Talk

Advanced search

new member trying to join in a convo, anyone offer any advice, am i doing this right lol...

(22 Posts)
slbezza Sat 24-Oct-09 20:40:59

hello new to this site, i am agreeing and also disagreeing with this subject, i do think we are too soft, but on the other hand alot of 'modern' parents are far too strict, or shud we say cud do with parenting classes to be taught to show love anbd affection

comment to MIGGSIE, i wud never ask someone else to let my child win, children have to learn that they dont always win and that other people deserve to win etc. what happens when the kids are adults, u shouldnt feel guilty for winning something the same way you shud not have sour grapes about a friend winning something, children have to learn. i think im quite soft but i think that children MUST learn to share, compassion etc

haventsleptforayear Sat 24-Oct-09 20:44:00

Hello and welcome.

You need to post it on the actual thread.

ie click on the thread, and then scroll down to "add your message here".

Teensy bit of advice - sort out your grammar/text-speak before you post or you will be ignored/flamed wink

Have fun!

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 24-Oct-09 20:44:26

You need to add your reply to the thread itself. Scroll down (or up, depending on which view you have) and you'll see a box that says 'add your message here'.

And a top tip for Mumsnet - avoid text speak!

Otherwise, good luck - jump in and welcome.

onepieceoflollipop Sat 24-Oct-09 20:45:57

Agree with what others have said. Go back to the thread in question, if you want to make a point to a specific poster then you can bold his/her posting name to alert them.

shockers Sat 24-Oct-09 20:58:15

Hello there... smile

junglist1 Sun 25-Oct-09 00:36:46

Hi slbezza! Welcome and may you have good luck always on AIBU grin

JustAnotherManicMummy Sun 25-Oct-09 00:58:59

Welcome slbezza! What you've written is fine, but you need to write it properly. No text speak and proper punctuation is the order of the day on here.

Personally I avoid writing in capitals because it looks like shouting so onepiece's advice about bold is good.

If you want to make something bold, italic or strike-through you need to do it to every word or it won't work. eg every word bold is *every word bold* if you just put it at the beginning and end of the bit you want to highlight.

"Lol"ing when you are not actually laughing and using it to punctuate as you have in your thread title is generally frowned upon. It is ok to laugh when something is amusing or even PMSL, ROFL or LMAO.

Have a look at Getting Started at the top. Lots of useful hints and tips in there.

And remember, if you ever feel you've made a fool of yourself (and we all have at some point) the beauty of MN is you can just change your name and start again smile

Enjoy!

artlesschaos Sun 25-Oct-09 01:03:16

I'm new too. Welcome!
Post in the right thread, don't be too controversial to begin with and learn who the "major" posters are and don't wind them up" :0

AnnieLobeseder Sun 25-Oct-09 01:04:55

What? Winding up the major-league MNers is half the fun around here!

Welcome slbezza!

ShinyAndNew Sun 25-Oct-09 01:22:33

I agree with Annie. There is always loads of debate over 'MN royalty' getting wound up. And over 'quiches'. MN wouldn't be the same without it smile

BiteOfFun Sun 25-Oct-09 01:37:39

Oh winding the regulars up is a passport to infamy- go for it! But yes, sort your text speak out and lose the lols unless something is actually funny, and you'll be fine. Hello!

LazyJourno Sun 25-Oct-09 01:42:52

<<<<Sits down quietly in the corner and takes notes on how to "fit in" and not blow cover...>>>>>

artlesschaos Sun 25-Oct-09 01:45:11

I think you might be allowed to swear a bit here too.
I've come from a parenting forum (mentioning no names) that if you dare to type "bugger" they change it to rascal.
How cute!

ShinyAndNew Sun 25-Oct-09 01:47:42

So if you wanted advice about your DH wanting to bugger you, he would have to rascal you first? grin

BTW bumsex is a MN rite of passge grin

MrsArchieTheInventor Sun 25-Oct-09 01:49:17

Hi slbezza - not quite sure which post you're refering to in your thread text but in reply to your title - new member trying t join a convo - I'd say just go for it! Just remember that what you say is available for anyone with internet access to see at any time so keep the personal details to a minimum unless you're happy for your views to be completely free and aired, and just join in.

Don't worry about putting your foot in it or getting crossed wires - I've put my foot in it many a time, the last time being on Thursday night - sorry hf128219 and 6feetundertheGroundhogs - but in general people are mainly forgiving and respect that we're human beings who bleed when we're cut and have different views that collectively make for a diverse and colourful world! Go for it! Welcome to Mumsnet!

artlesschaos Sun 25-Oct-09 01:51:03

Yup, he'd have to rascal you. I'm too boring in the sack (apparently..informed tonight by cnut of a partner that I'm too boring) but OP, bumsex always seems to be an obsession of parenting sites. hmm
Whatever rings your bell eh?

MrsArchieTheInventor Sun 25-Oct-09 01:53:06

Enlighten me - what's 'rascalling'? I'm intrigued... smile

JustAnotherManicMummy Sun 25-Oct-09 01:53:22

artless you can say cunt. Sounds like he might deserve it too.

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Sun 25-Oct-09 01:09:08

Hang on it is NOT bumsex thread night ohhhhhhhh the rules have been broken!!!

mummysgoingmad Sun 25-Oct-09 01:10:32

OMG shock how in gods name did you get from informing slbezza on how to replay to a post to bum sex .....crazy!!! grin

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Sun 25-Oct-09 01:13:08

it wasn't me!!!!!!!!!

LadyEvenstarsCauldren Sun 25-Oct-09 01:17:30

Mummy at least she now knows how swiftly threads change direction hee hee

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now