Talk

Advanced search

to find Ian Hislop's snotty comments on HIGNFY about mumsnet being 'a website for young mums' who wasted the PM's time asking about biscuits, rather patronising.

(103 Posts)
Flumpity Sun 25-Oct-09 13:36:17

whilst i quite agree that it was pretty silly for whoever asked the PM about his favourite biscuits when he came on for the webchat the other day, it still annoyed me that ian hislop (who has clearly never visited mumsnet) focussed only on that one silly question, and made a great point about what a ridiculous waste of the PM's time coming onto a 'young mums' lightweight website was.

I'm not saying the PM's chat was much good - it wasn't - he just trottted out stock soundbites, BUT it is irritating to have a huge community of mostly intelligent debating women written off by smug mr Hislop as a pointless waste of time, purely because one idiot asked the PM about his favourite biscuits.

shame because i usually like Ian and Have I Got News for You.

GhoulishFan Sun 25-Oct-09 13:47:59

I think the whole thing is stupid - it was ONE question, rather frivilous, but we can't be serious all the time

I don't think the question-asker EVER imagined this furore... and I don't think they were an idiot.

I think the idiots are those that are making such a song and dance over one fucking question, when really he didn't answer many of them (esp not in any great depth)

madamearcati Sun 25-Oct-09 13:49:25

I think it does show MN in a very poor light , makes us sound like complete airheads-sorry

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 13:49:53

you are being more derisory than hislop.tis you being a nippy sweetie calling someone an idiot

posters can ask what they wish
biscuit related or not

who made you editor in chief

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sun 25-Oct-09 13:50:38

Ian Hislop is ALWAYS smug and snotty, though. He probably needs some custard creams to cheer him up.

JANEITEPatrickNormanMcHennesy Sun 25-Oct-09 13:52:13

Oh and why on earth shouldn't people ask about biscuits? I am very intelligent wink but I still like biscuits and am happy to talk about them! Your tone, OP, is just as snotty as Hislop's.

Ivykaty44 Sun 25-Oct-09 13:54:14

yabu

it is his job to be smug and snotty and that is what he gets paid for.

HIGNFY wouold be a tad boring if it was all nice

and besides I just loved being called young wink

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 13:54:14

hislop didn't call a anyone an idiot.unlike you

Flumpity Sun 25-Oct-09 13:56:24

brilliant! love the snippyness getting at me now for sticking up for non-biscuit questions. fair dues.

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 25-Oct-09 13:57:30

Who was the 'idiot' in question, btw? Can't be bothered to trawl the thread.

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 13:58:42

irony of you harrumping at his tone,when you cast aspersions on someone else.you note he is "snotty" but hey you call someone an idiot?

nice

cornsilk Sun 25-Oct-09 13:59:31

What a rude op.

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 25-Oct-09 13:59:47

ScottishMummy, have you ever not disagreed with someone who wants know if they're being unreasonable?
grin

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 14:00:19

trot on

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 25-Oct-09 14:00:52

grin grin

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 14:01:45

ghoul usually aibu are so blindingly wrong one cant agree

dittany Sun 25-Oct-09 14:02:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GhoulsAreLoud Sun 25-Oct-09 14:04:20

To be fair to IH, I think he just hasn't bothered to find out what MN is like, and his main axe to grin was with GB, and not MN.

But, he did basically say that the PM shouldn't bother engaging with mothers because we're not important or likely to ask him any kind of challenging questions. Which was rude.

Was probably tongue in cheek though? It is supposed to be a funny show.

cornsilk Sun 25-Oct-09 14:04:44

Ian Hislop was a twat before last week's HIGNFY so nothing new there. Flumpity (have you name changed?)is rude.

SimonHowl Sun 25-Oct-09 14:06:06

i have evidence of his twat dom
I started a thread that night to say as much
cant be arsed to find it

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 14:06:06

hislop raison d'etre is ti be provocative on telly.it is his job

cornsilk Sun 25-Oct-09 14:07:04

I don't need to see the evidence to think that he is a twat but I would quite like to.

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 14:08:00

i think he is funny obsequious wee man

dittany Sun 25-Oct-09 14:08:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scottishmummy Sun 25-Oct-09 14:11:31

young mums is complimentary.cant knock that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now