Talk

Advanced search

to not let DS1 have a quad bike

(19 Posts)
frightstick Sun 25-Oct-09 21:03:40

I'm over analyzing but here goes anyway.

DS1 is 3.5. He has his heart set on Father Christmas bringing him one of those battery operated Quad bikes which are about £150. FIL has said that he will buy him one. It would make him so very happy but I don't want him to have one for the following reasons.

- We are living in a rented house and, while we have room for him to ride it and store it now, we may not have in the future.

- I worry about him having everything he wants. If he gets this at 3.5 what is he going to expect later on (cue childhood angst over never getting a Sindy House). I don't want to raise a spoilt brat.

- DS2 is only 8 months and, if FIL was going to buy a big present like that, I'd rather he did it at a time when both of them were old enough to enjoy it. I worry that DS1 will get all the good stuff to himself and DS2 will only ever be allowed to play with them as handmedowns.

- I would rather FIL bought him an overpriced wooden fire station and engine because I think it looks lovely.

My husband and FIL say I'm being miserable.

Feel free to agree with them.

frightstick Sun 25-Oct-09 21:04:33

Oh and also, I just worry that it will be a nightmare for me as he'll always want to go on it and I won't have the time to supervise him properly.

Ponders Sun 25-Oct-09 21:06:48

Nope, agree with you. 3.5 will get on very well with any kind of self-propelled (ie scoot-along) vehicle; if he stops, it will too.

Quad bikes dangerous & unnecessary for little ones.

HTH smile

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Sun 25-Oct-09 21:06:58

We gave DD one for her 2nd birthday BUT we have a huge garden and a farmyard at the back of our house, I don't hink I would have bought her one if we had to take it everywhere to use it. H

FuriousGeorge Sun 25-Oct-09 21:20:47

Where will he ride it?

frightstick Sun 25-Oct-09 21:24:41

Our garden is big (over 100 ft) so he could ride it up and down there, but to be honest I think it will be more trouble that it's worth. Surely they are meant for children with a spare field!

DH is always buying ridiculously impractical presents because deep down he would like one. When we lived in a much smaller house with no garden DH bought DS (who was 2 at the time) a miniature cricket bat complete with LEATHER cricket ball angry!

MitchyInge Sun 25-Oct-09 21:31:07

I agree with your husband and father in law - a bit unfair to say child A can't have something because child B won't be able to use it for a while

oh go ON, he'll have so much fun

FiveGoMadonTheDanceFloor Sun 25-Oct-09 21:33:31

DS loves sitting on DD's quad bike and DH goes of with him, but 100ft garden is still small.

foxinsocks Sun 25-Oct-09 21:36:58

lol at 100ft garden being small

listen, we have a 12 foot garden and I still got ds one of those plastic (pushalong) motorbike things when he was 2 and he LOVED it (ok, not a patch on a quad bike but you know what i mean!)

can't see the problem if they want to get it for him

MmeGoblindt Sun 25-Oct-09 21:40:36

Get him a bike or a like-a-bike instead.

I don't understand the fascination with the battery powered bikes/cars/quads etc.

I prefer my DC to be out running around, using up energy (getting tired out).

EyeballsintheSky Sun 25-Oct-09 21:41:53

I take it we're not talking about one of those things that notoriously flip over and kill people?

Vallhala Sun 25-Oct-09 21:44:18

As a kid of a divorced mum who had very little and now a divorcee with 2 DC myself, I have to say I'd let him have it as long as there were no unreasonable risks to his safety.

I'd love one still (its my birthday in a week, is 45 too old?!). well, yes, its too late for me and time flies... they're only young once and only get a certain amount of time to have such toys before they're too big.

I am sure that as you are conscious of the pitfalls of raising a spoilt child your won't be like that and will appreciate what they have, no matter how much is spent on them. My DDs have a friend here at present, from a well off family - she's 14 and gets a lot of material goods but is far from a spoilt brat.

Yes, you MIGHT move... but who's to say it won't be to a home which can accomodate the bike.

Besides, with respect if the in-laws can afford this for your lad, I'd imagine that when your babe is older they will do much the same for him. Your FIL sounds lovely! Again, my 2 don't see my ex MIL and my FIL died before I met my ex - consider your kids lucky and accept... go on Mum!

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Sun 25-Oct-09 22:00:25

whats wrong with something like this? ds2 has one and loves it,we don't even have a garden!!

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Sun 25-Oct-09 22:02:36

Vallhala had a go on one of these they are great and I am 34 lol

Vallhala Sun 25-Oct-09 22:12:40

Lady... if you DARE tell my 12 yo DD about those I will search you out and throttle you! (Or at least tell you to buy it for -me- her!).

How cool is that!

frightstick Sun 25-Oct-09 22:16:05

Vallhalla, you make good points.

My husband's theory is that you have the rest of your life to have your hopes and dreams crushed underfoot so why start at 3 grin

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Sun 25-Oct-09 22:26:00

sends secret message <Vallhalas DD...drive mum mad until she buys you one>

Vallhala of course I wouldn't tell her lol

Mind you they are brilliant!! when I say I had a go I mean I was riding it round a car park (everyone rides there on a sunday) and it is excellent..

diddl Mon 26-Oct-09 09:27:01

YANBU.

I think a bicycle would be much nicer, tbh.

But I do think YABU to say oldest can´t have something because youngest is too young to use it.hmm

pranma Mon 26-Oct-09 13:38:44

My dgs has a mini quad bike and finds it very boring indeed-he has abandoned it totally in favour of a pedal tractor and a balance bike[I didnt buy any of these btw]I did buy a lovey wooden padded ride-on bee which has hardly been looked at.[Kids seem to have too many big toys these days]

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now