Talk

Advanced search

to expect a day nursery to change a nappy if a child is with them for 3.5 hours?

(11 Posts)
ShouldntButcherThemWithRecords Mon 26-Oct-09 21:21:31

I need a general consensus of opinion here.

DD has recently turned three, and has just had a week absent from nursery with a suspected UTI.

I took her in after lunchtime today (just before 1:30pm) and picked her up at 5pm. We live 15 miles away from the nursery, and getting there involves a train journey, a cycle journey and a walk. Nursery are aware of this and so it should be safe to assume that she hasn't arrived at nursery with a perfectly fresh nappy iyswim?

We had a nappy emergency whilst out at the weekend and so I can be 100% sure that she came home in the same nappy that I sent her in (different brand to what I send in and what they use as spares if they run out).

I didn't change her whilst commuting as I wrongly assumed that she'd have been changed at nursery, meaning that she was in the same nappy for around 7 hours (whilst still on antibiotics for UTI).

AIBU to be both annoyed at the nursery and concerned that this isn't a one off?

Issy2008 Mon 26-Oct-09 21:25:18

Doesn't your nursery provide a summary of what your DD did during the day, what she ate, when she was changed etc? I think she should most definitely ben changed. My DD is changed at least 4 times during her day at nursery. If she wasn't, I would be speaking to the staff. It's like any other service you pay for- if you're not happy speak to the service providers.

ShouldntButcherThemWithRecords Mon 26-Oct-09 21:26:32

We have the what she did, what she ate but changing isn't generally mentioned hmm

SCARYspicemonster Mon 26-Oct-09 21:28:29

My DS goes to a CM but on the days he goes 1/2 days, I drop him off at 8-8.30 and collect him at 12.30 and he has always been changed. And I only live 5 mins away.

I'd be a bit annoyed and definitely have a word. It may have been a one off (let's hope)

HellBent Mon 26-Oct-09 21:29:06

Did she maybe ask to use the toilet there? I think you should have let them know specifically what you wanted and not just assumed tbh.

DD had a really bad nappy rash on her bum and my nursery used a different change mat, cleaning product and special cream compared to the other kids til it was completely healed and they kept it up until she was trained. I was very specific about what I wanted done though.

If you are not happy then get a new nursery, also one that is closer as well, 3 hours travel seems loads!

PartOfTheHumphreysGroup Mon 26-Oct-09 21:38:15

I think yabu. What's the problem exactly? I certainly leave dd in a nappy for longer than 3.5 hours. Do you really think the staff remember your journey times and compute the likely nappy on time?! Its not like she had done a poo or anything!

Not sure what the relevance of the uti is, I'm fairly sure they are not caused by not changing a nappy every time they do a wee.

bitofadramaqueen Mon 26-Oct-09 21:47:16

I think YAB a wee bit U. I'd find out what the nappy changing schedule is and if you're not happy ask for the frequency to be increased. My DS gets an extra nappy change just before pick up time at my request so it does him for the commute home, teatime etc.

ShouldntButcherThemWithRecords Mon 26-Oct-09 21:51:27

Ok, so I'm probably BU then shockwink

Obviously need more sleep...

bitofadramaqueen Mon 26-Oct-09 22:02:15

Everyone's allowed to be sometimes! If you have a long commute home it's probably worth asking them to do a change just before pick up, then you're sorted till bedtime...

SCARYspicemonster Mon 26-Oct-09 22:09:04

I think 1.30 - 5pm is too long in the same nappy. I might well leave my DS in one that long but my CM wouldn't dream of it and I wouldn't expect a nursery to either. They should do nappy changes every 3 hours shouldn't they (and assume your child has been in the nappy they arrived in at least 1/2 hour)? I don't think I'm particularly fussy (I'm not at all actually) but I know my CM changes nappies every 3-4 hours.

Meglet Mon 26-Oct-09 22:09:15

I think yanbu. My ds's nursery changes them at 10:30, 1pm and 3:30 (plus more often if poo-y). I'm not sure what they do for the kids who have breakfast or stay until close at 6pm as mine aren't there that long. I've always assumed nurserys had a pretty strict change routine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now