Talk

Advanced search

To spend a bit too much money on looking good-?

(15 Posts)
poshsinglemum Fri 23-Oct-09 20:49:49

I feel a bit guilty.

I don't buy designer as I am on benefits but I saw a lovely coat today in New Look. It's a real cheapy and only cost 30 quid but rent is due and I should have spent it on something more sensible.

I have always been the type of girl who would rather but a pair of shoes than a driving lesson for eg.

When I was single without kids I spent far too much money on fashion.

I'm not big into makeup but I love protect and perfect.

I also get highlights which are very cheap from my home visiting hairdresser. she charges 30 quid for cut and colour but if I was being really frugal I would cut and colour it myself!

Now I can't go mad but I hate not looking good.
I do spend money on dds wardrobe too by the way.

I know I am being silly but I need to stop the guilt.

poshsinglemum Fri 23-Oct-09 20:50:28

Mabe I don't look good as I can't afford Boden etc!

cupofteaplease Fri 23-Oct-09 20:52:02

Can you pay the rent, or did you spend the rent money on the coat? I think that is the big difference!

TanyaBranning Fri 23-Oct-09 20:54:52

I wouldnt spend my mortgage money on clothes (!), but I do splurge on stuff I cant really afford quite a bit and have always got a credit card bubbling away (eek), which I use almost entirely for clothes. I work full time at the moment and need to look good for work. No alternative.

poshsinglemum Fri 23-Oct-09 20:55:55

I can pay the rent but it will be tight!

I will have enough food.

i am being a bit silly. I didn't impulse buy either. i put it back for a day and thought about it.

poshsinglemum Fri 23-Oct-09 20:56:43

I think that it is good for my self esteem!

artlesschaos Fri 23-Oct-09 22:18:49

Don't see the problem. I gave up fags when pregnant with DC1....they are almost 3 now and I'm still spending £20 a month on fricking nicorette inhalators..now as we are pretty skint THAT is stupid and selfish. blush

artlesschaos Fri 23-Oct-09 22:19:33

At least a coat is useful and keeps you warm.

poshsinglemum Fri 23-Oct-09 22:21:39

Thats what I thought and as I don't drink any more or do anything fun and wild I might aswell splurge.

Thanks for easing the guilt.

SixtyFootGhoul Fri 23-Oct-09 22:22:57

If you have no other coats then 30 quid for a coat is OK
If you already have coats and money is tight I would get something cheaper o treat yourself with

hanaboo Fri 23-Oct-09 23:14:46

artlesschaos, you're addicted to inhalators grin

hanaboo Fri 23-Oct-09 23:16:54

oh, and op, yabu for reminding me i should be feeling guilty about the jeans i just bought... i had managed to banish all guilt until now

poshsinglemum Fri 23-Oct-09 23:36:11

I already have coats. I have a thing about them. Theyve taken over from the shoes.

witcheseve Fri 23-Oct-09 23:46:00

A bit of common sense, you pay for the roof over your head first, then food on the table, then buy the coat.

I'm a bit of a coat person myself, bought a lovely dark purple three quarter mac from new look recently. £28 quid. It looks great. I know my limitations so spend on outerwear. Don't get my nails done, minimal amount spent on make-up but always wear it.

Hmm poshsinglemum wish I'd thought of that name. grin

artlesschaos Sat 24-Oct-09 22:17:34

Yup. Addicted to nicotine inhalators. Although I make one last all day now...still.
I am trying to wean my toddler off her dummy yet still have my own white, plastic "comforter" in my pocket.
I can see the irony. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now