Talk

Advanced search

To not let DS go trick or treating?

(61 Posts)
Deemented Sat 24-Oct-09 07:57:44

DS is five, and this year is the first year he's actually asked to go out trick or treating.

Don't get me wrong, i love halloween, but i really don't feel comfortable with the concept of letting him knock on strangers front doors asking for things. We have only lived in the area since the beginning of the year, and aside from our direct neighbours on either side (who we don't particularly get on with) we don't really know many people here.

However, i have planned a halloween themed day - carving pumpkins in the morning, making grusome cakes, halloween themed dinner and then i thought i'd let him dress up and answer the door to any t&t'ers we have. He however is not best pleased.

What do you think? AIBU?

ssd Sat 24-Oct-09 08:14:27

YABU

take him round a few doors, thats all he wants

posieparksherbroom Sat 24-Oct-09 08:17:21

I think you should take him, knock on doors that show signs of halloween.

fernie3 Sat 24-Oct-09 08:19:32

we go trick or treating but only to people we know.

JJsandcat Sat 24-Oct-09 08:27:56

We will put up balloons and a few other items to signal that we expect children who come trick or treating.

I think it's a great thing, esp. if you're new to the area you are bound to meet people some way. Your LO will love it.

Do you know anyone else who's going for a ToT? Could you join in?

rimmer08 Sat 24-Oct-09 08:29:48

i hate halloween so yanbu

BooingTheBestICan Sat 24-Oct-09 08:42:05

Could you not ask your immeadiate neighbours if its ok if you bring ds round trick or treating?

I dont agree with it myself & we only go round to gp's homes & our elderly neighbour across from us as he asks us too.

I wouldnt take him round the whole street though.

piscesmoon Sat 24-Oct-09 08:42:18

YANBU -I think that your idea sounds lively.
Unfortunately you will be in for about 6 yrs of argument. I am glad to have passed out the other side. Mine went to Hallowe'en paries and dressed up BUT no way would I let them harrass the neighbourhood trick or treat however many tears etc. Apart from anything else why on earth would they want more sweets than they would eat in a year-many of the cheap, horrible, teeth rotting variety?
We are going away for the night to escape the whole horrible thing! Stick to your instinct and don't give in-they get over it eventually and it doesn't ruin their childhood.

deaddei Sat 24-Oct-09 08:46:35

Rimmer said it.
A load of bollocks.

monkeypinkmonkey Sat 24-Oct-09 08:48:06

I think YBU just take him around the houses that are decorated. I know this is the 1st year my ds really aware of halloween, so we have bought lots of decs as sweets so he can have fun giving sweets out to trick or treaters.
Will prob pop around street with him for a short will in early evening.

Deemented Sat 24-Oct-09 08:51:52

See, that's it, picesmoon - we also had a letter home from the school yesterday from the local police saying that they would prefer us not to let our dc trick or treat. Having not been here for last years halloween, i don't know what the neighbourhood is like, so i'm thinking i'll probably stick to my guns on this one - unfair or not...

piscesmoon Sat 24-Oct-09 08:58:02

I find it weird that people spend their time telling DCs to keep away from strangers and not accept sweets and yet for one day a year they actively encourage the opposite!
I would have nothing against a couple of visits, but it is a steady stream all evening-ending up with teenagers with one bin bag and a mask between them! I can be reasonably enthusiastic twice but, even if they are beautifully dressed, the smile is a little stretched by the 6th lot!

diddl Sat 24-Oct-09 09:05:36

Our children only go to the houses of people they know-thought that was what all the youngsters did!

BooingTheBestICan Sat 24-Oct-09 09:06:53

We are lucky round here,we only get visits from the family round the corner,we dont get the teenagers.

Saying that one yr we did & they had a mask on & held their hand out for money,there were 4 of them & i gave them £1,they looked at it as if to say is that it?

My in-laws had their home egged one yr & our local shop stops selling eggs & flour to under 16's about now.

piscesmoon Sat 24-Oct-09 09:07:37

Not round here diddl-I wish they did! I am lucky if I know one lot!

posieparksherbroom Sat 24-Oct-09 09:12:41

OP, It's a different story of the Police have requested that you don't.

YANBU. I wouldn't let mine.
We don't put any decs up but get a load of local young kids demanding sweets and then later the older oens come out.
Pisses me right off.

We haven't had police warning here but doesn't surprise me TBH, we have had letters home about bonfire night not being an excuse to set fire to teh neighbourhood thoughgrin

girlsyearapart Sat 24-Oct-09 09:33:41

I have taken my niece and nephew about 3 or 4 times. We only call on houses where there are halloween decs up or people we know.

My 2 yr old has been bought a dress up outfit by the ILs this year and will go to a couple of houses of people we know/are related to. Mainly to show off her dress..

Isn't it a good compromise to go to decorated houses on your street?

Will be rueing halloween by the end of the night as the dog barks so loud every time the door goes I'll be driven crazy!

piscesmoon Sat 24-Oct-09 09:42:51

There are no decorated houses on our street-there seems to be a real mismatch-lots of DCs doing it and no decorated houses. It doesn't stop them!

HerBewitcheditude Sat 24-Oct-09 09:50:24

ROFL at police advice implying that the laws on arson are not suspended on November 5th.

pigletmania Sat 24-Oct-09 10:06:48

YANBU it is a form of begging IMO and if you read about it used to be a form of blackmail. You can still enjoy halloween without trick or treating, you spend all year teaching kids not to talk to strangers and accepts sweets from them and then encourage this in the form of trick or treating.

Callisto Sat 24-Oct-09 10:13:45

YANBU - I loathe the whole concept on so many levels and will never allow DD to do it.

SerendipitousHarlot Sat 24-Oct-09 10:20:54

Blimey. Bunch of miserable beggars, you lot grin

I don't see any harm in it at all! We've always gone, it's only an hour and we only knock on doors where they're clearly expecting trick or treaters.

It's only a bit of fun for an hour once a year! What's the problem?

Clayhead Sat 24-Oct-09 10:23:56

YANBU, I never allow dc to do it and find the whole thing loathsome. Find it very intrusive and would hate my kids to go begging, which is what I view it as.

SerendipitousHarlot Sat 24-Oct-09 10:26:45

You seriously view it as begging?

When people have specifically gone out to buy sweets ready for the dc that might knock?

This is a crazy world we live in....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now