Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to find the name Amelie really cringy?

(84 Posts)
ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 24-Oct-09 08:39:43

I know people get inspired by films for baby names but isn't it just...trying too hard, to be whimsical and bohemian and classy when in fact hundreds of sturdy English girls are now lumbered with the name Amelie...

It's not about the name, it's a very pretty name, more about the 'try hard' aspect, I actually heard a girl called by 'Amelie Mello' yesterday (like in the film)

Ok flame me now, you know lots of elfin dainty pixie like Amelies and it isn't the slightest bit pretentious...

overmydeadbody Sat 24-Oct-09 08:41:21

YANBU

I feel the same way.

piscesmoon Sat 24-Oct-09 08:44:07

I much prefer Amelia or Emily-both lovely names.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 24-Oct-09 08:46:27

Oh Phew I was expecting a load of vitriol...I'm sure that will come later but if at least one person agrees with me I can stand my ground!

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 24-Oct-09 08:47:39

Oh and the accent clinches the name for me - said in a parisian accent it's sexy and classy, in an english accent...sounds like 'emily' gone wrong.

thedollshouse Sat 24-Oct-09 08:48:25

I think it is pretty, not try hard at all.

Amelia is lovely but very popular, most people already have an Emily in their family so Amelie is a pretty alternative.

sprogger Sat 24-Oct-09 08:51:03

I think you're grasping for a reason to feel superior to people and are using an overcooked sense of national loyalty to do so.

(Not a mother of an Amelie, btw. But I think it's a lovely name.)

SCARYspicemonster Sat 24-Oct-09 08:51:35

I know an Amalie who is 42 wink

Lonicera Sat 24-Oct-09 08:55:08

What film?

I don't get out much

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Sat 24-Oct-09 08:59:18

Oh no sprogger it's nothing to do with national superiority [baffled] I'm english. It's a beautiful french film that came out 6/7 (?) years ago with a beautiful, ethereal, dreamy lead character called Amelie. Hence an infux of english girls called amelie.

Of course the name existed before the film but was more rare in the UK!

I don't think I feel superior (at least no more than I do to anyone who gives their child a name I don't like grin)

preggersslaysandchops Sat 24-Oct-09 08:59:30

YABU

Perhaps people also heard the name via the film and thought it was pretty. It doesn't mean they are trying to demonstrate to everyone else they watch foreign films and therefore 'ooh, aren't we cool'. People find names they like from all different sources, doesn't mean they are trying to prove anything to anyone else.

VerityBrulee Sat 24-Oct-09 09:01:00

YABU to offend all the mums of Amelies so early in the morning - not a good way to start the weekend.

MadameDuBain Sat 24-Oct-09 09:01:42

I can see how it had an exotic appeal at first but yes, now it's all over the UK it has become a bit twee. Audrey Tautou is of course fab but the film and the character were both a bit annoyingly fluffy really.

(Audrey though, now there is a classy name)

sprogger Sat 24-Oct-09 09:05:38

Er yes, it's obvious you're English, Kat. Hence your comfort in announcing to the world that the "English" versions of names are superior to any other national variation.

anonymous85 Sat 24-Oct-09 09:07:40

What does it sound like

CybilAviationAuthority Sat 24-Oct-09 09:08:03

I love the film but the name is slightly twee

diddl Sat 24-Oct-09 09:08:48

I think it´s a lovely name and don´t see it as "try hard".

That to me is a made up or differently wrongly spelt name.

Frrrightattendant Sat 24-Oct-09 09:10:09

Well, I wouldn't start a thread about it but i do have an aversion to children being named after recent films. Not sure why. I don't really like 'fashion' I suppose, it seems a bit embarrassing to do something everyone else is doing.

again I don't understand why I find it such.

yojojo Sat 24-Oct-09 09:10:12

YABU, I have an Amelie, wouldn't have heard of the name if it wasn't for the film but certainly isn't an attempt to be 'whimsical and bohemian'. I chose it because its a pretty name.
Also,lots of people use films as inspiration for their childs name.I don't get why you choose Amelie in particular

Frrrightattendant Sat 24-Oct-09 09:11:26

I don't like the name though in itself - reminds me of Anerley, suburb of Bromley smile

TheFoosa Sat 24-Oct-09 09:12:13

I know an Amélie but she is french

Frrrightattendant Sat 24-Oct-09 09:12:33

No offence Yojojo, you would almost assuredly hate my kids' names, most people do!!

yojojo Sat 24-Oct-09 09:19:20

nah i wouldn't hate them,unless you have completely made them up inspired by various family members names and the brand names of your favourite trackies/alcopop/handbag etc

EyeballsintheSky Sat 24-Oct-09 09:24:51

I think YABU really. The name itself is a bit floaty for me but people have always used names that are in fashion at the time. What's different? Fictional characters are often used as inspiration. DD is named after my favourite ever fictional character, difference is that my favourite book was televised in the 70's and not now. No big deal, happens all the time.

MaggieBruja Sat 24-Oct-09 09:27:50

I don't really hate it or anything, but around the time of that audrey tatou film there was an absolute spate of Amelies.

I prefer just Emily. It may be more popular, but it's less, oooooh I'm a fan of a French film doncha know?

Just pick Emily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now