Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed about this?

(16 Posts)
passionfruity Thu 22-Oct-09 22:35:21

I often work unpaid overtime of up to an hour every night because there is so much to do. Many of my colleagues do too, except for a few who leave on time to pick up their kids.

AIBU to be annoyed? My mum says I just have to put up with it because it's the same everywhere so I just wondered if that's true (we're in the Midlands).

ConnieComplaint Thu 22-Oct-09 22:40:31

No. Don't waor any longer than they pay you to.

I work in a very competitive environment....we all compete to be out the door by 5.29pm!!!

ConnieComplaint Thu 22-Oct-09 22:41:00

waor? work

ScaryFucker Thu 22-Oct-09 22:41:47

I think you need to move to the northwest

they don't do overtime there wink

pregnantpeppa Thu 22-Oct-09 22:42:36

is it in your contract that you have to work extra? depends on your job I think. I am contracted to work extra whenever business demands require it, and no overtime.

LynetteScavo Thu 22-Oct-09 22:44:38

I would have said it's normal, but then DH is SE, so works ridiculous hours. I used to work overtime unpaid if it was necessary, but if you are all woking so much, maybe another mameber of staff is needed?

Devendra Thu 22-Oct-09 22:45:17

Annoyed about what??? Leaving at the time they are meant to??? Get a grip and sort out your time management!

Mcdreamy Thu 22-Oct-09 22:45:32

What are you annoyed with? Are you annoyed that you have to work extra unpaid or are you annoyed that people leave early to pick up their children and therefore only work what they are paid to work?

Leeka Thu 22-Oct-09 22:51:41

Are you paid by the hour, or a salary? If paid by the hour, leave on time. If you get a salary, accept that overtime comes with the job, or make yourself more efficient so you finish all your tasks in the time allotted.

That what I think, anyway!

ConnieComplaint Thu 22-Oct-09 23:01:05

I should have said that some of my work is done in what's classed as 'antisocial' hours.

I could go to a meeting at 7pm and not leave until 11.45pm.... I don't get overtime for that, but will get the hours off later on in the week. (I'd secretly prefer doube time cash for it though) grin

bigstripeytiger Thu 22-Oct-09 23:04:00

YANBU to be annoyed. Could you try to renegotiate your workload? Or your salary? Or if the colleagues with children are able to leave on time why dont you too?

radstar Fri 23-Oct-09 10:19:57

Don't work overtime unpaid, if you choose to do it and its not in your contract to stay then yabu.

I used to stay late at work too get things done but my perspective has changed now I have ds. I won't being doing extras unpaid, even for the sake of the patients and I don't want to be charged by nursery for being late, plus I want to get home to spend time with him! smile

Also the ones that annoyed me at work were those who were out the door on the dot and didnt have kids to pick up, often more senior than me as well. If that were the case yanbu wink

PuppyMonkey Fri 23-Oct-09 10:26:50

I used to work in an office where there was a culture of unpaid overtime. If you left on time, people would go hmm. But one day, I just decided to go at 5pm - saying I had an appointment. And the same the next day. The same the next. And people stopped going hmm after a while. And now nobody really stays any longer than they have to - as it should be.

I agree, if you have "so much to do", you need to tell your boss or go on a time management course.

OrmIrian Fri 23-Oct-09 10:31:01

Yes it is the same everywhere IME. That isn't to say that you have to do it. Unless you are part-time or paid by the hour I'm afraid it's 'seen' as part of the job. Flexibility and give and take are important - clock-watching is never appreciated even when you have a good reason for it. I did 6 years part-time with school pick up at the end! I hated it.

Either
1. Speak to your manager about work loads.
2. make up for it by working over lunch or getting in earlier?
3. Grow a tougher skin and leave on time.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 23-Oct-09 11:46:53

I have only worked in one company where it was the culture to leave on time. I was shocked on my first day when everyone got up at 4.30 and queued up to clock out.

Every other company I have worked at I have worked over and above. However, I am lucky in that I have had flexible managers who have been fine with me buggering off early when I need to. It is in my contract that although my contract hours are 35 per week, I will need to work additional hours when deemed necessary by my head of department. I generally work about 45 hours per week. I must admit that anyone who is a clock watcher at this company is not taken seriously, the company has a real hard work ethic.

However, when I compare myself to the hours worked by some people in legal jobs, I think myself lucky!

Sunshinemummified Fri 23-Oct-09 11:59:41

I always work unpaid overtime. In financial services in the South East it's very frowned upon if you leave on time. Where I currently am (government body) it's much more flexible but even then we are expected to do over and above the normal hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now