Talk

Advanced search

oh god we've got mice, I've seen two tonight, I'm a bit freaked out...

(20 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Sat 24-Oct-09 22:48:49

does anything work? I've trapped two but I don't want to use poison because I have a one year old.
Do those noise boxes work?

luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 22:50:50

choc biscuits to lure them and then get a fridnly box and let them out more than 6 miles away or something like that! Mice are cute though - at least they're not rats!!!

famishedass Sat 24-Oct-09 22:51:25

I don't know anything about noise boxes, and think you're wise not to use poison with a child around but how did you manage to trap the mice?

Washersaurus Sat 24-Oct-09 23:03:19

Our cat brought one in once and it hid behind/under/in the tv cabinet for days (with cat watching over it)...until I had the brilliant idea to lure it out with breakfast cereal in a box.

My plan worked and DH we swiftly relocated the mouse a few streets away to make sure it didn't get brought in again.....like the frog that the cat caught several times - we knew it was the same one because it still had our carpet fluff stuck to it.

luciemule Sat 24-Oct-09 23:05:41

in case you were looking online for a 'fridnly' box, I meant friendly!!!

KnottyLocks Sat 24-Oct-09 23:22:45

Used to think mices v v cute until invasion last year. Drove me of my chuffin rocker. Became obsessed with cleaning (not ususal) to get rid of the bleeding perishers.

In end went all out attack:

Locks on cupboards, poison traps inside.
Any poss entrance holes blocked with tin foil.
Plug in anti-mouse thingys.
Sweeping every night...argh.

Ironic that Ds1 asked for mouse as pet, little knowing mother killing any mouse in 2 mile radius. blush

KnottyLocks Sat 24-Oct-09 23:25:32

Friendly box fine, but you have to take the little fellas over 6 miles away to release them, or they find their way back. Impressive, but irritating.

KnottyLocks Sat 24-Oct-09 23:27:47

They love peanut butter and raisins. Am certainly understanding the peanut butter bit.

KnottyLocks Sat 24-Oct-09 23:30:09

Sorry spelling gone to pot. The wine has done for me. grin

LauraIngallsWilder Sat 24-Oct-09 23:30:28

As far as I know the noise boxes keep them away but wont work at getting rid of them if they are already there

sb6699 Sat 24-Oct-09 23:44:55

You need to get rid of the mice first and then get a noise box to keep them away.

And dont even think of using the ethical mouse traps - they're useless. You need the gold old fashioned snap down ones.

MillyR Sat 24-Oct-09 23:49:03

Get old fashioned traps and put them at right angles to the skirting board. Use kit kats. Do it now; it is more humane to kill a few at the beginning before they reproduce.

FluffyPumpkins Sat 24-Oct-09 23:51:14

No dont waste your money.
We have the noise thingy £29.99 for nothing.

we use snap traps or glue traps..

MilkNoPoisonPlease Sat 24-Oct-09 23:51:52

We used the sticky pads...was horrible throwing them away but was 100x better then if they had reproduced.

The poison didnt do much tbh

msmerlin Sun 25-Oct-09 09:30:37

Get a cat is my advice. The sound things don't work.

babybarrister Sun 25-Oct-09 09:35:18

poison works as do glue traps - nasty but effective blush I posted on here about them and got a roasting but most effective thing we used by a long, long, long way ......

tried humane traps, v expensive noise things you plug in, rentokil, wire wool etc etc ....

glue works - just do it!

bigTillyMint Sun 25-Oct-09 09:43:00

Glue traps are the way to go if you have someone in your house prepared to get rid if the dead(ish) mouse in/on the trapgrin

It's the only thing that works without fail!

bran Sun 25-Oct-09 10:02:18

We have waves of mouse invasion because we live in an apartment and they can move freely through the ducting for pipes and electricity wires. We do clear them out but eventually another one or two will find their way in and we have to start again. We can't get at the points where they enter without ripping out our kitchen units, the bath and the shower.

I find that we have to use several methods as they learn to avoid the trap if they have a close escape. Glue traps do work well but you're supposed to check them regularly so that the mice don't suffer too much. I have a bucket of water on the terrace to drown them in. Poison is currently working well, we pull out the kick board from under the kitchen cabinets and put the poison behind it so the kids can't get near it.

As others have said it's best to have an all out onslaught before they get a chance to breed.

fizzpops Sun 25-Oct-09 10:58:52

We have had these - and before DD rats as well! blush

What we did was block any holes they might be using to get in, including those under the floorboards if poss. It was possible for us as we were renovating our house, hence the multitude of holes and pipes for them to climb through/ up.

We also made sure there was no food left out so they were REALLY hungry and would get bolder investigating.

Then once all the holes were blocked we put out a humane trap and kept doing this till we had got them all - were only two in the end I think.

The rats were a similar story but a larger trap with bait.

In our case we are in a terrace with all the houses linked under the foundations so they were hard to contain. We are pretty sure they can't get back in to our house but I'm not sure all our neighbours have taken the same measures.

Beveridge Sun 25-Oct-09 12:22:49

I used snap-type traps - but not the old fashioned wooden ones with wire but plastic ones that instantly crushed their heads - no chance of a leg being caught or them having a slow lingering death. Sorry, I don't have the name of them and I can't see any exactly the same on line but it was easy to dispose of any bodies from them, you just squeezed it open like a big bulldog clip, tipped them out and and it would stay set like that. I got them from a local 'bargain basement/99p type shop that sold absolutely everything.

I had 2 traps and put them along the edge of the kitchen units(mice usually won't cross open spaces)with peanut butter on them. I did want to use the humane traps but I realised I was unlikely to get up at 4am and drive 6 miles to release said mouse, but thought being stuck in a humane trap for hours was very stressful for them too.Also took the advice of mouse-afflicted friends that I should look upon it from a Malthusian approach - kill 2 0r 3 now or have to kill 20-30 or more in a few months!

I also stuffed up any gaps (e.g. around pipes) with steel wool (they don't like chewing through it, apparently).

I did catch a mouse when I had been away for the weekend - came back to find the trap upturned but on closer inspection I found that THE OTHER LITTLE BARSTEWARDS HAD EATEN THE MOUSE IN THE TRAP!!shock All that was left was the fur, the tail and the limb-bones(head being squashed in the trap).Was TOTALLY freaked out and decided if it was going to be Lord of the Flies in my kitchen, I had no sympathy for them and it was "off with their heads!"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now