies??

I'm quite miffed, and have moaned at the key worker and really dont want to send in another bulk lot (I'm a single mum and really cant afford to buy loads) so think I'll just pack his bag every morning with nappies for that day. I have to pack his drink/snacks anyway so its no real hassle, unless I forget.

I sent a new pack of wet wipes in today so lets see how long they last......

Alibooobaandthe40phantoms Mon 26-Oct-09 21:59:10

You have to send in wipes?? shock

hf128219 Mon 26-Oct-09 21:59:36

Keep a log - I mean it! I know you say it's not a hassle to take nappies in on a daily basis - but why should you?

BiteOfFun Mon 26-Oct-09 22:01:00

I would expect a note back that he had had galloping diarrhoea for that number of nappies.

smokinaces Mon 26-Oct-09 22:03:23

Yup Ali, we have to provide our own nappies and wipes. And I provide a lot of DS2's snacks, but thats mainly my choice as he's on an action plan and I find time outs with snacks work at home and am trying to encourage a stability like that at nursery too.

I think I will mention it again tomorrow morning hf. I cant get another bulk pack overnight anyway, so will just mention again that I've done the maths and am unhappy. there is another boy in his room with an almost identical name and we often get clothes mixed up - I wonder whether the nappies at some point got used for him.

Meglet Mon 26-Oct-09 22:03:40

yanbu. My ds's nursery doesn't go through his nappies that fast and he is always 'returned' to me in the correct brand + size. Mind you, nursery do have a knack of making packets of wipes last - they take ages to get through a pack (he is always clean & fresh), I use hundreds of the things blush.

Flibbertyjibbet Mon 26-Oct-09 22:04:32

The nursery we used included nappies and wipes in the daily price. Only very cheap nappies, but they changed them quite often. It was one of the deciding factors for me when choosing a nursery.
SIL worked in a very expensive nursery 25 miles from us, they charged £10 a day more than our nursery, nappies and wipes were not included, and if a child needed more nappies one day than the parents provided, they were charged!!!
BUT

to the op, SIL went back after maternity leave and took her child to nursery with her (on a reduced rate). She told dp that she used to put other children's nappies on her own baby cos 'they won't notice - who counts nappies in and out every day?'

Who indeed... only everyone on mumsnet grin

hf128219 Mon 26-Oct-09 22:05:14

Maybe you could secretly mark each nappy with a Laundry pen - 1, 2, 3 etc!

pigletmania Mon 26-Oct-09 22:05:31

The amount nurseries charge they should provide nappies and wipes imo shock Only 4 changes a day, gosh thats not a lot, my dd would do a poo i would change her and she would then proceed to do another one. Also if she had been drinking a lot she would need a change of nappy within a 1.5 -2 hour period, you are hardly going to leave them in a wet or dirty nappy, if they need a change they need a change even if it goes past the ops 4 a day. When my dd was teething i would go through about 7 dirty nappies a day.

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:07:07

Write his name on each nappy in thick felt pen.

In BIG writing.

pigletmania Mon 26-Oct-09 22:07:30

you have to provide drinks and snacks too shock what exactly does this nursery provide! Is it a pre school for only a few hours a day or a proper day nursery btw

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:08:33

No need to do it secretly, better to make it obvious I think.

Why bother wasting energy trying to catch them out? Just take steps to make sure it can't happen.

hf128219 Mon 26-Oct-09 22:09:52

It can be impratical for a nursery to provide nappies - some parents use cloth, some use disposable, some use green - and so on.

RumourOfAHurricane Mon 26-Oct-09 22:10:06

Message withdrawn

onadietcokebreak Mon 26-Oct-09 22:10:31

YANBU. I would be extremely pissed off. Nappies are expensive and although little mix up happened not on that grand a scale.

Send in daily and have a word with manager.

Personally I think the fact you have to send wipes in is digusting.

My nursery mark childs initials on front band....it works!

smokinaces Mon 26-Oct-09 22:10:36

piglet, he's 19mo and honestly doesnt go through that many nappies. He wakes with a dirty one (or does one as soon as he gets up) so thats 1 change. I then change him at lunchtime (2) and then at dinner (admit sometimes forget, bad mummy but nursery do this one when he's there) (3) and then bed (4). In the baby room he was changed more often (every 2 hours I think?) but in this room its the same as at home, I double checked.

He's a very light wetter and one a day pooer, so I know he doesnt need changing more than that.

I do agree, I think nurseries should provide nappies and wipes - but I love the nursery and picked it over the other (imo rubbish) in my area so took that choice a year ago. the perks of this nursery outweigh the price IMO, but this just annoyed me!

pigletmania Mon 26-Oct-09 22:11:52

my goodness shineone thats brill price some charge about £20 more and does provide those things, shocking absolutely shocking shockshockshock

colditz Mon 26-Oct-09 22:12:23

The NN is lying. Those nappies have been dipped into by rushed staff, grabbing the nearest nappy to change a bum.

Seriously, he gets 9 or 10 Bottom changes a day? I don't think so.

I solved this by writing ds2's name in permanent marker on every single nappy, and only sending 4 per day. Petty but effective.

pigletmania Mon 26-Oct-09 22:12:49

i meant and do not provide the basics that you would expect for such extortionate price.

smokinaces Mon 26-Oct-09 22:13:28

Oh, and his day rate does include his meals and nursery snacks (and drinks) - but I choose to send in extra things. The snacks I provide are little things that he is used to at home - he's having a bit of a bad time at the moment behaviour wise and I'm trying to send in familiar things for him. I'm happy with doing this, it was my choice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now