Talk

Advanced search

to think that Royal Mail rip you off

(16 Posts)
happyharry Thu 22-Oct-09 14:26:28

i have just received a card telling me that they couldn't deliveer a letter due to underpaid postage. It is just slightly too big to be treated as an ordinary letter. Extra postage in £0.08 but comes to £1.08 with admin fee.

Sorry biy of a vent really.

defyinggravity Thu 22-Oct-09 14:27:57

I've had this happen to me too. I've had to go down to delivery office pick it up, pay the stupid amount they're asking, only to find out it was just a weekly newsletter from my lads school.hmm

englishpatient Thu 22-Oct-09 14:30:58

Yes, but don't you think that sending a letter from Land's End to John o'Groats for 30p is pretty good value? smile

TheDevilEatsBabies Thu 22-Oct-09 14:38:26

you can refuse the item.
but you can only refuse it if you haven't seen it.

TheDevilEatsBabies Thu 22-Oct-09 14:39:14

(btw, the cost of the charge is a result of privatization)

1dilemma Thu 22-Oct-09 14:41:14

I've had one of these for a childs birthday card.

pretty sure it's from my Mother who is so fussy it would have been weighed for sure (either that or it is the weight of the sellotape on an empty card which is putting it over)

I'm leaving it TBH

It's got to cost them more to re-weigh, send card and have someone there collecting money which they then need to bank than thay are getting!

joliejolie Thu 22-Oct-09 16:39:40

My postman never (seriously, never) delivers parcels. I always get a "while you were out" card, even when I am at home waiting for him. I usually try to catch him when I am home, but he always speeds off in the van before I can get outside.

Makes me want to cry having to drive all the way to the mail centre. I have started using couriers instead, with much more success.

shockers Thu 22-Oct-09 16:49:30

My husband asked the postman how long the strike was going to last and then added flippantly " I wish I could have a few days off!" BIG mistake... postie is the union rep and husband got a real ear bashing... that'll teach him grin
I've had a few of those underpaid ones recently... not one of them was important but I'd always be wondering.....

StrawberrySam Fri 23-Oct-09 16:45:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SqueezyCheesyPumpkin Fri 23-Oct-09 16:48:07

Don't blame the RM. Blame the person who never put enough postage on the letter in the first place. It's just a shame that the receiver instead of the sender has to pay the admin charge.

LuluDanceOnMyGrave Fri 23-Oct-09 17:04:05

By TheDevilEatsBabies on Thu 22-Oct-09 14:38:26
you can refuse the item.
but you can only refuse it if you haven't seen it.

My local sorting office always let me see who it's from first. As long as I don't open it, they can return to sender. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it's worth asking.

TheDevilEatsBabies Fri 23-Oct-09 17:13:24

grin lulu! i was only speaking from experience at my local collection office!
(but then the guy on the desk used to be an old misry guts. now i'm going out with a postie i seem to get special treatment from all of them!)

schiaparellipink Fri 23-Oct-09 20:39:24

you have to pay because the person who sent you the thing didn't pay the right postage. which costs the RM money. and each local delivery office gets tons of these every week - you would be amazed at the number of letters, cards etc that are sent without any postage on at all! The £1 charge is a handling charge to cover the ballache of having to store and retrieve all these items. it's peanuts. really.
on the plus side, if you receive a card telling you that you were out when they tried to deliver a parcel, you can request a redelivery any number of times and they will come out and do it for no extra charge. that wouldn't happen with a privately run firm.

we will miss it when it's gone you know.

TrickOrTreatersDragOnTheNoose Fri 23-Oct-09 20:42:14

My collection office lets you look at the item and decide if you want to pay the charge and open it.

AitchTwoToTangOh Fri 23-Oct-09 20:42:48

i love our posties, it'll be such a shame if the RM goes under. they do a brilliant job.

pointyhat Fri 23-Oct-09 20:46:56

no they don't rip you off. They've got to at least make an effort to get the money they are owed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now