Talk

Advanced search

For not letting DS buy a designer jacket?

(18 Posts)
PinkPatrick Fri 23-Oct-09 14:48:09

DS is 11 and whilst on holiday in the US he found a Calvin Klein suit jacket in the sale. It was supposed to be $85 but it had 20% off.

I still thought it was too much to pay for a jacket which would get limited use so I refused to let him buy it (his own holiday money).

Anyway I'm just wondering what everyone else would have done. DS is hell bent on being a famous actor, it occupies his every thought and he loves to parade around in "posh" clothes. Bearing that in mind, he probably WOULD have worn it quite a bit, even if everyone else thought he looked a bit ridiculous.

WIBU?

cocolepew Fri 23-Oct-09 14:49:14

If it was his own money I would have let him.

morethanyoubargainfor Fri 23-Oct-09 14:51:42

I would have let him buy it, he is old enough to understand and it was his money.

colditz Fri 23-Oct-09 14:55:27

I'd have let him buy it if it was his own money.

GhostlyPixieOnaPumpkin Fri 23-Oct-09 14:59:45

I think you were - he is 11, which is old enough to decide what he wears, and old enough to spend his money of what he chooses too, regardless of whether you want him to or not - unless it's something dangerous, or that you have a good reason to prevent him having - but AFAICS he needs to wear clothes, so why couldn't he have a Calvin Klein suit jacket?
So yes, YABU.

PumpkinOnSourdough Fri 23-Oct-09 15:02:58

You should have let him have it. Clothes can be very instrumental in demonstrating who we are/would like to be and obviously important to him. I do see your point in putting your foot down over frivolous spending, but this doesn't seem too bad. If it had been $300.....

emsyj Fri 23-Oct-09 15:06:10

YABVU - his money, his decision. Either it would have been something he loved, wore loads and kept as a memento of his formative years (in which case = great investment) or he would have worn it once, then realised it was an utter waste of his holiday spends = lesson learned for the future.

LetThereBeRock Fri 23-Oct-09 15:09:18

YABVU.It was his money and I don't see why $68 dollars,about £41.50 according to a currency converter, is excessive for a jacket. Fair enough if you had to buy it for him but he had his own money.

diddl Fri 23-Oct-09 15:11:35

I think I would have let himwith his own money, tbh.

Although his motives for wanting it made megrin andhmm

anonymous85 Fri 23-Oct-09 15:12:44

Is there anyway of still getting it?

slowreadingprogress Fri 23-Oct-09 16:09:11

Yep YWBU. His money, his choice.

BarakObamasTransitVan Fri 23-Oct-09 16:16:20

Agree with others - YWBU.
I think he sounds sweet.

firsttimemama Fri 23-Oct-09 16:17:27

Very controlling of you to not let him have it IMO.

bruffin Fri 23-Oct-09 16:24:38

If DS wanted something like that and I knew he would wear it, I would have bought it for him, especially if he was prepared to use his own money to pay for it.
If it was something he would have worn once, I would have tried to persuede him not to buy it.

Firawla Fri 23-Oct-09 20:07:40

YABU it was his own money and as someone else mentioned its not excessive really for a jacket, as compared to some designer jackets, but the point is if he had the money and wanted to spend on that its his choice

pointyhat Fri 23-Oct-09 20:16:00

like everyone else says, if it's his money he should make the choices.

Twintummy Fri 23-Oct-09 20:16:45

YABU. His money, his choice. Plus I don't think it's very expensive really.

seeker Fri 23-Oct-09 20:19:42

I would have let him have it - while gently pointing out that there is more to being a famous actor - or, indeed any sort of actor - than parading round in posh clothes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now